Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 2016 guitars already at Guitar Center

Rabs

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped at Guitard Center today, and the SG standard does indeed have nibs and a bat wing pick guard. You know this already.

LP Studios have old head stock logo.

None have 0 frets.

I found that the carving on the SG was OK. Not as deep as the 60s or 2011-13, but not as flat-backed as the 2010. It was OK in my book.

Also, a 2016 J45 started hitting on me, but it wasn't a love connection. It sounded extraordinarily nice, it played really great, but it wasn't a cut away, and the glossy neck was playing tricks on me. I was truly shocked at how great it sounded. I've played many a J45 in Guitard Center, and they're always subpar. This one was a goodie though. I don't know if it was the new strings or maybe because some Dorito-fingered 13 year old hadn't found it yet, but whatever it was about that one, it was one of the good ones. It'll make some other player very happy.

no, it wasn't just you. it really sucked

Was is just me, or was that 2015 "Les Paul 100" head-stock signature horrendous?

I couldn't stand it, quite personally.

61y2CirnMkL__SL1500__zps9c453266_uofv8c.jpg

I love Les Paul the man and the innovator, and I honor his memory.

But that was butt-ugly.

I suppose it would all depend on what the terms were with the USF&W Department. My guess is that they had to agree not to import any ebony for a given length of time in exchange for not going to court and in being given some of their wood back. It appears that rosewood was returned (the Govt. Issue guitars) but not any of the grey-market ebony.

I believe that what we've been seeing is limited production models using up the existing quantity of ebony that was purchased prior to the sale which led to the investigation and the raid.

This is all speculation on my part but I can't see their premium models selling very well with Richlite. This is not to say that Richlite may not be a satisfactory replacement but it is a substitute for the genuine article nonetheless.

Maybe this will be the year Gibson goes back to using ebony. I hope so, they're doing everything else right.

I suppose it would all depend on what the terms were with the USF&W Department. My guess is that they had to agree not to import any ebony for a given length of time in exchange for not going to court and in being given some of their wood back. It appears that rosewood was returned (the Govt. Issue guitars) but not any of the grey-market ebony.

Taylor Guitars now owns the only legally forestable Ebony in the world... (apparently)

Even though im sure theres still some old stock about it wont be long till its all used up...

Also, a 2016 J45 started hitting on me, but it wasn't a love connection. It sounded extraordinarily nice, it played really great I was truly shocked at how great it sounded. This one was a goodie though. I don't know if it was the new strings it was one of the good ones.

I predict it will be yours by Christmas. :rolleyes:

I wrote to Martin so we'll see if I get a reply. They've been around forever so surely they have their own supply chain, I would think.

Cool..

Let us know what they say (if indeed they say anything :)).. It will be interesting to hear.

I heard from Martin's customer service and here it is:

Thanks for asking. We source our ebony legally through our own sources. We have a very good relationship with Taylor but do not source our ebony from them.

Hmm.. ok cool... cheers.

Obviously theres still some legal stock elsewhere..... I wonder if its just been stockpiled or they are still cutting trees for their stock?

That I don't know but I do know that Aldabra Tortoises help propagate ebony trees by eating the fruit, wandering off and then excreting the seeds.

I also know that the owners of Aldabra Tortoises state that they're exceedingly flatulent.

I was saying on another thread...

Did anyone else notice.. Those pics of the back of the headstocks of the new models say Made in 2016.. that's a lie :)

1659642963_n_zpsy9fbxlzi.jpg

Technically, yeah...at this time, it IS! But, as you well know, they're simply referring to model year!

Not exact time of production.

CB

Was is just me, or was that 2015 "Les Paul 100" head-stock signature horrendous?

I couldn't stand it, quite personally.

61y2CirnMkL__SL1500__zps9c453266_uofv8c.jpg

I love Les Paul the man and the innovator, and I honor his memory.

But that was butt-ugly.

People despised that "signature" on the headstock. If they were going to put it somewhere, the back of the headstock would have been more appropriate. Heck, even on the pick guard would have been better. Easily swapped-out if the customer wanted to.

Archived