Gibson Brands Forums

W.O.Y.M.T. ? Thread.

Digger

Well I got all the shims drilled and screwed on for the countertop and all is level. That took most of the day. Wife's stepdad was helping. He's an accident ready to happen. As many a times I've worked with him, he's always sliceing a finger, thumb or some part of his body. Today he did it again. Cutting a piece of wood with a saw and their was blood everywhere. Cut his thumb pretty bad but wouldn't show us. He is the most stubborn man I know. So off the wife and I go trying to find the first aid kits. He should have gone in and had stitches as he kept working like nothing happened getting blood on all the painted side of the wood. I had to keep wiping it off with a wet napkin. msp_flapper.gif My wife's mom was hear and commented that he's not happy till he draws first blood. So I had to make him stop and gave a safety briefing telling him to slow down and pay attention to what he was doing. Lol I kept telling him I'll do this or that but like I said, he is stubborn.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got the countertop this afternoon. This morning it rained so I had to put mowing off till later. Got that all done today.so we went to a neighborhood clean up where they had two dump trucks and got rid of the old sink where they took appliances and the truck took all the old countertop. Then Deb and I looked at flooring and prices. I know a guy who used to do professional flooring which is a friend of a friend. I may give him a call. And Rob, I sure hope you lick this set back soon too. The neighbor across the street came over today while I was mowing the front and we had a talk. It gave me a little break. Turns out he's 80 and I'm 63. He's in darn good shape but he was telling me of his aches and pains. I told him I'm not sure I want to hit 80.

We have some healing time together starting on the weekend depending on weather Butch and things will get better after that thanks. I need badly to catch some fish as it's been months as I was so preoccupied with looking after Mum.

1464036211[/url]' post='1772025']

We have some healing time together starting on the weekend depending on weather Butch and things will get better after that thanks. I need badly to catch some fish as it's been months as I was so preoccupied with looking after Mum.

Take care and have fun with Gayle. Hope you catch some big ones. See you when you get back Rob.

Take care and have fun with Gayle. Hope you catch some big ones. See you when you get back Rob.

Haven't gone yet Butch as Mum's funeral is today (Wednesday), and the weather forecast looks bad for the period we envisaged being away, so it may not happen as we had hoped.

1464122380[/url]' post='1772323']

Haven't gone yet Butch as Mum's funeral is today (Wednesday), and the weather forecast looks bad for the period we envisaged being away, so it may not happen as we had hoped.

Oh, Ok. Well, today we took the grandson to the Zoo. Looked like rain coming and planed to to indoor stuff. The wife took him in the butterfly house and said it felt like 130 degrees inside. Thought she got a sun burn in there. lol. They both did come out rosy faces. Then it heated up to 86 degrees out and felt miserably hot. Later, I screwed down the countertop this afternoon. What a Royal pain. Almost got stuck trying to squeeze in between the shelf and top drawer. Took me over 15 minutes to force myself inside. It's never coming off again! We certainly could have used one of the Munchkins from the Wizard of Oz to do that job! Lol

Yesterday was Mum's funeral service and it was held in a small local town nearby at Mum's request.

The small church is lovely and we managed to fill it right up.

Arch Deacon Gibson came out of retirement to conduct the service and what a "Rock Star" he turned out to be! The man was brilliant! Everyone loved him. "Don't worry about all that other rubbish, call me Ted?.

My eulogy was well received and Gael's recollections of her Mother-In-Law were sincere and touching.

The president of the local Senior citizens had a few words and then the remainder of that association formed an honour guard as the coffin made it's way to the hearst. We said goodbye to Mum there.

We then moved to the church hall where the girls had the tables groaning with lovely food, and spent time reminiscing with friends and family and strangers approaching us to say what a wonderful woman Mum was. All the people I spoke to, which was most, declared it the best funeral service they had ever been to! And so it should have been for a wonderful woman.

And so the day I had been dreading turned out to be a day full of love and consideration. We are truly surrounded by beautiful people.

Helen one of the parishioners gave her time and organised all the food, drink and cleaned up all the while, yet another wonderful warm person. She refused a donation, though accepted it for the ongoing repainting fund. Granddaughter Kaela has taken it upon herself to organise some effective fundraising to get the church hall repainted, she was that impressed.

Never met Helen before but she was so lovely I gave her a big cuddle when we ere leaving.

I honestly know that we did our absolute best for Mum in these final months, and that makes me happy.

Now Gael & I have our time for just us, and we can do some healing.

And as you heal from the loss of your mom, let the healing be added to your Gall Bladder too. Turns out, after I had the entire countertop screwed down in place, that the wife's step dad forgot to take in account of the tile that will be going on the wall on top of the back splash. Wanted me to take them all out and re level everything again, raising the height on one end so the tile and countertop are both level. Then re screw it all in again having to go with longer screws. Which meant I had to crawl in between two draws and stretch my hand where "No Hand Has Gone Before!" Lol let me just say if looks could kill, Marven would be a dead manmsp_cursing.gif. Very sore back and knees he left and I went out to mow before the storms came. Had to take two Ibuprofen coming back in and Marvin is there for another round. Told him if he expects me to take all those screws out again, I'm going to shoot you in the head! Lol The bad thing is 6 of the screws he had me put in under the cabinet where the sink goes ended getting cut out for the opening of the sink. Now to install the sink which is all together and ready to drop in. Then the oven and dishwasher. Already have the new microwave in and running. Then tile and floor. We're thinking we may hire the floor done.

Chuckle...if someone like you said you were going to shoot me in the head, I'd take it seriously as you certainly have the wherewithal!

(If you hear that safe opening.........RUN!)

1464384233[/url]' post='1773077']

Chuckle...if someone like you said you were going to shoot me in the head, I'd take it seriously as you certainly have the wherewithal!

(If you hear that safe opening.........RUN!)

Too funny. Yeah, I got all the firepower necessary and I don't have a few locked in the safe. Just wife and I here, no kids. But I wouldn't shoot anyone and wouldn't want too unless someone broke in the house and threatened us. Sundance has seen me shoot a couple of rabbits and if he sees the pellet rifle, Off he will go to hide, lol. Too cute. Another day struggling to get stuff done and finally got the sink in and attached. When you decide to tear apart a 100 year old farm house, you never know what your going to find and nothing is Plum. The wife wanted the kitchen operable when we first moved in so I just painted it and let other stuff in it go. Now she wants it all done and between it, waking Sundance and the yard work, I've lost weight. 5 more pounds and I'll hit my goal. 195.

Sounds like a great send off Rob!! Glad it was a time to let go & heal some.

You all try to get back to your life now as you've done all you can for others. [thumbup] Keep her close but keep it HAPPY!!

Aster

Sounds like a great send off Rob!! Glad it was a time to let go & heal some.

You all try to get back to your life now as you've done all you can for others. [thumbup] Keep her close but keep it HAPPY!!

Aster

Thanks "A" wise words indeed.

I'm glad that Mum's service was such a success as that is an enduring memory and feeling now when we think about her.

Went to the gym and worked out this morning. Came home to her mom and step dad over in our house. So we worked on the plumbing and got all that done. He wants to finish the wiring tomorrow and since he's an electrician, I let him do that job. Deb and I went to a movie in the afternoon. I got a gift card for $35.00 from the kids last April on my Birthday and still don't know what I'm going to get with it at Guiter Center? I suppose more strings and picks? Have enough picks to last many years from now.

Well, I retired (early) about two months ago and am in the "adjustment" phase of that. Company that I worked at for thirty-five years offered me a buy-out I couldn't refuse. I was getting close to retirement age when they approached me and said, "We will pay you to go away!" What could I say? The timing was perfect so I took their offer. Hence, my return to this forum, which I didn't have time for before. Everyone told me to keep busy, but my wife already makes sure of that! I also have the garage/man cave/home recording studio construction to occupy my time at present. At some point, I plan on returning to Australia on holiday, only this time I'll take the wife and son with me. I'm feeling very fortunate at this point in my life.

Good for you retired and newly retired Randyman!

I'm 56 and not close to retiring yet but my younger wife is graduating next weekend with a doctorate in Psychology and she has stated that her number one goal is to make twice as much as I make. I am so not threatened by that and I am her number one fan in that goal! BECAUSE, I would love to cut back to say half time and play and record music a lot more. That is honestly what is on my mind nowadays [biggrin]

That's probably my main motivation behind making this early retirement thing work. My wife is much younger also, and this is freeing me up to work on my music much more than I could before. When I was working, I had a few minutes here and there to work on music. And it's easy when working with the stuff that I have to burn up hours behind the laptop and mixing console. Late nights and work the next morning didn't work. But now I can do that. And with the wife at work, I have less distractions and interruptions (+:-@). Hang in there, though. Your day will come! [thumbup]

1464495978[/url]' post='1773485']

Well, I retired (early) about two months ago and am in the "adjustment" phase of that. Company that I worked at for thirty-five years offered me a buy-out I couldn't refuse. I was getting close to retirement age when they approached me and said, "We will pay you to go away!" What could I say? The timing was perfect so I took their offer. Hence, my return to this forum, which I didn't have time for before. Everyone told me to keep busy, but my wife already makes sure of that! I also have the garage/man cave/home recording studio construction to occupy my time at present. At some point, I plan on returning to Australia on holiday, only this time I'll take the wife and son with me. I'm feeling very fortunate at this point in my life.

Congratulations Randy on your retirement. Somehow that doesn't sound right though. "We will pay you to go away!" lol. My wife's 3 years younger then me and she retired the same day and month I did. They bought her out also and we love it. We get to babysit our 18 month old grandson everyday while mom and dad are at work. He is a riot. I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as we do ours.

We went in to do the grocery shopping yesterday morning and it was raining so we didn't get too adventurous at all. I told Gael that I needed some retail therapy and intended to look at laptops wanting to replace my old Win Vista machine that has been flogged to death.

I spent time at a big electrical chain store and walked out with nothing!

Very little under $1000 which was the limit of my savings ATM, and bugger all Toshiba which is my preferred brand. Very disappointing!

So we went and looked tentatively at cars.

Our main vehicle a Ford Falcon XR6 is 12 years old and my old bomb is a 2000 Falcon we have had from new! The old one needs to go!

The idea is to get a newer vehicle and pension off the old one with the XR6 becoming my tow vehicle for the boat. However we may end up with a more recent XR6 as we love them so much. Nothing much over $15 K at this dealership and that won't give us a really recent model so the looking will continue apace until we find what we want. There were a couple of Mazda 4WD's there which Gael liked the look of but I don't want to join the small (underpowered) 4WD set that seem to dominate our roads these days. More interesting were the 3 (older) BMW's they had there though i reality they are too small to be our main car....I rather fancy a BMW though.

The search will continue as we are committed to head up to Queensland in July some time and I want a better car for a trip like that. Our best friends are house sitting a luxury home inland from Maroochydore for 3 months and seem desperate for us to spend time there, and so because we love them, I guess we will.

I don't like Queensland much but then my two daughters and families live about 2 hours beyond there and we could spend time with them as a side issue. (one of the son in laws has 2 boats so if we time it right he might take me out fishing) My mate Dave and I could spend some time fishing too which would be fantastic!

So at least we have some plans for the near future and a new (used) car is an exciting prospect just on it's own.

....I rather fancy a BMW though.

I had 2, one after the other. 2002 Touring followed by LH drive 1802 Touring.

Amazing part of my life. I still dream about them occasionally.

They can get expensive but the acceleration and handling of a good BMW is one of life's happier experiences.....

How about a s/h Merc Dig? You deserve one. I had a Merc later too.......now all I've got is a Skoda!

Gee Dig our 'new' car is a 2000 model Toyota and my car is a 1996 Holden [biggrin] . Thankfully the Toyota got me up to Brisbane and Caboolture for last week without any problems but I know one (or both) of them will inevitably get something go wrong that won't be worth the cost to fix and I'll be doing the same as you. Had to get back early yesterday as the floods have arrived. Beautiful sunny morning today but I now have some water views and there's evacuations over in town so not sure if I'll get to work tomorrow - finally got the band organised for all of us to be at rehearsal today but it won't happen as drummer at least will be flooded in. [cursing]

Most modern 4WD (Pathfinder, Hilux sized Utes etc) have loads of power, but not the acceleration of your Ford I guess

I had 2, one after the other. 2002 Touring followed by LH drive 1802 Touring.

Amazing part of my life. I still dream about them occasionally.

They can get expensive but the acceleration and handling of a good BMW is one of life's happier experiences.....

How about a s/h Merc Dig? You deserve one. I had a Merc later too.......now all I've got is a Skoda!

Interesting stuff JDGM thank you.

Gee Dig our 'new' car is a 2000 model Toyota and my car is a 1996 Holden [biggrin] . Thankfully the Toyota got me up to Brisbane and Caboolture for last week without any problems but I know one (or both) of them will inevitably get something go wrong that won't be worth the cost to fix and I'll be doing the same as you. Had to get back early yesterday as the floods have arrived. Beautiful sunny morning today but I now have some water views and there's evacuations over in town so not sure if I'll get to work tomorrow - finally got the band organised for all of us to be at rehearsal today but it won't happen as drummer at least will be flooded in. [cursing]

Most modern 4WD (Pathfinder, Hilux sized Utes etc) have loads of power, but not the acceleration of your Ford I guess

The XR6 hits 100 KPH in 8 seconds and when I floor it I love the growl as it winds up! Still got plenty of testosterone even at 70....grin~

The acceleration is important as there are lost of times when you are committed to passing that circumstances change and you have to get past quicker than you thought.

Sports suspension, wide tyres, sports steering (very direct, no slop) and firm sports seats all add up to a great highway car.

It's a bit more expensive to run and hard on tyres too but as Gael drives it more than I do, I want he to be in something safe.

Heavy stuff hasn't arrived here yet but I reckon it will hit us later today.

My brother in law's family up the road have an XR8 and XR6 but what passes for roads around here just destroy cars. Then again their VW Amarok has suffered much the same fate. That (and inherent cheapskateness) keeps me happily bumbling along in the Holden for now [biggrin]

My brother in law's family up the road have an XR8 and XR6 but what passes for roads around here just destroy cars. Then again their VW Amarok has suffered much the same fate. That (and inherent cheapskateness) keeps me happily bumbling along in the Holden for now [biggrin]

The XR6 can be an unforgiving ride and low too!

Archived