Gibson Brands Forums

W.O.Y.M.T. ? Thread.

Digger

"What's On Your Mind This Day?"

This has been a useful topic elsewhere providing a centre point for anything that is on your mind on a given day. Feel free to add to it if you will.

I'll start.

Well it was a bit rough out there on the fishing charter yesterday but I love being on the ocean so much it wasn't a problem.

I had a lot of fun watching the antics of the 5 other passengers, some Asian kids trying to fish! The "deckie" didn't seemed inclined to offer them much help so there's ol' Dig showing them how to use overhead reels and teaching them how to fish basically. They were very enthusiastic, especially the three women, and the carry on when they actually caught something was a real crack-up!

Within the first few minutes of dropping a line I had a 40cm Mowong which is a really good eating fish, but after that despite moving a few times it was mostly undersized fish and rubbish really. The girls did catch a couple of nice 5 spined leatherjackets. I had a bit of a tussle with a Leopard Shark and finally netted him. I was going to drop him back but the other mob asked if they could have it, so of course I said yes.

I sat in the cabin with the skipper on the way back and we had a nice chat discussing his previous life as a commercial fisherman and his transition into charters. I will probably go back again next month and hope the fish are more co-operative. My enjoyment yesterday came more from interaction with people than fish, but when all the kids thanked me as I left I had a nice warm feeling which was enough for me.

DSCF3896_zpsquewuwmz.jpgDSCF3895_zpsyxawktyh.jpgDSCF3892_zpsqmteiyiq.jpg

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.....What we have here, is a.....

DEAD SHARK.......

Excues me Mr D but I feel sorry for that one; should have gone back....

Yeah I'm keen to return unwanted fish as quickly as I can but the others wanted him. As long as they are despatched humanely and utilised, I don't mind.

I stun keepers as soon as they are established to be legal. I hate seeing them suffocate, as that is unnecessarily cruel in my opinion.

I often scour the goodwill stores (Goodwill stores are second-hand stores that get their stuff from donations, and often aligned with charitable doings).

Got me a bunch of movies. Scored about 4 John Wayne movies. But what I wanted to yak about, was the doc I just watched on Australia. Like a nature type show.

Basically, I learned the TRUE meaning of "Outback". Not quite the same as we Americans understand it. I mean, Oz is obviously the biggest island, a whole continent, and a country that shares no borders, and pretty big (as in close to the size of the US). Yada yada. But what I didn't know was it's the largest, driest DESERT on the whole planet.

So..as anyone could imagine, with all that coastline and beaches, it's a beautiful place in a lot of it. But go into the interior, the "outback", it's like nothing. for miles. Not just a few miles. LOTS of nothing.

We complain when we get a dry summer or a cold winter that's a wee tiny bit more than "normal". California is in a drought. But the outback of Australia gets water like, twice a decade. You got a lake that gets filled up to max about twice every hundred years.

The film made a point that the wildlife there isn't just different as a result of being separated on the worlds biggest island, but also, the wildlife is geared to hunker down and survive the bad times for long periods, and breed like crazy in the good times.

I learned how to play Tie Your Mother Down today...

REALLY fun song to play [thumbup] (not sure why I didn't learn it before?)

Even though I did it by ear (as I do) I found this in case anyone else is interested.. Its such fun...

And heres a cool backing track version to play over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xen_1dtjhQ

I think I used that same channel to learn "Woman" by John Lennon for my husband. If not, I'll have to check it out! :)

Hi all, it's good to be back here [thumbup]

I'm getting back on track, recovering from a nasty virus that not only gave me a raging temperature of 102 but severely affected my balance.

I ordered a pickup for my Martin Little Martin LX1 from a company in the USA called JJB Electronics. It's the Artist Prestige 330 model. This under bridge pickup is amazing very happy with the end result. Also a great business to deal with. It cost $49.00, which including postage to the UK, the total price was £36.71. This pickup is a clone of the K&K mini.

If anyone is in the market for equipping their acoustic with a pickup then I highly recommend this. I've included a link.

NOTE: I'm in no way associated with this company. I'm just a very satisfied customer. [thumbup]

http://www.jjb-electronics.com/

Also ordered a Yamaha THR5A amp for my acoustic guitar. WOW this is a little cutie. Don't be fooled by the size, this doesn't give a tinny sound. Also handles alternate tunings very well. I like playing in open C. [thumbup] Also comes with Cubase AI 8. This amp is real easy to use and is also a USB audio interface hence the software included.

All in all I'm a happy healthy bunny :)

Kind regards, Emma :)

20151025_110103_zpsokjx2ele.jpg

1445733343[/url]' post='1705481']

Yeah I'm keen to return unwanted fish as quickly as I can but the others wanted him. As long as they are despatched humanely and utilised, I don't mind.

Your photos look like you had a good time. I was going to add that spending time teaching the others how to fish and interacting with the captain would probably made your day rather then the fish you caught. Then I saw your commit was the same. Too funny. At our age Dig. It's all about the memories though isn't it? And spending time with others and family too!

What's on my mind today?

- Sony DAT 750. I want to sell it so must record all my DATs into computer. However I haven't used the DAT machine for years and found today it doesn't work. I've spent some hours on it, took the cover off, fiddled....got the transport working ok but...no sound, not reading TOC or track number so the head isn't picking up what's on tape. Do I get it fixed somewhere (costs ££) or buy another s/h one? My finances are very tight now and I don't want to spend ANY money, nor just chuck my DAT tapes in the bin.....damn nuisance. [cursing]

- How to pack up a semi gtr which is being sold on ebay. It has no box, case or gigbag so I've got to get creative with cardboard.

- Then I also have an old Dawes bicycle to sell which I got out of the attic. Need to spend hours cleaning it up.

The above on hold for the rest of today - cooking and then guitar practice this evening.

Modding this TS9 for a customer is on my mind right now. He wants more gain and less gain from the same knob. Fortunately I can handle this.

I'm also thinking about how great the Drive By Truckers are since that's what I'm listening to while soldering. [thumbup]

0ee736c0-eee2-4054-a649-f219e4ccba57.jpg

That fish looks tasty digger :)

Modding this TS9 for a customer is on my mind right now. He wants more gain and less gain from the same knob. Fortunately I can handle this.

I'm also thinking about how great the Drive By Truckers are since that's what I'm listening to while soldering. [thumbup]

Nice!

I sprayed some finishes yesterday. Now I'm waiting for paint to dry and playing with a cool fuzz circuit on my little temporary circuit testing rig

8983CC11-0F71-4664-83ED-2E7B74B25270_zpswkrlcgl3.jpg

8485C346-1729-4686-B37D-234DE8ACB39B_zpswbhcqb9d.jpg

... and playing with a cool fuzz circuit on my little temporary circuit testing rig

That's such a smart way to test stuff out. [thumbup] Beats my strategy of buttoning it up. Plugging it in to test it. Unbuttoning it to to tweak it. Buttoning it up. Plugging it in to test it. Unbuttoning it to to tweak it.... ad infinitum... [biggrin]

That's such a smart way to test stuff out. [thumbup] Beats my strategy of buttoning it up. Plugging it in to test it. Unbuttoning it to to tweak it. Buttoning it up. Plugging it in to test it. Unbuttoning it to to tweak it.... ad infinitum... [biggrin]

I started off with sockets for the transistors to pick them out. The jacks are mounted on the top of the breadboard so I just plug it in like you would a pedal and I can choose the trannies while it's all plugged into my amp and I'm listening to it. Now I've settled on the set I will use and soldered them in, but while I wait for the paint to dry I'm still enjoying playing around with it

I'm rewinding Ripper pickups today.

12118871_1057874990903098_5145060781703175830_n.jpg?oh=94043de98e242fef1ed2d22fb1c401f8&oe=56B6D5F6

12118714_1058255567531707_3784377706884929126_n.jpg?oh=7e03fe736ff7dfb97285f90cd448f1eb&oe=56CC2614

Now what's on "my mind" is entertaining thoughts of getting some Firebird pups to go into a P-90'd guitar I got that I always thought I wanted to try.

It's got H-90's, but with this guitar, always entertained the thought of using it too put either Mini-humbuckers, or Firebird pups in it to get to know them, get into them maybe. Problem has always been finding them, and finding them in gold.

I am seeing a path here.

Yup...a "Gibson lounge tradition" that goes way back, is these guys going on about pedals and pedal builds. Was a time wheN most threads got de-railed into pedal build threads.

Brings back memories.

And now...it's MY turn to bring back a tradition around here.

I'M COOKING BACON!!!!!!

Seriously, made bacon. gonna eat it.

I am into my second day of rest, coming off of a 12 day stretch of long days and hard work. I'm exhausted. I've done a lot of work this week, had a lot of adversity (for another thread?), and now into recharge mode, getting ready for another run.

Basically, I'm in construction. I am foreman/superintendent, but I also do a lot of the work. I've kept the schedules, and also did my fair share of the labor. I've hung a lot of drywall this week and last. I am a very tired man. I'm "only" 46, but that's pretty old considering I have been doing it for like 24 years, and still trying to run like a guy in his 20's or 30's. Hard work AND long hours adds up.

Typically, I am the type of guy who will basically sleep half the day on a day off. Watch TV, or a good documentary, or a game, a movie, whatever. At times, I will cook breakfast in the afternoon, eat it, and take a good, hard snooze. No work. I'm a good lounger.

Bacon and eggs, that puts me right down into the lay-down recharge mode. Haven't had one of these days in months. Today is a GREAT day.

....And now just powered up my Behringer UFX1604 digital mixing desk and......nada.

Dead. Think it's the 250v T2A fuse this time, not the mains 13A.

2 weeks ago I unknowingly left a Solo button on and when I next turned the desk on, it kept turning itself on and off (I've never seen that before ever, with any electrical device) then blew. That time it was the 13A mains fuse.

But why has it gone again? I had it on for a few hours today with a line-in from my faulty DAT recorder while testing that, and switched off as normal afterwards.

I've ordered some T2A 250v fuses from Amazon. At least they're cheap and should get here in a few days. But there must be an underlying cause somewhere........bought it last January, have hardly used it and I may end up sending it back.

Very frustrating.

....And now just powered up my Behringer UFX1604 digital mixing desk and......nada.

Dead. Think it's the 250v T2A fuse this time, not the mains 13A.

2 weeks ago I unknowingly left a Solo button on and when I next turned the desk on, it kept turning itself on and off (I've never seen that before ever, with any electrical device) then blew. That time it was the 13A mains fuse.

But why has it gone again? I had it on for a few hours today with a line-in from my faulty DAT recorder while testing that, and switched off as normal afterwards.

I've ordered some T2A 250v fuses from Amazon. At least they're cheap and should get here in a few days. But there must be an underlying cause somewhere........bought it last January, have hardly used it and I may end up sending it back.

Very frustrating.

Might be better to have it checked as there is usually a reason fuses blow. Replacing the fuse and powering up may cause further damage, a lot of damage!

Good luck.

I am a huge TDBT fan, and have seen them many times, all at small bars and clubs. That is up until a friend of mine scored me a free ticket to see them open for Eric Church. I think TDBT got gypped sound wise opening for Eric. I had actually never heard of Eric Church, up until them. I here he's big and the show was very good. He runs around alot.

Archived