Gibson Brands Forums

W.O.Y.M.T. ? Thread.

Digger

1457748511[/url]' post='1750425']

Respect for the elderly? Not around here. It's more like "What do you know, you're old?"

Now I'm not claiming wisdom, but I have a diversity and depth of experience, as do most of us here, but with that attitude they can just go and make their own mistakes!

Bugger 'em!

I loved that John Wayne movie where he shows kids a old bull fighting a young bull. Maybe it was the Cowboys. Anyway, at the end, the young bull gives up and backs off and Wayne says to the kids, "See that Bull still standing there? Well, that's the Old Bull!" Lol msp_flapper.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a week from now Mrs Dig & I will be on a train to Melbourne where about lunchtime we are getting on a ship to sample a couple of nights cruising, whilst heading to Sydney for the balance of the week. Then flying back on the weekend. We haven't been on a cruise ship before and it's a way to try without committing to weeks of travel.

I'm having a rather big birthday on the ship so it should be different and it should be fun! Doing anything like that with Gael will be special.

Sydney is a terrific place to spend a few days and we are very much looking forward to doing touristy things there, and meeting up with fellow member here, "Eggs" and his lovely lady. We're planning meeting them at Chinatown on the Thursday night. I would go as far as to rave about Sydney as a destination!

My 92 y.o. Mum has cancer and has been pretty crook but we are hoping that we will be able to get away with the knowledge that family will step in and cover us for that week, If she isn't stable then we simply will cancel and wear the loss,. Mum is far more important. The trip was booked while Mum was going well and recent radiation treatment may be causing some hiccups at the moment, and hopefully they will settle down.

So it's a funny feeling not being quite sure if we are going or not but we have to move forward as if we are going, what else can you do? Hard to allow yourself to get excited really.

It would be nice to be away from the responsibility for a few days if we can manage it.

Fingers crossed.

Well hopefully it works out. Having a outbreak of what I call feedlot pneumonia in my yearling calves, our too dry conditions are creating too much dust and they're getting ill. Moved them out to pasture,and locked the sick ones up and dosed them up with Resflor.

Sorry to here of your calves. Hope they get better. And I hope you and the misses get away on your trip too. You'll love that Cruise, ours is still in our minds. We loved playing with the cabin stewards. It seemed every time we left the cabin, it was made perfect when we came back. So we toyed around and put something ajar, out of place, walked one lap around the hall and came back to check it and it was put back in place. We tried laying our jacket on the bed, taking a fast 2 minute walk or less, came back and the jacket was hung. Lol thought they must be coming out of the walls or underneath the floor as we never could catch her doing it. So in the end we gave her a huge tip, she deserved it. And we certainly tried to catch her in the room, never could. Their must be an alarm for them that goes off when you leave the room and they must run to check it out before you can get back.

Sorry to here of your calves. Hope they get better. And I hope you and the misses get away on your trip too. You'll love that Cruise, ours is still in our minds. We loved playing with the cabin stewards. It seemed every time we left the cabin, it was made perfect when we came back. So we toyed around and put something ajar, out of place, walked one lap around the hall and came back to check it and it was put back in place. We tried laying our jacket on the bed, taking a fast 2 minute walk or less, came back and the jacket was hung. Lol thought they must be coming out of the walls or underneath the floor as we never could catch her doing it. So in the end we gave her a huge tip, she deserved it. And we certainly tried to catch her in the room, never could. Their must be an alarm for them that goes off when you leave the room and they must run to check it out before you can get back.

I'm not saying it was aliens.....but?

1459141691[/url]' post='1755853']

I'm not saying it was aliens.....but?

Too funny but it could have been!msp_flapper.gif We never saw them. They appeared out of no where and disappeared into thin air. I thought more of Star Trek. "Beam me down Scotty." "Quick Scotty, beam me back up, there coming back."msp_flapper.gif

April 1 here and today 37 years ago Gael & I moved in together, our unofficial anniversary! We got married 2 years later.

I'm thinking maybe she was the "April Fool" for being stuck with me after that!!

1459449765[/url]' post='1757059']

April 1 here and today 37 years ago Gael & I moved in together, our unofficial anniversary! We got married 2 years later.

I'm thinking maybe she was the "April Fool" for being stuck with me after that!!

Wow! msp_thumbup.gif Today is our last day of March 31st and 36 years ago today, 1979, I asked Debbie out on our first date. Then proposed to her on June 15th and we married on November 17th that year. People said it wouldn't last. Lolmsp_flapper.gif I said, "Certainly it will, when we got married we both vowed to death do us part. If she wants to leave me, I'll have to shoot her!" Ha. Been together ever since!! Actually she loves my humor, tells me I make her laugh every day. So your 4 hours ahead of us. Congrats on you both for staying together all those years. I'm waiting to see our 50th if I make it to my 77th birthday.

Wow! msp_thumbup.gif Today is our last day of March 31st and 36 years ago today, 1979, I asked Debbie out on our first date. Then proposed to her on June 15th and we married on November 17th that year. People said it wouldn't last. Lolmsp_flapper.gif I said, "Certainly it will, when we got married we both vowed to death do us part. If she wants to leave me, I'll have to shoot her!" Ha. Been together ever since!! Actually she loves my humor, tells me I make her laugh every day. So your 4 hours ahead of us. Congrats on you both for staying together all those years. I'm waiting to see our 50th if I make it to my 77th birthday.

You don't let the grass grow under your feet do you Butch? Good on you.

As it was our second marriage we did it in a nice park and we fortunate to have a perfect day for it. Our vows didn't have "until death do us part" content but we did promise to help each other reach our full potential and be the best we could be. I think Gael went for my body...no wait on, was it my mind? No I remember, it was my sense of humour too~

1459543398[/url]' post='1757368']

You don't let the grass grow under your feet do you Butch? Good on you.

As it was our second marriage we did it in a nice park and we fortunate to have a perfect day for it. Our vows didn't have "until death do us part" content but we did promise to help each other reach our full potential and be the best we could be. I think Gael went for my body...no wait on, was it my mind? No I remember, it was my sense of humour too~

Too funny, you make me laugh. That's good but right now I laugh and start coughing real bad! This darn bronchitis.msp_cursing.gif People say, that's good, your coughing that crap out at least. Ohhh, I'm getting tired of this stuff. At least I'm not spitting out yellowish mucas anymore, now it's clear. Yea, guess I didn't believe in a long dating process Lol. Funny too. I was dating 4 women because if one couldn't make a date, then I asked the next one out and so on. It was working out ok and none of them knew. When I narrowed it down that I like just two of them the most, I dumped the other two. I wasn't going to marry any gal that had freckles, short red hair or named Debbie. Or at least that was my rules but I fell in love with a Debra or Debbie and she had short red hair and freckles. Lolmsp_flapper.gif Of course I got rid of the other gal pretty quick way before I proposed to Deb. She didn't think I'd be able to put up with her very long because she had a bit of a temper and thought I'd be the one to leave. I kept assuring her it wouldn't happen and she had doubts. So that's why I told her to make up her mind now, because if she has thoughts of leaving after we get married, I'm going to have to shoot her. Then said about our vows we were going to make. Actually, I fthink that set her at ease and she laughed about it for some time. We both got a kick out of it. But it seemed like it took me about 10 years to get hat temper out of her. I don't have one. My dad had a very bad temper like you wouldn't believe and I never wanted to be like him. That's about all I'll say about him.

Well I had a BIG birthday yesterday! 70 years old which just confirms what an ancient fossil I really am!

Didn't have much opportunity to dwell on it though as I raced in early to be at the hospital to catch the doctors and all ancillary services while they were doing their rounds.

It seems that the main doctor had authorised Mum to come home yesterday though he wanted me to approve or agree to a range of things pertaining to her treatment and conditions at home. At the same time I had the registrar asking me things, health care workers, social workers. pharmacists and also the charge nurse wanting to make arrangements for her discharge. There was equipment for home to be hired short term and modifications to her home to make things safe! It felt weird making all these arrangements about Mum's life and to be honest the experience left me drained, but as they say the "buck stops with me now" and that really sank in there yesterday morning

Now Gael had given me a nice amount of money she'd saved for my birthday present and that is because I'm impossible to buy for! I went into the major electrical bulk store in town to look at buying a Blu-Ray player and also a Sound Bar for the TV as with speakers at the back it sounds crappy. Not so easy as apparently they all have different connections as do the TVs so away I went disappointed at not getting a present then and there.

I had daughter Kellie with me as she wanted to see her Nanna and had needed a ride into town for some appointments, so she bought me a nice cuppa and we sat in the sun chatting. Gael and son Chris were now at the hospital to see Mum, 2 granddaughters too as they were down for my birthday, so I went back to the hospital and met them there.

To be honest after the morning I'd had I went home and had a short nap on the bed as I was mentally exhausted and haven't slept well for the last 8 days with Mum being so crook.

Am I having fun yet? No not really!

Went and picked Mum up later when they were ready to release her, but before that I snuck in and grabbed the gear I wanted as a present for birthday and to complete my new TV. I was told that Mum was waiting and said she can wait a few minutes longer as for once I'm going to be selfish or once and grab these couple of things I want while in town with my birthday money, and I did.

Almost all of Mum's medications had been changed and I needed to go home with the right ones for her but the fax to the chemist took a long time to get to be sent and when I went to pick them up they weren't ready as there hadn't been time. I was looking at another trip in to get them later (30 klm each time) but the chemist said "I knock off at 4.30 this arvo and have an hour before footy training, how about I bring them out home for you?

Honestly I get tears in my eyes thinking about how nice people are in our town are.

However the best part of the day was to deliver Mum home and see how happy she was to be there. We have to check on them both a number of times a day, maybe cook some meals for them and negotiate with all the health services and ancillary people that are coming in to help them. I have arranged to get Mum assessed for eligibility for respite care or a nursing home just in case they are unable to manage at home, but that is an absolute last resort! I want her normal life to continue for as long as it possibly can though that isn't likely to be long now. She has lost 20 kilos over the last 6 weeks and is barely eating!

Sorry I really shouldn't be writing all this stuff here but I need to get it off my chest I suppose.

Lastly we had a lovely meal out at a nice Chinese last night with family and friends, and they embarrassed the heck out of me by singing happy birthday. I really wished the birthday thing could have been forgotten altogether this year as it seems so trivial with what's happening to my Mum.

Happy Birthday Rob!msp_thumbup.gif Old? Depends on who you talk to. When I hit 30, kids were telling me I was "Real Old." I mean, "Really Really Old." msp_confused.gif Lol. If you talk to a 60 year old, 90's is Old. And it can get in the 100's to be old if you talk to the right person. Lolmsp_flapper.gif if your mom isn't eating too well, you might see if she will eat protein shakes. Most taste bad but Muscle Milk comes in many flavors and tastes pretty good. Another one is Monster Milk. Both come with around 25 grams of protein with one scoop. Mix it with 2% milk and a little water. I had my mother do that for My Aunt Alice when she wouldn't eat. It put a little weight on her and gave her the vitamins and minerals she needed as well as proteins and nutrients. It's not a meal replacement though but can be given twice daily I you want. GNC or nutrition stores carry that stuff and Muscle Milk is around the cheapest. You can get Vanilla, Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Stawberries, Bannana or Strawberries and Bannana, Cookies and Cream. The other has Dream cycle, Orange, and the rest above. I've even mixed a little ice cream in them before a couple of times and it tastes like a shake.

Happy Birthday Rob!msp_thumbup.gif Old? Depends on who you talk to. When I hit 30, kids were telling me I was "Real Old." I mean, "Really Really Old." msp_confused.gif Lol. If you talk to a 60 year old, 90's is Old. And it can get in the 100's to be old if you talk to the right person. Lolmsp_flapper.gif if your mom isn't eating too well, you might see if she will eat protein shakes. Most taste bad but Muscle Milk comes in many flavors and tastes pretty good. Another one is Monster Milk. Both come with around 25 grams of protein with one scoop. Mix it with 2% milk and a little water. I had my mother do that for My Aunt Alice when she wouldn't eat. It put a little weight on her and gave her the vitamins and minerals she needed as well as proteins and nutrients. It's not a meal replacement though but can be given twice daily I you want. GNC or nutrition stores carry that stuff and Muscle Milk is around the cheapest. You can get Vanilla, Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Stawberries, Bannana or Strawberries and Bannana, Cookies and Cream. The other has Dream cycle, Orange, and the rest above. I've even mixed a little ice cream in them before a couple of times and it tastes like a shake.

Thanks for that and we are trying to tempt Mum with all manner of things. As far as nutritional drinks go she has 3 glasses of Sustagen in different flavours each day. That contains many good nutrients apparently.

Not too much on my mind today. Grandpa babysat Grayson alone today and he had fun. We played Dads Vendetta guitar. He loved the cell ph and took selfies, then he listened to Wipe Out on my ph. I told him Grandpa can play that one, so picked up the guitar and played it for him. He was Boogying and and shaking and smiling. Too cute. So we went upstairs and he watched a little of the Baby channel and they showed a guitar on it and he learned how to say guitar today. Then he wanted to play with his baby toy guitar. Then I get to do it again tomorrow.

Not too much on my mind today. Grandpa babysat Grayson alone today and he had fun. We played Dads Vendetta guitar. He loved the cell ph and took selfies, then he listened to Wipe Out on my ph. I told him Grandpa can play that one, so picked up the guitar and played it for him. He was Boogying and and shaking and smiling. Too cute. So we went upstairs and he watched a little of the Baby channel and they showed a guitar on it and he learned how to say guitar today. Then he wanted to play with his baby toy guitar. Then I get to do it again tomorrow.

Good job Grandpa, your true nature comes through when you tell us about your grandson...and I like it!

It's a great feeling when grandkids respond to your music. This morning my grandson (a couple months shy of being 2 yrs.) wandered into my 'cave' while I was trying out a few flatpick licks on the Hummingbird and got absorbed in watching my right hand, then the left for a few minutes. Finally, he smiled, patted the guitar gently, and headed off elsewhere. Sometimes I'll make up songs for him and /or about him, and that usually gets him laughing and boogying down. There's definitely a '54 LG-2 3/4 in his future, unless he decides to play the oboe or something instead....

My goal is to get him interested in guitars. He's only one now and is learning to say words. He was singing "Row Row Row Your Boat" today, and my wife and I were surprised he could do three words together. He knows dog and when he saw a picture of Sundance, he said "Big Dog" as he's seen him three times now. I got him down stairs today and we played dads vendetta again. He gets interested with the pick and strums the strings and puts his other hand on the neck and mutes them all. Hey, I got him playing already, Lol. He even sings out, "Ahhhh Ahhhh Ahhhh., way too cute! Mom and Dad are impressed with what Grandma and Grandpa teach their kid. One thing we're working on is, "ONE MORE TIME." When John was little, he always wanted to go down the slide, One more time. Then cried if we didn't let him so we let him go down the slide, one more time which amounted to about 50 times. He says, he's not letting Grayson do that. msp_flapper.gif Oh yes he is! We're making sure of that! ( We all know that Grandparent saying; Isn't It A Blessing?)

I'm thinking about how good music is in recovering from surgery.

Came back from the oral surgeon and blasted Zappa for a few hours, then some Eno, Ray Davies and now it's time for The Doors.

Thank god for stereo systems sez me.

P.S.

Happy Birthday, Digger! Go out and catch a python for me and ship it FedEx, please.

I'm thinking about how good music is in recovering from surgery.

Came back from the oral surgeon and blasted Zappa for a few hours, then some Eno, Ray Davies and now it's time for The Doors.

Thank god for stereo systems sez me.

P.S.

Happy Birthday, Digger! Go out and catch a python for me and ship it FedEx, please.

Thanks Steve and I hope you are quickly on the mend!

Pythons? I was curious the other day and looked them up in respect to Victoria the state I live in, finding that we do have a few in the northern part of the state. That was a surprise as I had never realised that before.

If I see any I'll pack 'em up for you~

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=pythons+victoria&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmnMy4goDMAhWnGaYKHeWzClwQsAQIMg&biw=2538&bih=1334

Thanks Steve and I hope you are quickly on the mend!

Pythons? I was curious the other day and looked them up in respect to Victoria the state I live in, finding that we do have a few in the northern part of the state. That was a surprise as I had never realised that before.

If I see any I'll pack 'em up for you~

https://www.google.c...w=2538&bih=1334

Belated Happy Birthday Digger. And as Retired posted it is fun to teach the grandchildren some of the habits your children had when they were young and watch their expressions when the children emulate that particularly annoying habit or whatever it was that your children would do. As I tell them payback is a *****, only in jest, not a malicious way. HAHAHAHA:blink:

Thanks Pappy it's a distant memory now!

I have taught two of my grand daughter some guitar and one of them now plays multiple instruments and is at Uni pursuing a career in music production.

It's nice to have an influence, isn't it?

Archived