Gibson Brands Forums

Knives.....

Murph

I consider a knife a TOOL. I don't understand how anyone gets around WITHOUT a knife. How do you cut gas line on a 4 wheeler? Skin a deer? Repair a speaker cord at a gig/practice? Open a package with bomb-proof plastic on it? Change a 9 volt? Adjust your harmonics "just a touch, real quick", cut duct tape real neatly while Jerry rigging something, get an extra few inches of reach on the top shelf, cut a thread on your shirt, open a UPS package from Sweetwater, repair an old leather strap, cut a piece of rope to tie something on your truck, pull a staple, sharpen a pencil and on and on and on.

I'm a Survivalist, hunter, fisher, builder, fixer, motorcycle/4 wheeler riding Redneck from the Midwest and I use a knife many, many times a day. I also carry this SOG multi-tool, and I made the sheath.

Well then, I suppose you do need a knife.

But I live in a conurbation, not the wild frontier. Most of the stuff you mention is easily done with pliers, fingers, chairs, teeth, darning needles etc.

except for skinning a deer; but I let the restauranteur deal with that sort of thing.

bomb proof package? hmmm... no, I never get any parcels like that. ;)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well then, I suppose you do need a knife.

But I live in a conurbation, not the wild frontier. Most of the stuff you mention is easily done with pliers, fingers, chairs, teeth, darning needles etc.

except for skinning a deer; but I let the restauranteur deal with that sort of thing.

bomb proof package? hmmm... no, I never get any parcels like that. ;)

How do you carry all that stuff in your pocket? Knife is easier brother.

If you are caught carrying a knife here it's the police that decide if it can be used for unlawful purposes and if they do, you will be charged!

Understood. And that would suck. Especially if the officer was already having a bad day.

I guess it is a cultural thing here in the US. When I was a boy it was a right of passage on the way to becoming a man when your dad gave you a Buck knife for your birthday or Christmas, AND taught you it was a TOOL not a weapon. I think if you look at those statistics that most deaths and injuries were caused by someone that never had it instilled in them that guns and knives are tools and not weapons (I know not all but many) at a young age. My little girls grew up going hunting with mom and dad before they were teens. The both had either a 410 shotgun or 22 rifle before Jr. High School. Never once did we have any problems. I know there is not a lot of hunting and fishing lifestyles in our inner-cities bat I think education would go a long way in reducing (not eliminating) this issue in the US.

I guess it is a cultural thing here in the US. When I was a boy it was a right of passage on the way to becoming a man when your dad gave you a Buck knife for your birthday or Christmas, AND taught you it was a TOOL not a weapon. I think if you look at those statistics that most deaths and injuries were caused by someone that never had it instilled in them that guns and knives are tools and not weapons (I know not all but many) at a young age. My little girls grew up going hunting with mom and dad before they were teens. The both had either a 410 shotgun or 22 rifle before Jr. High School. Never once did we have any problems. I know there is not a lot of hunting and fishing lifestyles in our inner-cities bat I think education would go a long way in reducing (not eliminating) this issue in the US.

I think this explains some things pretty well.

When I was young growing up, it was also "taught" that using a gun or a knife didn't make you a man, it made you a coward. And I think it's both the "criminals" who choose to think they are badder and tougher to have weapons, as well as the media that "vilify" guns and knives.

But MY image when a gun or knife is mentioned has nothing to do with these things. When someone says "knife", I assume it's something useful. When someone says "gun" in a sentence, I assume it's a regular type gun owner, someone who wouldn't shoot me or anyone without good reason.

1447418518[/url]' post='1711295']

Exactly. I'm finding it a bit frightening how many people assume a knife is a weapon!

When you go to a restaurant and cut your meat what do you use? Is that a weapon? How come everyone in the restaurant is not stabbing one another with weapons on every table? Cuz it's a tool!

I agree. Actually weather it's a knife, gun, rope, old fashioned shaver, car. On and on. There all tools. None can hurt anyone by themselves. It's people who hurt people. And anything can be used by an criminal to kill someone. Look how easy some make bombs from fertilizer and stuff. Look how many died from the twin towers from passenger jets. They weren't designed to fly into the buildings but a criminal mind flew them into it.

To me there is only one point of interest here, and it’s intriguing.

In a society where a knife (and likely a gun?) is permissible, people want to keep them.

but in a society where knives are forbidden, we don’t want them.

I suspect that in the US, individuals want to carry their knives, and other people carrying them is the price of that right.

Elsewhere, we don’t want to be amongst other people carrying knives, and its worth us giving up that privilege to keep it that way.

To me there is only one point of interest here, and it’s intriguing.

In a society where a knife (and likely a gun?) is permissible, people want to keep them.

but in a society where knives are forbidden, we don’t want them.

I suspect that in the US, individuals want to carry their knives, and other people carrying them is the price of that right.

Elsewhere, we don’t want to be amongst other people carrying knives, and its worth us giving up that privilege to keep it that way.

I respect your opinion. I'm not sure if you actually speak for everyone residing in "elsewhere". If someone is determined to do you harm there is no law that will protect you and no object they won't use to hurt you. Gun knife baseball bat guitar string rope hammer screw driver , it's a very long list.

I agree. Actually weather it's a knife, gun, rope, old fashioned shaver, car. On and on. There all tools. None can hurt anyone by themselves. It's people who hurt people. And anything can be used by an criminal to kill someone. Look how easy some make bombs from fertilizer and stuff. Look how many died from the twin towers from passenger jets. They weren't designed to fly into the buildings but a criminal mind flew them into it.

While I undoubtedly think of knives as tools (particularly the tiny one in my pocket right now), I do disagree with this post a bit as far as guns go. Yes, you can kill someone or something with any of those items listed and hundreds more. Yes, people kill people - a gun can't kill on its own.

However, while I can think of hundreds of handy, non-violent uses for a knife, I can't really think of any good tool-like uses for guns. I'm a southerner who grew up with guns, but let's be honest. Unless you are a competitive target shooter or something, guns have one purpose - to kill or harm something... it might be game animals, rats in your barn, or a person in self defense or in rarer cases crime. I don't think that really equates to "tool" status. [biggrin]

The only reason that I have firearms at all is that I need them as tools.

I use one of my air rifles almost daily to kill rabbits which are a destructive, introduced species in this country. Also occasionally foxes which are in the same category.

I have a shotgun which I occasionally use to kill snakes that take up residence near the house.....otherwise I leave them alone.

I have a .22cal rimfire which exists only to pu down sick or injured animals.

There is much more of a "needs" component in my ownership of guns than a "want".

When we move from here into town I will relinquish all of them.

I respect your opinion. I'm not sure if you actually speak for everyone residing in "elsewhere". If someone is determined to do you harm there is no law that will protect you and no object they won't use to hurt you. Gun knife baseball bat guitar string rope hammer screw driver , it's a very long list.

Karloff, I'm not speaking for anybody but myself. I am commenting on the opinions expressed on this thread so far, and then venturing a personal opinion. I made that much clear.

I have been attacked in the street with a 12" rasp. I'm glad he wasn't carrying a knife. He might have used a knife if knives were tolerated in England. That's just one more reason why I don't want them decriminalised here.

The attack I was subjected to was not premeditated. For that reason its possible that the law has already protected me; and others in a similar predicament to mine.

If people don't get that, its because they don't want to.

I think people forget that laws don't directly protect. Laws were written to have the ability to punish. Laws are a deterrent to law abiding citizens but they aren't stopping the bad guys.

Also a gun is a tool to a skeet shooter where no live thing is being killed. Also target shooters that shoot paper for sport. Guns are used as tools for so much more than killing things.

I own guns and knives and I don't care what others think about it. these discussions always devolve into some crap about how violent the US is, and blaming it on firearms.Something to consider, if you care to think for yourself, the US cities with the strictest gun laws are Chicago, Baltimore, Washington DC, Detroit, and NYC.If you take the crime rate in those cities out of the crime statistics the US drops to 29th on the list. Chicago doesn't have a gun problem, it has a gang problem, one gang just exicuted a 9 year old boy last week because his father is in another gang, the boy was lured into an alley and stabbed to death. The killings in that town are high because of lax law enforcement which has been going on for decades. I live in a state with very high rates of gun ownership, it is easy to acquire a firearm, crime rates are low. In fact people move here from other places because of our low crime rate. There is a reason they don't move to Chicago.

Karloff, I'm not speaking for anybody but myself. I am commenting on the opinions expressed on this thread so far, and then venturing a personal opinion. I made that much clear.

I have been attacked in the street with a 12" rasp. I'm glad he wasn't carrying a knife. He might have used a knife if knives were tolerated in England. That's just one more reason why I don't want them decriminalised here.

The attack I was subjected to was not premeditated. For that reason its possible that the law has already protected me; and others in a similar predicament to mine.

Glad you're ok ...

1447532041[/url]' post='1711734']

Glad you are ok, but I don't see how the law protected you because the attack was not premeditated. Law enforcement will never be able to protect us from something like that. You are responsible for that.

I suppose it should be no surprise that a thread that started out about pocket knives turned

into a weapons discussion.

I don't carry a pocket knife on a daily basis but when I'm out camping I sure like to have a decent

pocket knife on hand at all times. They are handy.

And I think it's my kids right of passage to be handed his first pocket knife and sit there on a

stump for hours whittling the bark off a branch. Entertaining himself with something other than an

electronic device. No harm there.

I also like to cook so I have a really nice set of Wusthofs I keep very sharp.

Now those babies are a tool and a half. I couldn't be without my kitchen blades.

And I would be lying if I said I didn't appreciate a beautifully crafted blade, or even a sword for

that matter. Both of which would be considered weapons. I can still appreciate the beauty of that craft.

All that said, I am happy as hell that I live in a place where I don't ever have to even think

about owning a weapon to protect myself. The concept of having to protect myself from an

intruder is completely foreign to me. Can it happen? Of course it can.

But it sure as hell isn't anything that consumes my conscious being to the point of feeling

I need to arm myself.

I just don't get it. For that I am very thankful.

1447557257[/url]' post='1711809']

I suppose it should be no surprise that a thread that started out about pocket knives turned

into a weapons discussion.

I don't carry a pocket knife on a daily basis but when I'm out camping I sure like to have a decent

pocket knife on hand at all times. They are handy.

And I think it's my kids right of passage to be handed his first pocket knife and sit there on a

stump for hours whittling the bark off a branch. Entertaining himself with something other than an

electronic device. No harm there.

I also like to cook so I have a really nice set of Wusthofs I keep very sharp.

Now those babies are a tool and a half. I couldn't be without my kitchen blades.

And I would be lying if I said I didn't appreciate a beautifully crafted blade, or even a sword for

that matter. Both of which would be considered weapons. I can still appreciate the beauty of that craft.

All that said, I am happy as hell that I live in a place where I don't ever have to even think

about owning a weapon to protect myself. The concept of having to protect myself from an

intruder is completely foreign to me. Can it happen? Of course it can.

But it sure as hell isn't anything that consumes my conscious being to the point of feeling

I need to arm myself.

I just don't get it. For that I am very thankful.

Where do you live? Paris?

Archived