Gibson Brands Forums

"the only important person on the stage"

saturn

Wow! That reminds me of a rant that I heard of Buddy Rich's! Totally reaming the band. What a nice guy! I never liked Paul Anka much and now, I can like him less. People with giant egos like that drive me nuts. I don't care if you're Anka or Sinatra or anybody else; it can't hurt to be humble. I understand how hard it is to be the guy up front but, you don't have to be a jerk.

I never liked Paul Anka much and now, I can like him less.

Oh, come on! This is the guy that blessed us with 'Having My Baby', fer crying out loud!

"The need inside you

I see it showin'

Whoa, the seed inside ya

Baby, do you feel it growin'?"

As the main band I play in is similar in personnel, organization and repertoire as would be seen/heard at a Paul Anka show, I'll have to say.....

... I agree with EVERYTHING he said!

I've been on both sides of similar rants, although maybe not 9 minutes long,... that's show biz, it ain't for sissies!

As the main band I play in is similar in personnel, organization and repertoire as would be seen/heard at a Paul Anka show, I'll have to say.....

I've been on both sides of similar rants, although maybe not 9 minutes long,... that's show biz, it ain't for sissies!

Well, he stated he was the only important person on stage but proved himself wrong with the rest of his words. There have to be lots of people in the same boat, and not just those on stage.

Well. I don't have enough talent to be in his band anyway, but he would find out who the sissy is if he tried sh!t to me.

(my telephone rings)

*brrrrring-brrrring* *brrrrring-brrrring*

"Hello?"

"Yes, is this the guitar player known as Sparquelito?"

"Yes it is...."

""Um sir, I am Flip Chowder of Regent Entertainment Management Services, Inc. I am calling about a guitar playing job out here in Las Vegas, and I wanted to see if you would be interested and/or available."

"Wow, Las Vegas. That's awesome. What are the dates?"

"Starting next Friday evening, three shows a day, Friday thru the following Saturday. With return engagements, if the headliner likes you."

"Who's the headliner?"

"The job pays $600 a day, and your lodging is covered by The Sahara. That's the resort hotel where you'll be playing."

"Free room and board, that's great. So who is the headliner I'll be playing behind?"

"Your room isn't all that's free. You get free shirts. Lots and lots of classy, name-brand, high-quality shirts."

"Okay, I'm serious now. Who is the star performer that I'll be playing guitar for?"

"You'll be glad to know that he's an international star, with hit records from the 1950's, '60's, and '70's. The guy won some Grammies, and he draws quite a crowd."

"Is it Neil Sedaka?"

"No sir."

"Is it Frankie Valli of The Four Seasons? Man, I would love that gig! I sing pretty good falsetto backup, by the way."

"No, it's not Frankie Valli. It's uh........."

"Yes?"

"Sir, it's Paul Anka."

"Paul ANKA??? Hell no. F#%k no!!

"Okay, hear me out now...."

"Goodbye, and don't ever call here again!!"

:( :o [crying][scared]

I've was in a recording session where the producer went ballistic because the guitarist didn't agree with what he was asking him to play. Between him and the guitarist, this conversation ensued...

Producer: "I'm the producer and I tell you what to play. If I say the fire extinguisher is blue, it's blue!"

Guitarist: "But it's red."

Producer: "I know it's red, but if I say it's blue, IT'S BLUE!!!"

Guitarist: "But it's red."

Producer: "I KNOW IT'S RED, BUT IF I SAY IT'S BLUE....IT'S BLUE."

Drummer: "You know, he's got a point. The fire extinguisher is red."

I was surprised that the producer didn't have a heart attack at that point, because that was when he really went off. I have to agree with the producer. The guitarist should have played his part "more blue."

Archived