• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The "Bass" thread....

#1 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

I played a lot of bass in my younger bar gigging days. I got a job with one of the top "local" Country front men in Mesa/Apache Jct., Az. when I was actually too young to drink and be in a bar legally.

It was a 3 night a week gig for $25.00 a night and free beer.

I didn't own a bass when I got the gig and was borrowing a junker and playing through a Peavey 2;12 (vertical) cab with a Peavey "Standard" head, but it was 120 watts(I think) SS, and had a pretty good clean channel and worked fine with a line out. When the owner of the junker needed his bass I had to go rush and buy a short scale Fender bass at a pawn shop. Music Master maybe?

I worked at a body shop during the day and our painter was a "Motorama" winning painter and refinished it in a Candy translucent blue that faded from no base, to a silver base, to a black base. It was pretty awesome for a $140.00 cheap pawn shop bass. I don't have a picture and don't know where it ended up.

I now own a 2000 Mexican Jazz I bought new and gigged pretty heavily with the DOUBLE AUGHT trio/re-union we did for a few years without Levi. I really enjoy playing bass and that Power trio was a helluva lot of fun. I have a MONSTER 1000 watt Carvin Redline 4;10/horn rig that I simply can't let go. Carvin makes some really nice bass and P.A. gear, and the Carvin AG100D acoustic amp also has a channel voiced for bass and it is incredible for 100 watts.

Anyhoo, I know Sal plays a little bass on some of his multi-tracked stuff and just wondered what kind of gear you guys use for your bass stuff.

#2 User is offline   62burst 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

The P-bass copy and the fretless are now nothing more than a vestige of my solid body electric days. Now, the bass I bring is the Kala all-mahogany U-bass. It’s diminutive, acoustic-looking appearance, and dark stained finish doesn’t raise too many eyebrows with the acoustic people. The portability of it and a small Line6 75W amp are unmatched for a bass rig. The strings made of a material similar to o-rings, yielding a thump that gives a reasonable approximation of an upright.

Magnus ripping a big little bass break at t = 1:42

Do you have any bass in your solar pond?

Are they electric?

#3 User is offline   Mickthemiller 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationYorkshire UK

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

I recently bought a Harley Benton uke bass/bass uke!! It was around £130-140 and it's bloomin' terrific. It has an undersaddle pickup and sounds really quite good, a bit upright bass like. Ideal for adding a bass line to your recordings.

#4 User is offline   zombywoof 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

I started out in the mid-1960s as a bass player in a streamlined Chuck Berry-esque blues rock band when I lost a flip of the coin (we had three guitar players, a drummer and a singer). I ran down to Manny's on 48th St. in NYC and bought a used Hagstrom I bass for something like $35. I plugged into a borrowed Ampeg Portaflex. About a year later I was back on guitar when one guy left and we snagged a really good bass player. Kinda wish though I had kept up with it. Interestingly, my daughter has told me she wants a bass so maybe I can live vicariously through her.

"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White

#5 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

Bass, , , tho I sometimes fiddle with roles, the actual job is almost always left to my bass-player.
He has around 50 high-end basses and is now dazed inside a Sadowsky-craze. Every time I call him out, he brings a new.

Apart from that, , , is it your ensemble we see above, Burst.
^Very snappy quartet, must say. .
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   62burst 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

No sir, just a fan. Magnus loves his U bass as well- there's a more sedate vid of he and his co-workers doing Black Orpheus. . . it works well.

#7 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

View Post62burst, on 18 June 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

No sir, just a fan.

Alright - makes sense, , , , as I see, recall and imagine you as a more flux-jug-band-like kinda of beat-player. .
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   ThemisSal 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

I tried to like the Kala Uke bass... but I couldn't mesh with it. It felt like a toy, and the rubber strings needed constant tuning.
Still use a Far East PBass copy by Squire... works pretty dang well, but it's heavy.
I wonder if anyone here has tried one of those Taylor mini basses that came out last year?

#9 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:06 AM

I think I could have fun with a small upright fretless.

:-k

#10 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:10 AM

View PostThemisSal, on 18 June 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

I wonder if anyone here has tried one of those Taylor mini basses that came out last year?

23 1/2" scale.......

Hmmm....

#11 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:55 AM

I don't take them out, I record them.

2008 American Precision, Blizzard Pearl, I put a white pearl pickguard and straplocks on it:

Posted Image

2005 American Jazz, Transparent Sunset Orange, I put a white pearl pickguard and straplocks on it. Best put together, best sounding, best playing Fender in my life, and that is an awful lot of guitars. Took them 6 months to make if for me, worth every second of the wait:
Posted Image

rct

#12 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

I'm disappointed. I thought this thread was going to be about fishing.

#13 User is offline   Frances50 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

I have a Gibson ES-Les Paul short scale bass with flat wound strings. I don't play it much but when I do, I love this guitar.
Frances

Gibson J-45 Custom Rosewood
Gibson Doves in Flight
Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium (Koa)
Gibson ES-335 Dot Figured Natural
Gibson ES-Les Paul Bass (Gold Top)
Taylor PS56ce 12-string acoustic
Taylor 916ce BRW
Fender American Stratocaster HSS
Olson 2012 SJ
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Gibson 1916 A-4 mandolin
Martin 0-28 c.1870 acoustic

#14 User is offline   littlejohnny 

• Disciple
  • LocationWest Germany

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

just got a squire jaguar bass as a birthday present, really nice instrument for the price.

http://www.thomann.d...5fbcf64bf719a1d

I played some bass in one of my bands some 20 years ago, when the bass player left the band. I hated it back than. Lately I'm beginning to understand the instrument as not just another guitar,if that makes sense. the short scale helps to enjoy this particular instrument.

#15 User is offline   62burst 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

View PostThemisSal, on 18 June 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

I tried to like the Kala Uke bass... but I couldn't mesh with it. It felt like a toy, and the rubber strings needed constant tuning.
Still use a Far East PBass copy by Squire... works pretty dang well, but it's heavy.

Some good points about the Kala U Bass, Sal. The little bass broke some new ground when it came out, and the decision on it's string material has it’s trade-offs. . . if only Strings v. 2 had a metal core (or something). . . Although closely approximating an upright bass sound in a size that can fit on the seat next to you, it’s more of a jam instrument. Yes, it does look toy-like, but that’s part of it’s appeal; a toy until people see and hear it in action- they get a kick out of the little conversation starter. I’ve been toying with the idea of putting a wireless unit in it, and sneaking a little battery powered amp into a backpack for some festival hijinks.

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz. SO MUCH bass for the money, and all the bass i'll ever need. It's all over my new record that drops next month. Records beautifully through a good valve pre and plays like butter with flats on it.

Bass was my first job as a working musician, 20yrs ago now. Still love it and play a lot, although I was a guitarist before and after.
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2014 Epiphone IB '64 Texan
2001 Epiphone EL-00 (early L1 shape model)
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1978 Hohner Leyanda 12 String
2002 Perez 601 Classical
1998 Fender Classic Series '60s RI Telecaster
2016 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

#######
www.jinder.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jindermusic

#17 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

By the way, ever tried the violin Höfner bass. An ultra light cigar-box, but hyper fun to play. And in the right context it just sounds brilliant.

Happy 75 James

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

E-minor7, on 20 June 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

By the way, ever tried the violin Höfner bass. An ultra light cigar-box, but hyper fun to play. And in the right context it just sounds brilliant.

Happy 75 James

I had the Epi copy of the violin bass for quite a while when I was first gigging with bands as a bottom end merchant...20yrs ago now! Great and very light little thing as you say, no sustain to speak of but a woody and thunky melodic tone that really pleased my ears and fingers. Eventually the band I was with moved into more rocky territory so I traded it for a modified Precision which was much better suited.
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2014 Epiphone IB '64 Texan
2001 Epiphone EL-00 (early L1 shape model)
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1978 Hohner Leyanda 12 String
2002 Perez 601 Classical
1998 Fender Classic Series '60s RI Telecaster
2016 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

#######
www.jinder.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jindermusic

#19 User is offline   ThemisSal 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:06 PM

62burst said:

1497909982[/url]' post='1863119']

Some good points about the Kala U Bass, Sal. The little bass broke some new ground when it came out, and the decision on it's string material has it’s trade-offs. . . if only Strings v. 2 had a metal core (or something). . . Although closely approximating an upright bass sound in a size that can fit on the seat next to you, it’s more of a jam instrument. Yes, it does look toy-like, but that’s part of it’s appeal; a toy until people see and hear it in action- they get a kick out of the little conversation starter. I’ve been toying with the idea of putting a wireless unit in it, and sneaking a little battery powered amp into a backpack for some festival hijinks.

Posted Image

Pleased for you 62. The sound is fine, but I felt too much friction with my fingers.
That and then there's the fact that I also felt like a guy with a Harley t shirt riding a moped...

#20 User is offline   chasAK 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

I had a Fender Jazz. It was a beautiful sounding and playing instrument. It more than filled all my needs, though I always considered a Jazz, a fretless Precision, and a Rickenbacker to be the perfect arsenal. To the best of my knowledge, back then all Fenders were AmericanFenders.

Rct, nice looking basses!

chasAK

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users