Gibson Guitar Board: Okay, I think I don't like Les Pauls! - Gibson Guitar Board

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Okay, I think I don't like Les Pauls! What should I do now?

#21 User is online   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

View PostAllenjason95, on 14 August 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound as harsh as I did. I just genuinely wonder why people add the "y" sound to the end of certain words, like "veggies". I've never heard anyone say "meaties".

Who knows.. these things just happen. Sometimes I guess theres a back story, sometimes its just a way of being casual in the way I speak and I talk like I type....

I had a cat once.. His name was Brutus.. But he was also called snot face (cos he always had a snotty nose), Kitty (obviously), Fluffy bum and Mr Stinky (for also obvious reasons), but they were all said with love :)

Robert Plants friends call him Percy...

It is what it is...
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#22 User is offline   Twang Gang 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLake Keowee, SC

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

If you can't seem to bond with a LP, there is nothing wrong with that. Although as quite a few have mentioned it could be that the amps you are playing through at a retailer are limiting what you hear.

Nevertheless if you want to try something different play a Gibson CS336 or CS356. These are semi-hollow bodies with a unique production method and a resulting unique tone. The back sides and rims are carved from a solid piece of mahogany leaving a center block as well. That is mated to a carved maple top. These guitars due to their tonewoods and construction can sound like a LP, a 335, a thicker Jazz box guitar, a tele or Strat.

Usually come with Gibson slim taper 60s style neck, and 57 classic humbuckers. They are expensive, but you can sell most of your other guitars when you get one, because you just won't need them anymore.

Posted Image
2017 Custom Shop 356 Mahogany/Maple Antique Natural
2017 Les Paul Standard T Honeyburst
2013 L5-CES Natural (Maple/Spruce)
2013 Les Paul Custom Lite (Mahogany/Maple) Ebony
2007 Taylor Solid Body Custom (Sapele/Walnut)
2010 Fender Telecaster (Ash)
2006 Taylor Grand Symphony (Rosewood/Spruce)
1981 Ovation Balladeer
1963 Walthari Mittenwald Classical
Rivera Venus 6 (1 X 12)Combo
Blackstar HT-5R (1 X 10) Combo
AER Compact 60-2

#23 User is offline   'Scales 

• Lurking at the threshold
  • Locationpeace

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:44 PM

I refer to my Epiphone as an Epi quite often...but it is an abbreviation of sorts rather than a pet name.
I'd like to think I haven't refered to Gibsons as Gibbies, but I may have on here...hmm, I dunno [unsure] . If so, well, slap my a** with a pink serviette and call me Police Minister
we had longer ways to go, but no matter, the road is life.

a few of my songs from first ever gig for originals band

#24 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:16 AM

View PostRabs, on 14 August 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

Who knows.. these things just happen. Sometimes I guess theres a back story, sometimes its just a way of being casual in the way I speak and I talk like I type....

I had a cat once.. His name was Brutus.. But he was also called snot face (cos he always had a snotty nose), Kitty (obviously), Fluffy bum and Mr Stinky (for also obvious reasons), but they were all said with love :)

It is what it is...

My ex-wife named my cat Isis, after the Egyptian goddess. But, she soon earned the name Fartknocker, because that's what she is. Sweetest cat in the world but dumber than a bag of hammers. And, now that ISIS refers to a bunch of terrorists and the fact that my ex named her, we don't use her original given name any more. It's fun taking her to the vet and they ask what her name is. :)

I've never referred to any of my guitars by putting a y or ie at the end of them. The funny thing is, when I first joined and people were calling pickups pups, it took me a moment to realize what people were referring to. I just hadn't heard that term before. I don't get the whole veggie thing either. But, it's just one of those nuances in the English language often abused by the people who speak it or claim to speak it. People around here say y'all and all y'all, howdy, yawkin (y'all kin?), code instead of cold, axe instead of ask.

Anywho! Can't wait to see how the OP ends up. It's definitely OK to not like Les Pauls. I like mine. I hope the OP finds the right guitar. :)

#25 User is offline   theflyingturtle 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

Okay, I'll own this one. So I went to my luthier yesterday to seek council and some tweaked truss rods. I discussed my confusion and he explained that when he plays his LP, a 59' double cut junior, he uses a very driven or distorted sound. he suggested that I find a better amp and push it. I drove over to GC and realized that all of the amps that I plugged into were junk. Have you ever walked into GC and had to scrounge around for a cable or find an amp that is plugged in? I just played the amp that had a cord. So I found a better amp, turned it up, dialed the volume back to 7 ala Bonamassa and WOOOOOOOOW!!!! There you are baby!!! The skies opened up, the clouds parted, and the tone came dripping through. So operator error for all to see. Honestly, I'm just glad that I know there's nothing wrong with my ears, I'm just a silly person. The really silly part is that I have seen that Bonamassa video about a month ago and followed his suggestions and was able to create better tone from my rig than I ever have before and I've never been happier with my sound. But when I walk into a noisy GC I just turn the guitar to 10 like I've always done before? Sigh. Thank you for all of the support and thank you for helping me work through this. I drove home thinking about the Reinhardt 18 watt head I use to own in cream tolex. It was the ones before he added a master volume that he said sounded better. I traded that and some cash for dual pane windows on my house after my daughter was born. Boy.... That amp spoke directly to my soul but I never played it with a LP and the volume dialed back to 7. I think I just realized that I don't need to buy a LP, I need to buy a LP AND get another 18 watt Marshall. I might want to wait on the LP because the rig won't be complete until there's a 1974x circuit in my house.

And just to doubly prove my insanity I also played a PRS SE 245 and a D'Angelico semi-hollowbody. The PRS played and sounded wonderful but in an A/B comparison was much darker sounding than the LP with the same settings. I also have begun to consider a 335 after playing a D'Angelico. I can really see that happening. Thanks again for all the brilliant advice. You folks are sharp. I remain in amazement at the depth of knowledge and genuine helpfulness on the Gibson forum.

#26 User is offline   MichaelT 

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

View Posttheflyingturtle, on 15 August 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

So I found a better amp, turned it up, dialed the volume back to 7 ala Bonamassa and WOOOOOOOOW!!!! There you are baby!!! The skies opened up, the clouds parted, and the tone came dripping through. So operator error for all to see.

VERY COOL!! Good luck with your shopping for guitars and amps. I smiled very widely when I read the above.

And, yes, it can sometimes be a real pain to try out any guitars or amps at Guitar Center. I got there a little before closing the other night, not knowing that they closed at 8 PM. I wanted to try out a Marshall DSL40 combo and a Marshall DSL100 half stack. The sales guy asked if he could help us with something and I said that I'd like to play the Marshall amps and asked to play one of their Les Pauls. He informed me, quite rudely, that they closed 5 minutes ago. I had no idea and apologized, of course. But, they lost any possibility of a sale after that. I'll go elsewhere and buy elsewhere. I'll try stuff out there, then buy somewhere else.

#27 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

--- A happy ending at last..
/Ray

#28 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• I doubt I'm entitled to a title
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

Nice to see a happy ending. :)
Hagstrom Deuce / Fylde Acoustic / Variax Standard / Gibson ES-339 / Gibson LP Less+ / PRS SE Custom24 / Hofner HCT-J17 / Camps Spanish / Jackson Soloist / Rickenbacker 650 /Squier Esprit
Miele S5 Power 2200w Vacuum Cleaner
Makita BO3710 Finishing Sander
Verdict 6" vernier scale calipers
Whittard of Chelsea Florence blue teapot
Spear & Jackson 1712PF/INS12 trenching fork

Posted Image put the kettle on
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#29 User is offline   theflyingturtle 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

Thanks guys but I think this is better than a happy ending. This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship! I am nearly fifty years old and this is the first time I have really dedicated myself to electric guitars, amps, and tone. I have always been an acoustic musician so it is thrilling to explore this side of guitar playing. I was never interested in it before to any great degree but this goes on top of a lot of progress I've made this year and especially this summer. For the first time in my life I've bought a Strat and a Tele, I finished my pedal board once and for all (14 pedals/power supply, and pedalboard), I've learned a great deal about vintage, pre-war Gibsons from researching and shopping this summer, I added some new jamming buddies that come over to the house, my repertoire of songs has doubled in the last 12 months from two crammed notebooks into four crammed notebooks, got my amp retubed, finally got to see one of my all time guitar heroes, Buddy Guy in concert, and now I have clear direction on how to bond with LPs, something I have never understood my entire life. Barring a car crash I should be smiling all day. Thanks again, this was awesome!

#30 User is offline   MichaelT 

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

A rebirth! Even better. You are HEALED-UH!! Very cool stuff.

#31 User is offline   theflyingturtle 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

View Postmerciful-evans, on 14 August 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

You must be very committed to sound like the source material. I know lots of players are.
Personally, I'd just rather sound like me all the time.

I wish you luck with the LP dilemma. I cant wrap my head around that approach though. Sorry!

I think that is a different topic you're bringing up. Yes I have gone through my "I want to sound like SRV" phase already and am passed that as a musician. What I meant was, I couldn't find that "big, thick" LP tone and used those artists solely as a common reference to the characteristic I couldn't find. I agree that trying to sound exactly like another can be self defeating but when you don't have the experiences that other electric guitarists have then the human brain seeks out patterns. For the inexperienced, seeking out the sounds and music that touches you deeply by studying the way that artist plays can seem intuitive even if it's wrong. I agree that we all sound different and should sound different but the pathway to that understanding is found through support and a willingness to reach out, listen well, and, action to create a better understanding. So, I understand that you "cant wrap my head around that approach though" but if you could also tell me why or how you've reached that understanding, I could learn or understand better. No worries of course. I read things in my brain too. All the time.

#32 User is offline   theflyingturtle 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

View PostMichaelT, on 15 August 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

A rebirth! Even better. You are HEALED-UH!! Very cool stuff.

When I read your comment my mind created a picture of Les Paul and Mary Ford as faith healer that smack you on forehead and you fall over and wiggle on the ground filled with the "spirit"! I have seen the light and it will set me free with shoulder pain from a 10 lb. guitar! Hah!

#33 User is offline   AngelDeVille 

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:20 PM

I used to say how much I hated Strats, and LP's, but I also used to be really picky about neck profiles too...

I have two Strats now, and am building a third...

I have many neck profiles now too, and can switch without too much heartache.

Who knows I may stumble upon an LP I can't live without.

I used to hate brussel sprouts, broccoli and asparagus too....

I still can't stand it when peeples make up cute little slang words, or acronyms that no one else knows.

I also hate fist bumping.....
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600...

#34 User is offline   Allenjason95 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:31 AM

View Post'Scales, on 14 August 2017 - 09:44 PM, said:

I refer to my Epiphone as an Epi quite often...but it is an abbreviation of sorts rather than a pet name.
I'd like to think I haven't refered to Gibsons as Gibbies, but I may have on here...hmm, I dunno [unsure] . If so, well, slap my a** with a pink serviette and call me Police Minister

"Epi" I get, that's just a logical abbreviation. "Gibbie" is just as long as "Gibson", so the user isn't using it as an abbreviation or for practical reasons. And I see "gibbie" used all the time, (usually it's "Gibby" though) instead of Gibson. I just think it's interesting because like I said, no one would say "Gretschy" or "Fendy".

The way words are used fascinates me. I took a lot of speech and debate classe in HS and college and my teachers always sort of taught us to edit and be very selective about what words we use because your choice of words says a lot about you and your message and it's a habit I've never dropped. .

For instance have you noticed how 95% of all guests on news programs start off with "so" when they're asked to explain something for viewers or if they're explaining their view or platform? That always amazes me because I would have been penalized for starting of a statement with "so" in a HS debate class 20 years ago but now professional speakers use it on national television constantly. Starting off a statement with "so" indicates they don't really believe what they're saying or it's Just something they've memorized, it's not from the heart.

And "veggies" has always fascinated me because it's a very baby talk sounding word. Like I said no one would say "meaties", or "drinkies" or "granies" or "dairies" but for some reason "veggies" is used constantly. At Subway if they ask you "what veggies do you want on that?" You wouldn't bat an eye but if they asked you what "bready" you wanted or what "meaties" you wanted you'd definitely find it odd.

#35 User is offline   MichaelT 

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

View PostAllenjason95, on 16 August 2017 - 01:31 AM, said:

"Epi" I get, that's just a logical abbreviation. "Gibbie" is just as long as "Gibson", so the user isn't using it as an abbreviation or for practical reasons. And I see "gibbie" used all the time, (usually it's "Gibby" though) instead of Gibson. I just think it's interesting because like I said, no one would say "Gretschy" or "Fendy".

And "veggies" has always fascinated me because it's a very baby talk sounding word. Like I said no one would say "meaties", or "drinkies" or "granies" or "dairies" but for some reason "veggies" is used constantly. At Subway if they ask you "what veggies do you want on that?" You wouldn't bat an eye but if they asked you what "bready" you wanted or what "meaties" you wanted you'd definitely find it odd.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with you on the veggies thing. I don't use that term and don't care for it but if folks wanna do it, doesn't matter to me. I don't typically use Epi for Epiphone or Gibby/Gibbie for Gibson. Definitely wouldn't say Gretchy or Fendery or Fendy, nor Marshy for a Marshall amp. I also tend to not use politically correct terms or phrases and I don't really care about the difference between vegetarian and vegan. I grew up in a household and school system where you ate what was put on your plate. I get that it's a choice thing and I'm ok with it. I'm not much into the cutesy or baby talk either. I think I posted earlier that I didn't understand using pup for pickups, but it seems it's common.

Lots of "internet" abbreviations aren't ones that I'd use in regular typing or speaking. I don't think I've ever said "LOL" to a friend. Would that be said as "LOL" or "El Oh El?"

Glad the OP got stuff worked out though. Picturing Les and Mary as faith healers really made me laugh.

#36 User is offline   jdgm 

• Now's The Time!
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Les Paul Custom.
P90s.
P90s.
P90s.

B)

#37 User is offline   Black Dog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

View PostRabs, on 14 August 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

I was in Tampa sometime in the mid 90's and Plant was there promoting something, I think one of his solo things. Anyway, he was on a local radio station for a live interview. The DJ was trying to be familiar with him and called him "Bob". Plant immediately interrupted him saying "don't call me Bob". From that point on it just went down hill. Plant was very curt and it ended quickly.

BTW, I wonder what Page calls him?

#38 User is offline   'Scales 

• Lurking at the threshold
  • Locationpeace

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

Boss.
we had longer ways to go, but no matter, the road is life.

a few of my songs from first ever gig for originals band

#39 User is online   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

View PostBlack Dog, on 16 August 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

I was in Tampa sometime in the mid 90's and Plant was there promoting something, I think one of his solo things. Anyway, he was on a local radio station for a live interview. The DJ was trying to be familiar with him and called him "Bob". Plant immediately interrupted him saying "don't call me Bob". From that point on it just went down hill. Plant was very curt and it ended quickly.

BTW, I wonder what Page calls him?

I can think of several things he may have called him over the years.. But im not allowed to type them on here ;)
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#40 User is offline   Black Dog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:07 PM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic