Gibson Brands Forums

Best Rosewood Gibson?

MacJames

I would be carefull, still curious about the Advanced J. (check the thread 'Advanced Jumbo Revisited').

And naturally would love to spend a weekend with a rosewood J-45 along my tremendous mahogany ditto.

This A-B thing somehow brings the scientist forward in me.

Don't forget to tell what happens.

Wow! Great suggestions. Thanks.

That advanced jumbo is sweet! Does it have the same neck profile as the J-45? Really love that neck.

I don't own a J-45 but have played a bunch. The shallow C profile mine has seems very similar to the J-45's I have played. The big difference would be the scale length. The AJ is a "Full" 25.5" scale while the J-45 typically is a 24.75" like most Gibsons. I like the extra length as that is what I am most used to and since I play a bunch of lowered tuning DADGAD and Open G stuff as well as standard tuning, it is my feeling the longer scale keeps a bit more tension and drives the top a bit more.

The nut width is 1.725" which I can't tell the difference in feel between it and my Taylor 612C which is my favorite 1.75" nut width.

Just back from trying out a J-45 Custom. Rw/sitka. A little extra bling around the soundhole and on the headstock, plus herringbone around the top. Otherwise a"Standard" J-45. Now the kicker ... what a tone! And I'm not even a rw guy. This guitar was IMHO the finest sounding rw 45 I've ever met. Five stars! Ce

Play as many different models/examples as you can. You'll have a much better chance of determining of what appeals to your ear/hands that way.

I'm quite fond of my AJ. While the neck "profile" is similar to my J-45 TV (some people have mentioned the "C profile and that sounds about right), the neck on my AJ is just a bit beefier and features a 1 3/4" nut width which works our really nicely for my style of playing. I don't know if this was a custom order or not as I purchased the guitar used. However, most AJs that I've played felt extremely similar in profile and nut width to my J-45. The big difference (at least as far as standard configurations go) between the AJ and the J-45 is the scale length, 25 1/2" for the AJ and 24 3/4" for the J-45. In addition to the rosewood back & sides, this plays a big part in what makes the AJ such a different beast than the J-45, at least in my opinion that is.

All the best.

Guth

I was reluctant to buy my 45-Vine at first because I've never been a big fan of rosewood. I prefer hogs with an occasional flamed-maple not far behind. Anyway, it finally came down to my Vine or an AJ-Cocobolo that I had found at a local shop (sweeet!). I decided on the Vine for its "bling" & more importantly its shorter scale. I really enjoy those short scales! Oh yeah, the rosewood sounds simply incredible too.

I was in a similar situation as yourself, looking to find a complement to my mahogany country western.

Road tested many Gibsons and the SWD was the overall winner for me. But the AJ is a monster also.

If i were you i would narrow it down to these two beauties. But the L-20 no doubt has a ton of cool factor !

Enjoy the journey.

That L-20 has to be one of the COOLEST guitars I've ever seen! Nice.. Really nice! [thumbup]

Ford? Chevy? Dodge? Kinda like these choices, there's really no "best" rosewood Gibson. It all depends on your likes and dislikes in regards to appearance, feel, nut width, scale length, etc. Your J-45 is a short scale......have you played long scale guitars and do they feel right? If not, you've eliminated some of those choices right off the bat. The best choice is totally subjective to your wants and needs in a guitar. Choose carefully, for you have your beloved J-45 already as a measuring stick......

That L-20 has to be one of the COOLEST guitars I've ever seen! Nice.. Really nice! [thumbup]

+1 on the L 20 Wily, nice!

I have played some very nice rosewood Gibsons, but when I think rosewood Martin comes to minds, particularly the HD28v which to me is the apitamy of the rosewood sound IMHO.

Archived