Gibson Brands Forums

My new Custom Shop 12 fret SJ

jannusguy2

Hi all, the last forum crash took out my username etc. but i reloaded and have another pic to share. First, to modac-333, holy mackerel, what a guitar! i'm crazy for this thing. you and whomever else sussed out the specs for this thing did a great! job. it has the deep loud tone of my roy smeck and the comfort of a standard Gibson nut width. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GUITAR! that being said, here is a reprise of the original pic honky dog was kind enough to post for me as well as a shot of tommy emmanuel tuning it and another of tommy's rig. i did a show with him last night and brought the SJ along. he was appropriately impressed. best to all and hope all are well.

rob

12fretSJ.jpg

tommymySJ.jpg

DSC_0599.jpg

Very cool guitar. Congrats.

Uh, and you did a show with TE, world's best guitarist, last night?!? Very, very cool. Please tell us more.

I'm a TE fan. He once gave me a hand, or two, with my playing:

1040374267033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

hello again, first, i'm an old hand here who used to have a respectable post count. it's still out there somewhere under jannusguy. anyway, jt, i'm a concert promoter and i promoted a show with tommy last night. (i am an independent and i work in several venues in my area, not just one) i wish i had the skills to play guitar with him but, alas, i had to limit it to showing off my new gibby. he was very nice. he had 2 other guys that he brought with as the support act. they were young guys and his students and they were something else to see as well. i did not record tommy playing my guitar but did record his encore which was his beatles medley. i think the file might be too large to post here. anyway, it was a great time. more importantly, i love this new gibby i have and, lastly, it's nice to be able to still drop in here and say hi from time to time. best to all.

here's another shot of tommy from last night's show:

DSC_0568.jpg

Those guitars are absolutely beautiful. I dropped by a local shop to see one and wow, I loved it. There was one thing I would like changed about it if I were in the position to buy one. I would rather have the appointments to be all from around the same era. For example, I would rather have the teardrop guard, saddle-through, no belly bridge and banner logo like the pre-war or wartime guitars. Or the big guard, belly-up bridge with drop in saddle and standard headstock logo like the post '55 (early). I realize this is a "reissue of something they never made," and maybe I am in the minority on this one. Looking back on it I guess it is just the belly-up bridge with drop in saddle that is throwing me off. What do you guys think?

glad you like it Jannus! i do my best [biggrin] and yes, jfshults, we thought of that stuff. we really wanted to get a pickup in it so that the guitar could fully be used. that meant no slot bridge. so once that was done, the door was wide open. from the start though, it was meant to be a mix of everything we loved about different models. so, no way to keep it all period correct to any one time. i actually prefer the slot bridge, but as i said, the pickup was something we wanted, and the belly up bridge with drop in saddle makes adjustments to the action easier. changing the bridge also changes the bridgeplate and bracing. so, that's where that all came from.

btw, i love your avatar John! ;)

Thanks for the report, Janusguy. I did 2 weekend workshops with Tommy at Jorma's Fur Peace Ranch. It was a thrill to hang with a guy who is both so talented and so passionate about what he does.

And, again, that 12 fret SJ is way cool. Thanks for sharing it with us.

That makes a lot of sense. I want one so bad! I guess I also wish I still had the guitar in my avatar [smile]. Maybe I will come across another SJ in the near future, and maybe it will even be a 12 fret! Beautiful guit!

it does have a very unique appearance and i can see where it would leave some folks scratching their heads but... the tone is the thing on this. i took a shot 'cause i love the sound of a 12 fret and it was everything i hoped it would be. i also think it looks great so, lucky twice!

I can't believe you guys have met, and talked with, TE!!! WOW!! Let's see, do I know any Canadian celebrities..... hmmmm, well, there's that guy who plays his guitar outside the northeast liquor store every now and then, so.... NO! Tommy E! Wow!

Rob, beautiful guitar. Comngratulations. Sorry about the post count. [biggrin]

Janus Guy II --

What are the custom specs beyond the 12 frets and the tasty small burst?: top wood, side and back wood, nut width, etc.

Absolutely gorgeous guitar. Love the details, too: that old Gibson logo sends me and the white button tuners are a great touch.

I can't stand it! I keep coming back to this post. Dang' date=' I really like this guitar's looks. Wonder if Gibson made more than one? Ce [/quote']

according to CS in bozeman, they made 5 of these. all for distro in the gulf states if i understood correctly. sitka top, honduran hog back/sides. maybe modac -333 knows where the others are? he did have a hand in the design and the store where he works got one, i think.

this is just a great sounding guitar and the standard nut width is great.

if you can find one, buy it. you'll be glad you did.

Archived