Gibson Brands Forums

My cover version of Birdland

daveinspain

Hope you guys like this. I am not playing guitar on this track. I did all the programming and synth work. This was recorded mixed and produced by me in my studio... I recorded this quite a few years back before I even new I would be playing guitar some day.

Bass player is David Chucillo, I didn't use any charts. I used a midi file for the basic arrangement of which I assigned all my custom synth patches and piano. If you listen with head phones you hear lots of stereo panning and FX. My vision while doing this was of a prehistoric island filled with all types of Birds streams and greenery... I used a mini moog for the intro which I programmed to sound like the roar of some prehistoric animal which awakens all the birds on the Island, hence Birdland... [smile]

The trumpet and trumpet solos performed by David Pastor. He is a great session player and performer here in Spain. All solos were improvised by the musicians who played them. In some cases I used the best portions from various takes and put together the solos except for David Pastor, wasn't necessary....

Bass player is David Chucillo, I didn't use any charts. I used a midi file for the basic arrangement of which I assigned all my custom synth patches and piano. If you listen with head phones you hear lots of stereo panning and FX. My vision while doing this was of a prehistoric island filled with all types of Birds streams and greenery... I used a mini moog for the intro which I programmed to sound like the roar of some prehistoric animal which awakens all the birds on the Island, hence Birdland... [smile]

The trumpet and trumpet solos performed by David Pastor. He is a great session player and performer here in Spain. All solos were improvised by the musicians who played them. In some cases I used the best portions from various take and put together the solos except for David Pastor, wasn't necessary....

FANTASTIC!! +1 for that effort.

I suppose purists would baulk at the drum'n'bass treatment and the cuckoo might drive them, erm, Cuckoo, but I thought that was rather astounding!

A hearty +1 from here, Dave (and colleagues) !

[thumbup]

P.

Sweet job on that recording Dave, really nice work. Super clean and I am just listening through crappy little PC speakers.

But I'm so glad you got into playing guitar instead of just programming midi etc. There is a great deal that can be accomplished with both, but I prefer the more organic strumming and resultant vibrations than the keystroke. [thumbup]

Sweet job on that recording Dave, really nice work. Super clean and I am just listening through crappy little PC speakers.

But I'm so glad you got into playing guitar instead of just programming midi etc. There is a great deal that can be accomplished with both, but I prefer the more organic strumming and resultant vibrations than the keystroke. [thumbup]

Yes I do agree... and thanks Just so you know there was masses of work and arrangement other than the midi information in that production. Bass, guitars, sax, trumpet and vocals were all real. All the synth paths (sounds) I programmed myself... The mix took about a week to finish, listen with head phones to really hear it well...

I just got three, three clapping smilies from AXE®, my life is complete... [thumbup]

Archived