Gibson Brands Forums

Tribute to the 70's...

daveinspain

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah this is a great old ad I remember it well I tore it out of a magazine and had it on my wall.

I read how Larry actually brought a prototype to Ace and Ace was the first guy to use one of his pickups.

Larry actually knew them they were around on the same scene together.

Anyway this KISS ad help launch Dimarzio through the roof.

The next big hero to use the Super Distortion in 76 was Tom Shultz of Boston

bostontom.jpg

CC10A080-body-large.jpg

Larry actually went to college with Gene. That's how the relationship started. I believe Larry was making pickups for Gene and Paul during the Wicked Lester days and almost joined the band that would become KISS! And when Ace got his first Les Paul (the 1973 tobacco sunburst Deluxe that was his main axe up through the fall of 1976) he had Larry make some pickups for him. I believe that was right before the Super Distortion officially hit the market.

The Seventies to me as a kid in Ireland were:

Endlessly long hot summers (not anymore [thumbdn] )

Great TV: Starsky & Hutch, Six Million Dollar Man, Battlestar Galactica, Kojak......

Yellow smiley face badges

Old cars

Listening to ABBA in the house all the time

Playing outside until you were called in

Top of the Pops every Thursday night

Spending the whole summer at the beach

Great great music.

Farrah Fawcett

On KISS...

There are no Hungarian rock stars who became known world-wide. So we had to come up with something. We have a joke instead:

- Who's the greatest Hungarian rockstar?

- ???

- Gene Simmons. (His parents were Hungarians.)

Cheers... Bence

...There are no Hungarian rock stars who became known world-wide...

A very different situation from the 'Classical' side of things then, eh Bence?

Composers such as Bartok, Kodaly, Lehar and Liszt are household names. Those four spring immediately to mind. There must be others.

If we add to that the number of pieces inspired by Hungarian folk songs and melodies we find that the contribution from your country to the general History of Music is rather significant.

As far as current performers go; in the 'Beethoven' section alone I have the complete cycle of Piano Sonatas played by Jeno Jando and I have the Hungarian Philharmonic Orchestra performing all of his Symphonies.

To list individual works and peformances would take up far too much space, you'll be relieved to hear...

P.

Donnie...

Yeah, I've gotta admit at this point that I'm an old guy.

But I think your memory of "the old guy" is relatively in parallel with mine.

When I was a cub reporter sent to do a story on Johnny Cash back in the mid '60s, when I went backstage at the venue, the first person I ran into was Mother Maybelle.

Everybody, my editor, my publisher, the manager, told me "Be careful with Johnny because if you say something that bothers him, he may just leave."

I was about 80 percent scared. I don't think I was yet 21, but as I think about it, perhaps the reason I was sent on this one was that I was a picker and a folkie as well as playing in rock bands at the time.

Anyway, Mother Maybelle and I talked a bit and she took me into her dressing room to talk a bit about the music. I was oogling her old Gibbie archtop. She asked if I'd like to play it and, of course, I tried. I picked a bit of Wildwood flower while muffing the strings like you can't believe. She smiled and said she was happy to see I knew some Carter Family material.

I asked about the strings and she said they were Mapes extra heavy. I thought to myself, "Extra heavy, baloney, these are piano wires." I'd been playing a lotta 12-string at the time and these strings were impossible. Later I realized that she tended to capo up a lot, but still...

Her kindness included taking me into the green room and introducing me to the band as a fellow guitarist.

And then she introduced me to Cash as "a fellow musician who works and the newspaper, and he knows Carter Family music, and is here for an interview" was a heck of an example for all of us to follow as we gain our adult playing and performance confidence.

Yes, I can't remember the interview or what I wrote, but Cash was a good interview at that point and a giant of a man physically as well as in the music biz.

I can't thank Maybelle enough for her kindness and as far as I'm concerned, if there's an angel in heaven, she's one of them.

As with your "old man," it's to encourage kids to play and that one way or another, there's a future as a picker whether pro or just at home.

Some local high school kids started a band here and play with original material. I'll freely admit the style isn't my cup of tea. But I've tried to encourage them to keep at it and have fun. I tell them truthfully that they're doing very well in their creation of their own sound, and have been working very well together. Perhaps some day one of 'em will remember the old gray-haired guy's encouragement just a little bit, and that, antique though he was, also was obviously enjoying guitar and performance as much or more than they were.

m

Yeah that story was in KISS and Makeup wasn't it?

Because I remember Gene said that's how KISS helped launch Dimarzio pickups.

Yes. Ace has told of his beginnings with DiMarzio as well (and I trust his word on that subject). And Larry himself has talked about going to college with Gene and being around them (Wicked Lester/KISS) in the early days.

I wouldn't say KISS helped launch DiMarzio (especially if the idea that they did came from Gene, who is quite the hype machine, as we all know), though.

I dunno...

In the 50s and early '60s quite a few archtops carried add-on DeArmonds.

Believe me... <grin> I converted an acoustic archtop to electric with one. Also added a doubled G an octave up to add some ring and punch. That would have been around '66-7. Also believe me, regardless how loud we played, I never had a feedback problem.

m

The 70s shaped my life in both good and bad ways. For the record, hell no! I refuse to use a corporate name such as "classic rock.!" Sorry buster, we did not call it that ever! The crap was tagged on our music in the early 80s around there. Deep Purple, J. Geils, Allman Brothers, Grand Funk, Led Zep, Jimi Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Cream, Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, James Gang, Johnny and Edgar and company, I can go on for ions here! The 50s,60s and 70s ruled with great tunes. There was also good soul, funk, country and jazz going on back then. Over here in the states and over in Europe, there was great music going on back then.

Yeah, I've never really cared of "labels," either! Except the ones, on food products, and clothing!

We NEVER had anyone ask us, back then, "what kind of music, do you play?!!" And, we played it all..

blues, rock, a bit of folk-rock/country, motown, even '50's stuff. Still do, for that matter. But,

(sure as Hell) we're labeled "Classic Rock," now. :rolleyes:[tongue]

CB

...we're labeled "Classic Rock," now. :rolleyes:[tongue]

CB

Hello CB!

I often get very mad when I show some music of the 80s to my younger colleagues (in their 20s), and they go: "yeah, great, old-school stuff!". Even, they say that phrase in english, because they think it's "trendy"! Punks!

Cheers... Bence

Another good one is RETRO lol.

And what we called Heavy Metal back then well lets just say the Heavy Metal today is a Cookie Monster singing over an M-60 Machine Gun LOL!

Hmmm, maybe the next time someone asks me, "what kind of music do you guys do?"...I'll just answer "Relic'd Rock!" [flapper][biggrin]

CB

Okay...

After the Rick, I used the 7-string converted archtop.

Then... honestly, so #@$% many electrics I don't and can't recall them all.

It taught me I don't care for most solidbodies. I tried a number of LPs and they just never felt good in terms of my physical geometry, so I've never owned one.

The one solidbody I wish I had back is a Hagstrom 12. I've kept the early '70s Guild S100c - an SG clone with the top holding carved acorns and oak leaves. It's an incredible guitar that just feels good and has marvelous sound whether you're doing Bach, jazz, country, rock, blues...

I actually ended up using that early AE Ovation Electric Legend with a lot of "country" stuff in the early-mid '70s along with an electric of some sort. Seriously, it's been so long ago I only remember a few of those swaps and buy-sell deals.

m

Back in the 70s, I was a kid, and a early teen. 13 in 1979. I was a KISS freak, like my friends, and many of you were. I loved ACE, and he is the main reason I play guitar today. He had a big influence on me back then. I wanted a Les Paul so bad back then, I could taste it. I remember going into music stores, and seeing the Les Pauls hanging on the walls, and just drooling. Needless to say, when I grew up, got a job, I bought a Les Paul sunburst. I played it some, but found out my dream guitar was to heavy, and I lost interest in having it. Sad to say, but I will always remember my first influence, and my first guitar lust. Ace and the Les Paul.

P.S. Before some wise A$$ cracks on here, not lust for ACE, but the Les Paul. Just wanted to clear that up.

I remember my dad was in the Van Craze back then, and had a decked out Chevy panel van, with a cb radio, and also an 8 track player, and one of those wood center consoles with the cup holders, remember those. and of course shag carpet.

Archived