Gibson Brands Forums

Tribute to the 70's...

daveinspain

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a lot of good Rock N Roll music and bands during the 70s - but the evil DISCO started cutting into our paydays. Cheaper for bar owner to hire one guy with a turntable than a band. And that horrible dance music (heavy bass and synth - not much guitar)! There were just so many small clubs that went disco and shut out live music because it was trendy so overall very mixed feelings about that decade.

60s and 70s were okay... 70s a bit better 'cuz I had more wherewithall.

Usually only 60-hour average workweeks, playing music 2-3 nights a week and heavy PT three-four days a week.

And I thrived on it.

Then again, I was young. <grin>

Also, we Anglophones in general had less government cutting the fun when we were in our late teens, 20s and early 30s.

m

TM. [blink]

Yup, did that. I even qualified as a TM teacher at the same time as becoming totally disillusioned with the organization. The TM itself is good, I still do it occasionally. And I had that Charles Lloyd LP (Waves') with the TM song on it sung by the Beach Boys.

But apart from that.....HAIR. I had a fine head of hair in the 1970s, not much left now......

Well...

Although I did far better economically and in "personal" ways in the '70s than since, one must also remember the wage and price freeze in the US, the angst over 'Nam with good people in uniform taking crap they didn't deserve at all, the end almost entirely of the folkie informal fun era, the turn of the drug culture to some pretty nasty stuff, and overall the problems of population with the baby boomers now wanting somewhere to live and spawn. Etc., etc.

OTOH, as a picker, there were lots of venues and the sophistication of imported guitars had risen to what seemed to be unbelievably high quality for the price. It was a great time to play live music.

And then... from the perspective of someone getting into their teen years in the '50s, the bottom fell out beginning in the late '60s with batch after batch of laws that restricted prior freedoms and increased the overhead costs of just plain living and going to work. One might make a value judgment on that latter, one way or another, but it remains fact.

If you're too young to remember that... it's difficult to explain how much more things cost and how much less personal freedom one might enjoy at a given level of personal income, yes adjusted for inflation, from let's say 1965 to 2013.

One might also note that also through the late 70s forward, U.S. education and health care went from being considered very good to being mediocre among developed national cultures.

Seriously, I'd very much love to credit or blame various sorts of "partisan politics" for the increasing cost of a decreasing comparative standard of living - but instead I tend increasingly to put the blame on increasing population densities and the cultural artifacts that accompany that reality.

BTW, after having been "into" zen and Asian martial arts since the late '50s, I tended to think what I saw of TM as a bit of a pop fad courtesy of rock stars. Go Rin No Sho ... read as a very extended metaphor.

m

Transcendental Meditation... I learned TM and practiced it religiously for years. Yeah, it was a fad, and in fact, it may have made claims that were patently false. But I can tell you that it did have some dramatically positive effects on me. I was a student at the time I learned it. What I got was the improved ability to process information, better perform deductive reasoning, and reach more well-reasoned conclusions. Where my brain was full of mush, it took that mush and gave it order and relativity. It seemed to rewire some circuitry that had been previously haywire. But at that age, this might be attributable to the natural brain maturation process.

"...Then you will come to think of things in a wide sense and, taking the void as the Way, you will see the Way as void.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness."

m

Archived