Gibson Brands Forums

The M Word

brannon67

Ok, Im going to say the(M) word here. Sorry. Do any of you guys have or have you played the Martin M36 model? I played one at a local store here, and was very impressed by the tone and playability and the overall looks of the guitar.What you do think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, Im going to say the(M) word here. Sorry. Do any of you guys have or have you played the Martin M36 model? I played one at a local store here, and was very impressed by the tone and playability and the overall looks of the guitar.What you do think?

you know I really really love the OM 45 deluxe looks but I'm not really that crazy about rosewood so if I ever got a nice Martin it would probably be with koa back and sides or a nice D 18 . I really love the looks of the 1936 D 45s they are offering for 2013 but again I'm not that crazy about Brazilian Rosewood ... Indian is good enough for me ... and I don't mean to say I won't ever have a BR guitar just saying I'm not hyped about it .

a while back I was going to get a Johnny Cash lefty D 35 that Buc M was kind enough to check out (it was a Southpaws) so Southpaws sent it to Fuller's but Jeremy said it was in bad shape when he inspected it so he sent it back .

Buc's D 18v is a great axe from what I have heard in his videos I can see why he kept his D 18 and instead of the gibson J 45 TV and Hbird .

and I really like the OM shape and the 0000 (also known as M style) guitars so to aswer to yeah I'd love myself an M 36 with Myrtle or Koa b/s

JC

I've played a few M models, but not sure what ones. I do remember being impressed, but I'm warming up to the Martin sound lately, having recently restrung by D28 and hearing it with fresh ears for the first time in years.

Hopefully, someone here is an expert on Martins and can tell all of us the key differences between models the way we've learned our Gibsons.

If you're in the M-mood, the 36 and 38 are very fine guitars.

I advice to A/B with the 3 28's and the 18's if in a buying situation.

From there it's a matter of nuances and what fits your repertoire, style and hands.

Guess the logic follows the obvious : More boom - room - maybe volume to the dreads. The others a bit more focused.

Then again nuances from deer to deer. . . .

Met a broken in M-36 a few years back - amazing.

From there it's a matter of nuances and what fits your repertoire, style and hands.

Really believe this is the key to the final choice.

We usually talk about so good guitars on these pages - in different ways they all sound better than good.

When you close in on 2 or 3 guitars that really sings to you, then the rest should depend on the way they answer your call - down to the smallest detail.

And I'm talking feel and speed of response here - sonic micro flavors too. We're into the nitty gritty corners of the relation between player and instrument.

Exactly that can be hard to meassure in a shop so take your time and get the thing home if possible.

A good idea is to play your 3 favorite tunes and see how smooth they come flying - like imagining a little performance in front of a dinner party

(a situation under a bit of pressure).

After that it's all in your guts - you can sense which horse will get you across. . .

I have an M, specifically an M-30 JK. I don't talk about it here for the same reason I wouldn't go to a SF Giants-hosted fan forum if I felt the need to start a discussion about the joys and trials of being a Cubs fan.

Of course, I once did the verse

Came in one morning, 'bout half past 9

Woman grabbed a chair, tried to knock me blind

when performing "Cocaine Blues" at the San Jose Center for the Blind. I'm not sure I should be allowed to charge anyone with lack of sensitivity.

-- Bob R

I thought you meant my M14 National with the M word.........kidding.

It is a beautiful guitar though....

BluesKing777.

If you want to cut through the debate, it's safe to say having a Martin AND Gibson in your stable gives you the best of both, and different worlds. They really have complimentary ranges and tone for players who love variation.

I love the M36. The M size is jumbo shape, but shallower than a dread. It is so comfortable. I almost bought an M36 from Mandolin Brothers but walked out with an M21 Steve Earle, which was the second best guitar I have ever played .

If you like the M36 you really need to get your hands on an M21.

Today I went in to buy some strings at Music Den..an uninteresting store..and saw an incredible Sunburst.

It was as handsome as can be and was a model D18GE...

I took a look at the Adirondack top and the spacing of the growth rings were a freaking ridiculous 1/3 of an inch over most of the top...on a $3500 guitar ..

When you think that the difference in price between a decent top and this hara at the souce saved Martin what,.. $25 ?

Martin has become too big & too greedy.And the guitars are boring and Gibsons are nicer.

I love the M36. The M size is jumbo shape, but shallower than a dread. It is so comfortable. I almost bought an M36 from Mandolin Brothers but walked out with an M21 Steve Earle, which was the second best guitar I have ever played .

If you like the M36 you really need to get your hands on an M21.

Just to think that you were so close..that in an obscure room off to the side, a few Lowdens & Huss and Daltons hung that would have been more responsive than anything by Martin that was not 70+ years old. : )

I think Martins are great. I've owned several and now have a D35. I had an M36 and loved the size and versatility of the guitar. I also had a 000028H (herringbone trim), and liked it better. In fact, I wish I had not traded that one away.

Anyway, the M series Martins are all excellent, and so comfortable to play. Go for it. Variety is a good thing.

Hope I don't get hosed off the sidewalk here on this forum, cause I love my Gibsons too.

RB

Im generally not a fan of rosewood Martin dreads, but I have to say there is something different in the tone of the 40 series Martins.

Everyone Ive played had 'shimmer' or a top end sparkle that I was missing in the lower end models which often were quite muddy and very bottom end dominating.

I brought this observation up on the AGF and the 40's owners seemed to all agree with me, while the 28 series owners almost all were conditioned to believe the 40's series Martins are just 28 + bling. (but I have a feeling its a bit of an inferiority complex)

I can certainly hear a difference and more balance in those models, rather impressive.

Today I went in to buy some strings at Music Den..an uninteresting store..and saw an incredible Sunburst.

It was as handsome as can be and was a model D18GE...

I took a look at the Adirondack top and the spacing of the growth rings were a freaking ridiculous 1/3 of an inch over most of the top...on a $3500 guitar ..

When you think that the difference in price between a decent top and this hara at the souce saved Martin what,.. $25 ?

Martin has become too big & too greedy.And the guitars are boring and Gibsons are nicer.

But how did it sound? Growth rings and other formulaic observations aside, it all boils down to how the guitar plays and sounds. While I haven't found a Martin that appeals to me while I'm playing one, they are fine guitars. To say they haven't made a guitar worth playing in 70 years is a bit of hyperbole, no?

There are Martin guitar forums available online if you want to discuss an instrument like this with people who have an interest in them.

Some of us here have interest in more than one brand and don't mind the discussion in these forums at all. If the forum owner has an issue, I'm certain they will deal with it.

I have an M, specifically an M-30 JK. I don't talk about it here for the same reason I wouldn't go to a SF Giants-hosted fan forum if I felt the need to start a discussion about the joys and trials of being a Cubs fan.

Of course, I once did the verse

Came in one morning, 'bout half past 9

Woman grabbed a chair, tried to knock me blind

when performing "Cocaine Blues" at the San Jose Center for the Blind. I'm not sure I should be allowed to charge anyone with lack of sensitivity.

-- Bob R

Your well placed use of tact is appreciated!

My God, where is all this hostility coming from guys, Sorry, Didnt mean to piss in anyones cereal. God, Just Im not the only one on here talking about Martin guitars. Some of you grow up. And thank you guys who understand thats it not a peeing contest on here. I love Gibson guitars like the rest of you, and yes, I have a Martin guitar God forbid. I have Gibsons also. So yes, I will go to the Martin forum also, becasue its my right to do so, just like its your right and my right or anyone elses right to be on here or wherever. We are all adults here, well at least some us are anyway.

Some of us here have interest in more than one brand and don't mind the discussion in these forums at all. If the forum owner has an issue, I'm certain they will deal with it.

Thank you sir for understanding.

Archived