Gibson Brands Forums

She still can't sing.

MissouriPicker

Don't know if I'll ever be a fan of her's, but she has learned how to make the most of her stage presence and her looks. There are a couple of folksy songs that I think she's pretty good on, but most of her stuff is bubblegum music and at times she seems way-out-of her element and off-key. If she ever finds her niche, she might become far more than a teeny bopper idol. Anyway, her she is with The Stones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbtpfw81OJY

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well....there is a BIG difference between "singer" and "entertainer" Apparently, as an entertainer, you don't really need to sing well......She was the top grossing music phenom of 2012 ahead of some pretty good competition:

1. Taylor Swift

$35,719,902

2. U2

$32,116,315

3. Kenny Chesney

$29,837,103

4. Lady Gaga

$25,353,039

5. Lil Wayne

$23,178,722

6. Sade

$16,382,809

7. Bon Jovi

$15,835,856

8. Celine Dion

$14,261,515

9. Jason Aldean

$13,409,011

10. Adele

$13,081,909

I just don't get it!!!?????

No offense to any Swift fans out there, but I went to see Keith Urban a few years ago and Swift opened. It was the worst concert I ever went to because of her show. It ruined our evening with Keith. I know she is a marketing machine and my hat is off to her for that. I just don't get it.

Wow..that is freakin horrible.

Funny you should put this.

Yesterday for the first time in my life I looked for something to learn to play by her to teach a 10-11 year old girl I bought a guitar for last year,

to try & ignite more interest, and she likes Taylor Swift.

Oh brother..she's nice and tall, she's cute..barely a voice and has no hips..

and there's girls screaming in the audience..for a girl..what's this world comin to..

Anymore, with the ability to digitally alter the human voice (or any music) in real time, one cannot trust that what one is hearing is 100% the ability of the "artist". One can't ascertain if someone truly has a three octave range unless you hear them in person, unamplified. In the current era I'm astounded that a photograph would even be admissable as evidence in a court of law given how real some things look on TV these days when you know it's bogus (remember the Nissan ad of a jet nose wheel landing in the back of a pickup truck?!!).

True talent, as most of us older folks know from actually seeing it performed when it was the only way to fame, isn't what matters anymore. Sadly, we live in a world where fluff matters more than substance in more and more cases. The salary numbers support that contention I think. That's one of the reasons I like listening to and playing acoustic guitar...unamplified; either, one can make that guitar sound a certain way, or one can't. There ain't no gray area. When it can be done, it just sounds so honest and great.

Those two have to rank up there with Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan doing "Scarborough Fair"...talk about fingernails on the chalk board. They sounded like two cats with their tails tied together and thrown over a clothesline. (Lemon juice and sauerkraut) My opinion.

No offense to any Swift fans out there, but I went to see Keith Urban a few years ago and Swift opened. It was the worst concert I ever went to because of her show. It ruined our evening with Keith. I know she is a marketing machine and my hat is off to her for that. I just don't get it.

The answer is 11-14 year olds ..they ask..parents buy..

Parents are more willing to buy Taylor Swift for the kid than they are the good stuff for themselves..

I know friends my age and the last time they bought a CD for themselves was 30 years ago..

It's quite sad in many ways. Even a cracking pair of legs & fitted shorts combo couldn't save it.

Out of context and out of the time that is a rubbish song. The live sound is terrible, Micks accent is beyond self parody, keefs 'tone' rivals that of pretty horrible cheap electro acoustics, his overuse of effects sounds like a cheapo tatty multi effects pedal. I could go on about zombie wife beaters etc... But looking that, Ronnie clearly has enough problems.

As for Taylor herself, she was no worse than anything else that went on in that clip.

That is ALL Jagger is thinking.

I've seen worse....

But it wasn't her key, darlings!

(She started high and loud and left herself nowhere to go in the chorus bit.)

And by the way she is leaning on Mick and then kissin' the boys, they were fulfilling a previous promise.

BluesKing777.

A year or so ago I kind of thought she was changing direction a little bit, but I think it was only temporary. She did a few songs with The Civil Wars that leaned in the folk direction and she was singing in a key that didn't seem a strain for her voice. She's certainly easy-on-the-eyes, but I agree that it's her marketing team that truly knows how to present her. By now, the off-key singing and awkward dancing movements (although she's better now) and looking out-of-place have become part of her trademark and it may be what her fans expect and want. It might all have become part of the persona. Whatever, she made more money by her late teens that I could make in twenty lifetimes.

the off-key singing and awkward dancing movements (although she's better now) and looking out-of-place have become part of her trademark and it may be what her fans expect and want. It might all have become part of the persona.

yup...she's so cute to look at and has those great long legs ...and then she looks so goofy moving across the stage...she reminds me of a newborn colt the way she moves...

BTW...in the close up of keef playing guitar...it looks like he has two strings on the low E. is that an optical illusion or are my eyes going blind (remember I WAS watching TS in short-shorts so maybe the going blind part is happening....)

Yeah, it does look like he has two low E strings. I had to go back and watch it for the umpteenth time and make myself focus on Keith. Guys like Keith or Wood can play with one string and still make it sound good. BTW, Swift did resemble Marianne Faithful quite a bit in that video. The hair, the dress/short shorts, the eyes, and so on. I suspect that was the idea.

Archived