Gibson Brands Forums

How to do a cover ...

EuroAussie

EA,Yea this was a biggy. It was posted on here a ways back. But maybe it was when you were in Forum Solitary Confinement for one of your many indiscretions [biggrin]. But it's worth another peek.

Not surprised it was posted earlier, I just saw it today for first time ... lordy, lord.

I am conflicted. I will try to watch it later - I promise. On one hand I love Jimmy Page. And I am ape over Nancy Wilson! So why am I having a hard time clicking on it? Guitar store have ruined this song for me 20 years ago - I dont think I have listened to it since! LOL

I am conflicted. I will try to watch it later - I promise. On one hand I love Jimmy Page. And I am ape over Nancy Wilson! So why am I having a hard time clicking on it? Guitar store have ruined this song for me 20 years ago - I dont think I have listened to it since! LOL

But you havent heard it done like this, trust me Sal .... put on a set of headphones and give in ...

That was awesome! And I have never really liked this song, or Led Zepplin for that matter.

It was interesting to see the looks on Roberty, Jimmy and John's faces as they listened to this. They seemed touched, humbled, impressed, appreciative... all at the same time.

Holy Mother of Zoso!!!! freaking incredible.. yes, indeed - That is how you do a cover..

I loved the entourage all coming on the stage and honoring those guys at the end.

where would rock and roll be with out the likes of Led Zep!

Amazing tribute..

just watch it already! Cripes!! [thumbup]

really man, you wont see it done like that ever again.

That was awesome! And I have never really liked this song, or Led Zepplin for that matter.

It was interesting to see the looks on Roberty, Jimmy and John's faces as they listened to this. They seemed touched, humbled, impressed, appreciative... all at the same time.

Agree 100%.

But I think Plant is jealous that Ann Wilson still has the pipes that he used up quite a while ago.

Shrill and typically awful. I can't handle anything from Heart for that reason. If I'm craving that nasally tone I'll settle for Grace Slick. I hope there's someone out there who agrees.

Agree 100%.

But I think Plant is jealous that Ann Wilson still has the pipes that he used up quite a while ago.

But you also get the feeling Plant is now doing what he really always wanted to do. The guy has always had a fascination with more traditional music. And now he does not have to worry about Willie Dixon (or at least his surviving family members) suing him and his bandmates.

Shrill and typically awful. I can't handle anything from Heart for that reason. If I'm craving that nasally tone I'll settle for Grace Slick. I hope there's someone out there who agrees.

And you think Plant isn't shrill?

I've never been a Heart fan, but Nancy is a bit easy on the eyes. And I agree with you about Grace Slick. If "Somebody to Love" doesn't get you goin', you're already dead. (It helps that I'm working in San Francisco for the next few months......)

My link

Never been a Heart fan either. But I did love the Airplane and saw them probably 20 times. Always looked forward to their traditional Thanksgiving show at the Fillmore East. Graces vocals more often as not were not on but it didn't matter as we all had the hots for her.

When it comes to ladies with pipes in the 1960s nobody could hold a candle to Tracy Nelson (Mother Earth). She is still out there singing her heart out every night. Don't you just love it when threads run amuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jsiUFCQRHc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BvO_Yd5JBY

I have to admit I got goose bumps all over ... and almost a tear. Enjoy folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2O3OAQjng

Great clip!

The band all looked a bit emotional, but if I recall the whole show was various tributes of their songs, which I guess we will hear one at a time over the next while...

(Did anyone else think the Martin was a bit quacky at the beginning?)

BluesKing777.

edit: I also meant to say how many people were needed on stage to reproduce a tune done by 4 Zeppers.....

Wonderful cover of a simply wonderful song. Thank you for sharing. In my opinion, there have only ever been but a few songs in the entire world which qualify as genius. Stairway to Heaven is one of them. The birth of this alluring song, as its writer collapsed into a death hold while walking alone upon the scorching desert in Saudi Arabia, is simply tantalizing. It is said that this is where the lyrics were delivered just before being rescued by fellow band members. (at least this is the way I have heard it) And upon waking up in the hospital, a pencil and paper were immediately requested...and the words were forever set. I would predict this song will be known, and cherished 10,000 years from now. For it message is timeless. And this particular cover of Stairway To Heaven, which I have seen before, did it great justice, so many decades after the original words were delivered on that blasting hot desert. I ran into it once on the internet but could not find it again. Other than that, I can not verify it, but that is the story I have heard...that these words were delivered to him as he lie very close to death in the desert while on tour, and just outside a restaurant there, where he insisted on taking a walk alone, without his band members in the desert...Has anyone else heard of this rumor?... Again..wonderful cover thank you!

Wonderful cover of a simply wonderful song. Thank you for sharing. In my opinion, there have only ever been but a few songs in the entire world which qualify as genius. Stairway to Heaven is one of them. The birth of this alluring song, as its writer collapsed into a death hold while walking alone upon the scorching desert in Saudi Arabia, is simply tantalizing. It is said that this is where the lyrics were delivered just before being rescued by fellow band members. (at least this is the way I have heard it) And upon waking up in the hospital, a pencil and paper were immediately requested...and the words were forever set. I would predict this song will be known, and cherished 10,000 years from now. For it message is timeless. And this particular cover of Stairway To Heaven, which I have seen before, did it great justice, so many decades after the original words were delivered on that blasting hot desert. I ran into it once on the internet but could not find it again. Other than that, I can not verify it, but that is the story I have heard...that these words were delivered to him as he lie very close to death in the desert while on tour, and just outside a restaurant there, where he insisted on taking a walk alone, without his band members in the desert...Has anyone else heard of this rumor?... Again..wonderful cover thank you!

I just read about the genesis of this song on Wikipedia and it said nothing about a desert or a near death experience. Page and Plant both said that Plant wrote most of the lyrics spontaneously while listening to Page play it on guitar.

The desert story is a very romantic myth, but apparently just that... A myth.

Agreed. If for nothing else then for the fact that Plant is a closet ginger, about 5 minutes in the desert and he'd be toast with that complexion.

Haha! [laugh] Being a redhead myself, I found that quite funny! I know I wouldn't last very long in a desert!

I sat through it and liked seeing it thanks ,but Im sick of that song, and this one was piled up high with too much butter creme.

Over blown.. And for a guitar solo most rock guys wankered on..they get this freakin guy,whoever he was, to deliver that.

Honoring Led Zeppelin should a had Eric Johnson in to do it.

Archived