Gibson Brands Forums

Now UPS wants to negotiate

ol fred

Apparently when you make lots of noise and won't go away negotiation is the next step in the UPS handbook. Estimate of repair or declaration of value by a known and respected member of the music industry, and of course vintage Gibson collectors do not qualify.

So I have decided to negotiate on my terms, quite simple really. Pay the money you owe me and I won't sue you and I will cease my negative advertising campaign against your company.

Even if you are not a member and don't (do) facebook please visit my new facebook page and give it a like, share with friends and ask them to do the same. Lots of scary vids of UPS delivery men, literally hundreds of cases, many just like my own (UPS specialty seems to be accusing one of fraud by shipping broken guitars) and oh yeah...there"s even a bit of music on the page called United Broke My Guitar.

Please help with a couple of mouse clicks or comment if ya wish to help put these bastids in their place

Fred

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did they say made it obvious that the guitar was broken before you shipped it?

P

It was packed in an original Gibson shipping container with twenty five dollars worth of bubble wrap and the container was not damaged. In the "investigators" opinion the guitar was exceptionally well packaged, therefore it was obvious to them that I was attempting to defraud the company.

Easy to tell what happened from the photos that Bill sent to me, The guitar was slammed extremely hard on the end pin.

For Jerry K....after four years of listening to your negativity I finally made the decision to block your messages and posts. The forum would be a much nicer place to visit if everyone else did the same.

It was packed in an original Gibson shipping container with twenty five dollars worth of bubble wrap and the container was not damaged.

Easy to tell what happened from the photos that Bill sent to me, The guitar was slammed extremely hard on the end pin.

For Jerry K....after four years of listening to your negativity I finally made the decision to block your messages and posts. The forum would be a much nicer place to visit if everyone else did the same.

Ignorance is bliss, I agree! On the off chance you are still listening, I will observe that if the matter goes to court, UPS will doubtless find someone who does shipping for big music store or manufacturer who will say shipping a guitar without a case is not wise, even with tons of bubble wrap. People on this forum are prone to polite fibbing so you'll get some support here. But there is a pretty good chance you would lose in court. Hence I advise you negotiate the best settlement you can.

Ignorance is bliss, I agree! On the off chance you are still listening, I will observe that if the matter goes to court, UPS will doubtless find someone who does shipping for big music store or manufacturer who will say shipping a guitar without a case is not wise, even with tons of bubble wrap. People on this forum are prone to polite fibbing so you'll get some support here. But there is a pretty good chance you would lose in court. Hence I advise you negotiate the best settlement you can.

And an easy counter for any tuppence-ha'penny lawyer would be that under the $500 price bracket the majority of guitars are sold minus any case, think Epiphones and whatnot... they are shipped daily across the country in shipping cartons minus any other packaging than a shipping carton and some bubble wrap. It's just that Fred's was/is more valuable than yer average guitar traveling about in this case. If you took the tablets as often as you naysay Jerry, you'd probably be a lot more of a sunnier sort of guy.

Fred, good luck mate, hope the buggers back down and sort you out.

Keep us posted

I wouldn't sweat it TOO much Fred,

no matter what the guitar could have been packed in..these thing happen..and UPS must get 1000's of such claims every day.

Obviously the are firstly gonna try and fob you off.... they will get many many fraudulent claims also... and you just got to stand your ground.

At the end of the day.

An ex law enforcement officer .. seeting up Facebook pages to warn people of UPS and how they may not take the best care of customers items... and threatening court,,, well they don't need it..haha

if they have any sense... you will get a settlement fair to your situation..before it gets near any court.

I had a run in with Jerry the first couple of posts I ever made here.. he hasn't changed I see... ce la vie

Good luck Fred

I wouldn't sweat it TOO much Fred,

no matter what the guitar could have been packed in..these thing happen..and UPS must get 1000's of such claims every day.

Obviously the are firstly gonna try and fob you off.... they will get many many fraudulent claims also... and you just got to stand your ground.

At the end of the day.

An ex law enforcement officer .. seeting up Facebook pages to warn people of UPS and how they may not take the best care of customers items... and threatening court,,, well they don't need it..haha

if they have any sense... you will get a settlement fair to your situation..before it gets near any court.

I had a run in with Jerry the first couple of posts I ever made here.. he hasn't changed I see... ce la vie

Good luck Fred

They banned me from making posts on their facebook page, that's why I started the victims page. As of Tuesday it goes to my attorney and he's a good one. They (UPS) have seen the page (gleeful smile here) they have already gone over their budget of four thousand dollars worth of negative advertising. After my law enforcement career I started a new career in advertising, marketing, and sales. I haven't begun to fight yet. I told them that they kicked the wrong dog this time.

One wonders how many indicating support would themselves ship a valuable guitar or knowingly have a valuable guitar shipped to them in a standard cardboard guitar box with bubble wrap but no case?

Outfits like Musician's Friend and so forth can ship cheap guitars in minimal packaging because the shipping service has less ability to say the guitar was already broken and both the seller and the shipping service can live with the risks involved on cheapo instruments and the rate of damage. The customer has no risk - back it goes. That is a remarkably different situation from me shipping a valuable guitar to someone buying it from me.

I am leaving UPS aside since I assume they screwed up somehow, otherwise how did it get broken. The questions I pose are would it be broken if it had been shipped in a case? If it were, would the case provide better evidence than cardboard and bubble wrap of what really happened?

I probably would have put it a case, but that really does not matter. UPS said it was sufficiently packed. Regardless of the worth of the guitar they are at times shipped without a case from the factory. It is an industry accepted procedure.

And an easy counter for any tuppence-ha'penny lawyer would be that under the $500 price bracket the majority of guitars are sold minus any case, think Epiphones and whatnot... they are shipped daily across the country in shipping cartons minus any other packaging than a shipping carton and some bubble wrap. It's just that Fred's was/is more valuable than yer average guitar traveling about in this case. If you took the tablets as often as you naysay Jerry, you'd probably be a lot more of a sunnier sort of guy.

Fred, good luck mate, hope the buggers back down and sort you out.

Keep us posted

They ship 680 EUR steet priced Fender Special Series Telecaster FMT HH guitars from Indonesia in a rectangular, and 845 EUR street priced Fender 65 Mustang basses from Japan to Germany in a triangular carton made of corrugated cardboard with the instrument just put into a polystyrene foam bag, about 1.5 mm (1/16 inch) thick, with silica dryer bags, and cushioned by three Styropor pads of 25 mm (1 inch) above the neck and around the body edges only. There was no gigbag or case whatsoever, and I bought cases separately. Since I purchased one of each instrument, I'm pretty sure what I post here. There was not a trace of any damage to be seen although the Styropor pads looked a bit worn.

The reason why Guitar Shipping 101 states you never ever ship a guitar with the end pin in.

Don't think that it didn't cross my mind, but neither my luthier or myself could dislodge it after 55 years

Archived