Gibson Brands Forums

gillian welch regardless what your tastes are

blindboygrunt

Ill check out the video later at home BBG, but agree those two are a class act, highly distinct, especially with Dave's particular playing.

Having said that, their music does frustrate me. Some of it I find mindblowingly good but other times they really get far too countryish for my Euro taste.

I think Im gonna make a playlist of my fave tracks into a super Gill & Dave combo ...

Great videos. If you ever you think you guitar isn't suited to a particular style of music,

Dave Rawlins Epiphone breaks that myth! I think it is an unusual choice of instrument

for Country, it sound fantastic. So Gibson have now produced 2 Sheryl Crow models.

Though I am not a fan of artist models particularly, I would have thought a Gillian Welch model

would be on the cards. After all, she never gigs without it.

Regarding the OP, that's the way I want to hear acoustic guitars -- mic'd. Looks like she has two SM57's on hers and I see one on his. I don't see anything indicating a pickup. Good sound. Her Gibson sounds good, as does his whatever it is.

FWIW, I'd call their music folk or Americana, not country.

I'm with Livemusic on this. This is the way acoustic guitars are meant to be played. For me, these two artists are excellent. Alone and together. Her vocals and his guitar playing are a perfect match. I like their downhome and rootsy sound. There's a country/folk sound in their material that I find very appealing. It's real and has a lot of class. I also like Gillian's guitars.

Great videos. If you ever you think you guitar isn't suited to a particular style of music,

Dave Rawlins Epiphone breaks that myth! I think it is an unusual choice of instrument

for Country, it sound fantastic. So Gibson have now produced 2 Sheryl Crow models.

Though I am not a fan of artist models particularly, I would have thought a Gillian Welch model

would be on the cards. After all, she never gigs without it.

I read on another forum that she has purchased one of Wilma Lee Cooper's D-45's; if true, I wonder if we'll be seeing the Gibson?

I read on another forum that she has purchased one of Wilma Lee Cooper's D-45's; if true, I wonder if we'll be seeing the Gibson?

Gruhn Guitars handled those D-45 sales $125,000.

I wonder if she would take that to gigs?

Uh oh. I have this totally unsubstantiated general feeling/observation that artists that begin their careers with a Gibson lose something once they go Martin. They write songs, they perform with a Gibson, they become famous. Once they're famous, and they can afford it, they show up with a Martin. From that point on the mojo just seems to go out of their music. Kaput! I love Gillian Welch's music and the rock solid rhythm playing she lays down with her J-50 and the way it compliments her voice is so central to her sound and persona. Now I'm worried. Or maybe I'm just biased and it means nothing.

This is the show that turned me on to their stuff. Despite owning the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack for years before seeing this gig on BBC4, I hadn't really remembered who was singing alongside Emmylou Harris and Alison Krauss, so this was a real revelation. The version of The Weight with the Old Crow Medicine Show is how an encore should be done. Great stuff.

I saw them two years ago and they were even better than in this video!

The two were playing like a complete unity!

During solos Rawlings seems to have fun just to hit a "wrong" note to force himself playing around that note to make sound "right" again. Go and see them whenever you can!

Anyway, good post!

Archived