Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite vocalists?

nick_s

I've been listening to a variety of music tonight (predominantly rock based) and it got me to thinking, who has the 'best' voice for their genre?

I have to hand it to Ann Wilson, she has the perfect female rock vocal in my opinion. Powerful and full of emotion. For the male side, there is so much more choice available. I've been a long time Richie Sambora fan, and I must say his vocals are sublime.

What say you? Who is your favourite vocalist for whichever genres you like?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Lee Hooker.

Janis Joplin.

Howlin' Wolf.

Maria Callas.

Joni Mitchell.

Pavarotti, of course.

Mama Cass.

There are hundreds more....

But if I was allowed a 'back-up-singer' from choice?

JLH.

Not even close.

P.

In no special order otherwise, but...

Ladies first:

Shara Nelson

Pat Benatar

Chrissie Hynde

Belinda Carlisle

Nina Persson

Gloria Estefan

... and for the Gentlemen:

Ronnie James Dio

Noddy Holder

Steve Lukather

Freddie Mercury

Paul Rodgers

Roger Daltrey

Actually I realy like Pete Townshends singing.

Tom Waits

Charlie Patton

Freddie Mercury

Alan Wilson

Nina Hagen ( ya I know but if you stop and really listen to her she's very good)

there are others but that's just a start..and some may not be technically great but they have a style or uniqueness I love.

Well...

I guess here's where I really show my age.

Female:

Swing: Bea Wain or Helen Forrestt

Rock: None I really think of as "rock" that trip my trigger as special

Country: Probably Patsy Cline - but you could make a call that she's jazz or pop, too. Met Kitty Wells, too. But Mother Maybelle always will be a super-favorite for the real old style.

Opera: Waltraud Meier. If you can listen to her recordings of Liebestod without affect, regardless whether it's sung in English or not, you must be....

Urban/folk blues: Karen Dalton although her life likely was yet more sad than Billie Holiday. Bessie Smith a crossover. Ditto Ella - or call her "jazz???"

Male:

Cowboy/folk: Ian Tyson - although I don't think he likes me much. Did/does great country too. Chris Ledoux... George Strait, some more mostly because I liked the tunes and/or lyric done well by a given artist.

Country: Probably Johnny Cash. Willie Nelson for variety of material and Waylon for good basic material. Then a batch of bluegrass folks that likely don't count.

Rock: Roy Orbison although some nowadays question he was "rock." Rod Stewart... whatever.

Blues: Problem here is "what variety." I'd say Leadbelly for example was a pop singer. Then Lightnin' Hopkins, BB, John Hurt, Louis Armstrong in ways but again as a crossover. John Lee Hooker, Roy Buchanan for gentleness...

m

Actually I realy like Pete Townshends singing.

Tom Waits

Charlie Patton

Freddie Mercury

Alan Wilson

Nina Hagen ( ya I know but if you stop and really listen to her she's very good)

there are others but that's just a start..and some may not be technically great but they have a style or uniqueness I love.

Yes, Nina Hagen is extraordinarily great - just didn't dare to mention her [biggrin]

She sang lots of lyrics in German that didn't comply to the rules for airplay, but she did it truly awesome, it was real sonic art.

Female: Ann Wilson, Lita Ford, Janis Joplin, Susan Tedeschi, Doro Pesch, Wendy O' Williams, Sass Jordan

Male: Ray Gillen (Badlands, Black Sabbath), Jeff Keith (Tesla), Steven Tyler, Paul Stanley, Peter Criss, Eric Carr, Tod Howarth (Frehley's Comet, 707, Cheap Trick, Ted Nugent), Derek St. Holmes, Richie Scarlet (Ace Frehley, Sebastian Bach, Mountain, solo), Robert Plant, John Corabi (Motley Crue, Union, Scream, Eric Singer Project), Steve Marriott, Peter Frampton, 3/4s of The Beatles (John, Paul, and George), Eric Martin (Mr. Big), Dave Meniketti (Y&T), Zakk Wylde, David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes, Ian Gillan, Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Paul Rodgers, Bon Scott, Brian Johnson, Jesse James Dupree (Jackyl), Damon Johnson (Brother Cane, Alice Cooper, Thin Lizzy/Black Star Riders)...

Nice to see Dave make a list now and again. One of my favorites too - and a good player as well...

meniketti2.jpg

He's the ultimate double threat, as they call him. On top of that, he's a great songwriter.

And what a tone!

How can no one have mentioned Aretha Franklin or Stevie Wonder :) man to me those two have two of the best voices ever...

For rock theres many.. Robert Plant, Freddie (as has been mentioned).. Sting has a great and unique voice... Janice Joplin too she was amazing. Karen Carpenter had a great voice too.. ohh just too many.

Who else, Seal, hes got a great voice.. Ohh and Young Michael Jackson

This is one of my fave performances from him

I.M.H.O. Karen Carpenter had the overall best voice, give me chills, but that was a different generation of singers. Not sure about todays female singers, for male singers, Robert plant comes to mind instantly and the guy for Queensryche has a hell of a voice.

I know its old school but holy crap her voice is pure. I think Izzys voice could be in the same world as hers, she has a great voice

Female....

KD Lang

Male......

KD Lang

msp_flapper.gif

LOL,, good one!! [lol]

And I second that.

She is amazing.

I always knew she could belt out the tunes but I never really gave her a second thought.

Until I took my wife to see her,, it was a gift of some sort. lol

Holy Crap,, KD blew my frickin mind.

Second to none IMO.

And then out of the blue(to me) she sings "After the Goldrush" and then a few songs later she sang "Hallelujah"... I tell ya,, she had my frickin eyes welling up.

So good.

Queen

HRH Queen Elizabeth II ?..............

[scared]

And +1 for Annie Lennox, folks.

Another few ladies who have not yet been mentioned AFAIK;

Alison Moyet

Billie Holiday

Joan Baez

Norah Jones

Michelle Shocked

Sandy Denny

Joni Mitchell

Ella Fitzgerald

Eddi Reader

P.

Plucking a few from the infinite well of talent...

And not being able to name the nameless 'jobbing' session players who can beat so many 'pros' with their sheer professionalism...

Annie Lennox

Robert Plant

Charlotte Church

Roger Daltrey

Lennon/McCartney

Maria Ewing

Placido Domingo

Jack Bruce

Eric Clapton

Julie Andrews

Sandy Denny

Joni Mitchell