Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall In A Box

Californiaman

I have the CMAT Brownie Pedal - love it! [thumbup]

As far as a Marshall in a box pedal there are many articulate almost transparent offerings out there that will give you that Marshally tone territory but nothing of course replaces an actual Marshall tube amp for that pure Marshall sound. [laugh]

If you're not using a Marshall amp there are a lot of variables that will determine that Marshall sound. The type of guitar you are using, what amp(s) you're using, your style of playing and your picking dynamics - the settings on the amp and the pedal(s). So many variables that even after reviewing more pedals than I ever cared to - I would not recommend a particular pedal. And at the end of the day my friend, what your ears hear versus what my ears hear are probably quite different. You're just going to have to do it the old fashioned way - experiment. B)

I have the CMAT Brownie Pedal - love it! [thumbup]

As far as a Marshall in a box pedal there are many articulate almost transparent offerings out there that will give you that Marshally tone territory but nothing of course replaces an actual Marshall tube amp for that pure Marshall sound. [laugh]

If you're not using a Marshall amp there are a lot of variables that will determine that Marshall sound. The type of guitar you are using, what amp(s) you're using, your style of playing and your picking dynamics - the settings on the amp and the pedal(s). So many variables that even after reviewing more pedals than I ever cared to - I would not recommend a particular pedal. And at the end of the day my friend, what your ears hear versus what my ears hear are probably quite different. You're just going to have to do it the old fashioned way - experiment. B)

This! [thumbup] IMHO...If you Want "Marshall Tone"...get a Marshall. I've never

found a pedal (even Marshall pedals) that replicate that sound, accurately. And

anytime you put something else, in the signal chain, you gain, and loose things

you may not want to.

CB

In reality there are a lot of Marshall tones.

I have Marshall SL-5, Slash signature combo and that thing keeps getting better as it breaks in.

I almost bought a PlexiTone after seeing Pete Thorn's video a while back. But decided to get an actual Marshall amp, I bought the JCM-1 had it for a year and sold it for a profit when they got scarce then I bought the SL-5 at a discount.

I am sure you have seen this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMmK0VwYR2M

Here's my recommendation for a "Marshall in a Box"

Zevuie2.png

You never specified a size of box ;)

-Ryan

That's funny. Kind of expected everybody's sentiment to, "buy a real Marshall."

Now isn't the time for that. I've got three amps already.

When I do get a Marshall, it's going to be a Silver Jubilee or one of the 1974 models.

IDK maybe a JCM 800.

We'll have to wait and see.

For now, a nice overdrive/distortion pedal will suit me just fine.

I like my Green Rhino and the Marshall tone I get from it and may just end up sticking with it. It's a very versitile pedal.

I guess I'm just a pedal whore and want to be able to color my sound and tone to suit my needs and desires.

Or you can get a pedal with a nice tube stuck inside it :)

Not that I have any experience with them.. but id like to get one [thumbup]

Lots of those tube pedals are just a gimmick...not enough current in those pedals to get a tube cooking to the point where it actually makes a difference. A lot of them say "a step up transformer brings the voltage up" but even if there is a little transformer inside there, it won't do enough. 9/10 times the glow you see is just an LED behind the tube.

Also, I've seen people with some of those pedals remove the tube completely and the pedal still worked, didn't sound any different.

They're milking the market of us guitarists who are all "If it has tubes in it, it must be better". So they stick a tube in that doesn't do anything, and watch the money roll in.

On another note, the Xotic BB Preamp does a nice JTM45 impression.

-Ryan

Lots of those tube pedals are just a gimmick...not enough current in those pedals to get a tube cooking to the point where it actually makes a difference. A lot of them say "a step up transformer brings the voltage up" but even if there is a little transformer inside there, it won't do enough. 9/10 times the glow you see is just an LED behind the tube.

Also, I've seen people with some of those pedals remove the tube completely and the pedal still worked, didn't sound any different.

They're milking the market of us guitarists who are all "If it has tubes in it, it must be better". So they stick a tube in that doesn't do anything, and watch the money roll in.

On another note, the Xotic BB Preamp does a nice JTM45 impression.

-Ryan

Hmm.. that's disappointing to hear.. thanks for the info..

Id imagine there must be a few good ones out there though..

Oh well I will just have to get a fat tube amp instead (some day :))

G2D make some nice pedals - I have the Creamtone but the next one up is more a Marshall thing - then there are Marshall's own pedals, I think they have 3 od/dist pedals at the moment...but those Wampler pedals, that's the zone, want one of those!

Lovepedal Purple Plexi is pretty good.

Very Marshall-like. [thumbup] So is the LovePedal SuperLead and they are easier to find (and cheaper) than the Purple Plexi. If I were looking for the cheapest way to get a Marshall sound in a pedal, Cali Man, I'd probably go with the SuperLead.

_57-2.jpg

This...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/msg/4238331839.html

Great price and you can sell it for more than what you paid when you get that Silver Jubilee.

That would be an excellent amp.

Too bad Christmas has set me back, what with four other people (three of them kids).

But I've heard great things about the 50th anniversary series. Surfpup has one of them.

I know I said that I'm looking to buy a good Marshall this coming year, but I sure like what I'm hearing from Dave Friedman. His amps are ful of the tone I'm looking for.

The pink taco looks like it might be one I want to try. But if I had my druthers—and a little more cash—I'd get the Browneye.

Archived