Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson "blems"

brc

I read on another site today that Gibson is either taking orders or will be listing Gibson "blems" for sale around Sept. of this year.

That just seems odd that they would be advertising blems for sale when the dealers have not even received them yet.

Any one have any news about this.

I read that the blems will only be finish blems and not any thing like fret issues, electrical, or neck issues.

Just seems strange to me, but with this forum being more of a Gibson forum, than just guitars in general, I thought some one here might know of this.

thanks

I don't know anything about it.

But just as an observation I would say it's about time.

Seems to me the "blems" have been leaking through the cracks and sold anyway.

I never liked the whole "we don't sell seconds" philosophy.

If it plays the same and I save a fair amount of coin I don't care if it has a blem.

I end up putting my own "blems" on them eventually anyway.

I just hope they don't stamp them as such. I mean, who cares if it leaves the factory with a ding or scratch, as long as the buyer knows it up front and gets a deal? But there is a stigma attached to buying one from the 60s or 70s with a '2' on the headstock. Any evidence of it being flawless from the factory is LONG gone, even though none of them leave flawless anyway! But it can affect the resale years down the road.

Who cares, you may ask? I do. If I were looking at a 60s Schott Perfecto motorcycle jacket for several hundred dollars and there was a big black rubber stamp on the inside label that said "REJECT" I'd back away and wait for a good one.

If labeling didn't matter, we could take out our pocket knives and pry the 'Gibson' pearl right out of the headstock. It would still play and sound as good.

I just hope they don't stamp them as such. I mean, who cares if it leaves the factory with a ding or scratch, as long as the buyer knows it up front and gets a deal? But there is a stigma attached to buying one from the 60s or 70s with a '2' on the headstock. Any evidence of it being flawless from the factory is LONG gone, even though none of them leave flawless anyway! But it can affect the resale years down the road.

Exactly %100 correct.

I agree completely.

The defects are likely hard enough to spot out of the showroom let alone 20 years down the road.

It's also why I would not hesitate to buy one that has been stamped because I am aware of that.

Unfortunately though the vast majority think that "deal" should last the life of the instrument.

So yes,, please don't stamp the damn things.

If you must, hide it in the serial number. But don't put the big "S",, or even worse the big "SECOND" on it.

That was the biggest blem of them all.

Exactly %100 correct.

I agree completely.

The defects are likely hard enough to spot out of the showroom let alone 20 years down the road.

It's also why I would not hesitate to buy one that has been stamped because I am aware of that.

Unfortunately though the vast majority think that "deal" should last the life of the instrument.

So yes,, please don't stamp the damn things.

If you must, hide it in the serial number. But don't put the big "S",, or even worse the big "SECOND" on it.

That was the biggest blem of them all.

I also dont have a problem with a "blem" but dont think they need to stamp the head stock with it. I heard that Gibson does not keep a record of serial numbers of guitars that are stamped with blem on the head stock. They could very easily include a B" at the end of any guitars that are released due to imperfections, and the guitars could be traced to make sure who ever buys it, is aware that it was sold as a blem. Case in point, I know of a site where I have purchased two new Epiphone guitars sold as blems. One is the Humming bird that had a very small blemish in the finish to which I repaired it in less than 3 hours. I only paid $72.00 for the Humming bird. The other is the Epiphone PR5 which I paid only $74.00, it too had a very small blemish in the finish. If some one did not know of the defects from the factory, they would assume they were brand new from the factory. Only 1 of the guitars had the word "second" stamped on the head stock.But if they were identified in the serial number as blemished guitars, then they could not be sold as new factory fresh guitars.

I doubt it too, if Gibson does not stamp a guitar as second then somebody will sell it as a normal production item, if not the dealer then one of the subsequent owners.

Sure, the factory blemishes on a 30 year old guitar do not matter and should not affect the resale value but then again that guitar was cheaper to begin with.

I heard that Gibson does not keep a record of serial numbers of guitars that are stamped with blem on the head stock. They could very easily include a B" at the end of any guitars that are released due to imperfections, and the guitars could be traced to make sure who ever buys it, is aware that it was sold as a blem.

Not only do they not keep a record of it, they simply just don't sell 'blems' or 'seconds' or anything of the kind.

When Henry took over that was one of his things. His claim was that any seconds were to be destroyed and not sold as they

did not live up to the expected quality of a Gibson. The Norlin's had seconds. None of Henry's Gibsons have seconds.

Now it seems Henry's seconds slip out the door and you hear more QC complaints.

And by QC I'm not talking dings. It could be something as simple as the covers on the back not routed to the proper depth and the plate

not sitting flush with the body of the guitar. Who cares? I'll take that one thank you very much.

Sell the blems,,, bring em on!!

Archived