Gibson Brands Forums

My favorite guitar

bram99

Hard and almost impossible, but I think it'll be the 2012 Hummingbird purchased in April last year.

Especially after 'reinstalling'* an extra line of plast-duct tape under the E-B-G half of the saddle - yes, you heard me - which recreated a smokey quality to the nectarness that takes it all home for me.

The idea was originally tried out in May, but was almost forgotten after I carved/sanded a new bone saddle during mid-summer.

After that I first thought the new material had stolen the dusty flavor, next I blamed it on the fresh strings and waited till they faded.

Only this morning I got into the idea of reintroducing the second layer of tape and YES - believe it or not, it's great and kind of glues the overall voice together. I understand if this sounds highly subjective and slightly weird, but IT WORKS !

Apart from that, I guess it can be seen as a tribute to EA's plast = glaze philosophy. My pins from now on are all bone though. . .

Ready on the couch ~ The2012Bird-Maj2013it.jpg

Hyeah J-1854Me - that 185 is gooood looking.

If I had to get rid of all but one I would keep this one.

I've had the fretboard planed and refretted since this picture.

I've had this guitar over 50 years.

I added my name because all my guitar heroes on TV had their names on theirs.

Looks like I was adding markers like Chet but missed the ninth fret.

kayguitar.jpg

Sorry. Hit the wrong button ..... at least I guess I did so.

This is my favorite today. 2013 Taylor 810. Yesterday it was my 2012 Martin HD-28. Still looking for my Cheryl Crow Country Western, maybe a 2014 model.

Taylor710101413010_zps9427151c.jpg

MartinHD28081413018_zpsca0c986b.jpg

A recap, to date: about 10 slope Js (pretty much an even split between new/vintage--flolks here love their Banners); 4 sq. shoulders (2 HB, SW, J60), 3 J185s (a surprise, and then again, not), 2 J200s, 1 LG2, 1 L00 ('cause they deserve to be represented and BK likes his ad we like his recordings on it), 1 Martin, 1 Natil, and a Taylor. No votes but worty of mention: J35/OJ.

A recap, to date: about 10 slope Js (pretty much an even split between new/vintage--flolks here love their Banners); 4 sq. shoulders (2 HB, SW, J60), 3 J185s (a surprise, and then again, not), 2 J200s, 1 LG2, 1 L00 ('cause they deserve to be represented and BK likes his ad we like his recordings on it), 1 Martin, 1 Natil, and a Taylor. No votes but worty of mention: J35/OJ.

And as usual - only hidden love for Dove. .

• 1 month later...

If I may make a point about playing geometries - a big thing for me regardless of type of guitar.

I have been really involved in martial arts for something like 56 years. One can do incredible things with one's body without damage if certain criteria are met - and that's a matter of maintaining proper geometry of various body parts and maintaining a certain bit of symmetry. We're not talking fighting of any sort, or the stage versions, but rather the old, old concepts that have worked for health long term and personal defense if necessary.

We musicians have a bad, IMHO, tendency to ignore the physical geometry of playing, and then complain about wrists, back, shoulders, etc.

It seems to me that we've a tendency as guitar players to think in terms of what instrument we believe has the sound we want, and that if we manage to get the technique to play the way we wish, then to just have at it.

That's to me the really wrong way to approach playing for the long run - and my bod generally hasn't had problems with playing largely, I believe, because I began playing guitar a half dozen years after I'd already gotten into the concept of "natural" physical geometries for efficiency and internal safety.

Each of us has a different geometry. For my size, I have quite relatively short arms. When I was in Asia and getting tailored shirts for example they were roughly a "medium" man's shirt size with about two sizes (one inch) bigger neck and the equivalent of a 30-inch sleeve that's not even made on factory shirts.

What that means is that my geometry in guitar playing will be far different from the 6-3 guy with a 36-inch sleeve length. Or the more corpulent torso. I think it also helps to explain my preference for certain types of guitars that make performance with appropriate geometry easier.

But if we look at "old" pickers, I think we'll see variations of what classical pickers have done for centuries and what early standup pickers also have done. The guitar is relatively high on the torso, and held at an angle so the neck angles upward; the left arm fairly naturally extended and the playing hand at somewhere around belly button level.

Look at vids of Segovia, BB King, Doc Watson, Joe Pass... and you'll see that regardless of very different guitars and playing concepts, and even more different physical geometries, each of these longtime pickers have their bodies and instruments set in a way that there is the least pressure on spine and joints - and especially that the spine and joints aren't pulled into positions where one's own muscles are grinding those joints into long-term damage.

m

Hey Rich G. I like the guitar, the touch and the tunes!

Steve

Thanks Steve. I have DR Rare 12's on it now and I think I like the sound. It seems to have more overtones or something than the strings it had on it. I can't remember if I've tried others on this or if this was the first change. When I bought this guitar I needed something with a pick up and I went to try out a J45 Pure Voice. This SCSJ blew that one away but of course, no pick up. So I ended up putting a pickup in my AJ.

The guys at Russo Music in NJ raved about the first one they had that lasted about two days in the store that I showed up there the same day the second one did!

I learned to play in the sixties in college when I should have been studying. My buddy at the time was and still is a super guitar player and he was into doing all those tunes. I remember him picking "Columbia Gem of the Ocean". Toby Walker does a killer version of Stars and Stripes, the whole thing, not just the little piece I know.

Rich

Archived