Gibson Brands Forums

Which Amp suits an SG best?

stingraynz

Vox AC15 would be a really cool amp to go with your new SG, but might be a little loud for house use at times. If it was me, I'd do some searching for a vintage silver face Fender Champ or Vibro Champ, or a vintage Gibson GA-5. Really cool rock sounds from those little 5 watters, and you can find them for around $300 - $400 or so (sometimes less if you really search). Some new low wattage amps to check out would be a Vox AC4TV (I have this amp, it rules with an overdrive, or cranked at 1/4 watt), Fender Champion, or a VHT Special 6. -These are all pretty affordable tube amps.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe it or not, I use my Fender Mustang I that I paid $60 for on Craigslist, more than my $500 tweed blues junior.

Mostly it's because I live in an apartment, and I really cant crank the blues junior, and tube amps have to be turned up to sound their best.

I don't have very many pedals, the Mustang has pretty much all the effects I need, I just have a wah to go with it, and thats it.

The stock presets are average, but you can download or create custom ones that will give you a great blackface twin sound, jcm800, vox.

Checkout the VHT Special 6 Ultra. A great home amp. Hand wired all tube. Has many features. Clean/crunch channel, OD channel, loop, varible watt control. You can change/switch power tubes without any fuss, comes with a 6V6 but you can put in EL34 or 6L6 and even a EL84. Good price too.

I just picked up a Fender Excelsior Pro. This is the one with the up-graded 15" Eminence Legend speaker. SA is blowing them out at $199. The original brown model didn't have a very good speaker but the Pro sounds pretty good. 13 watts all tube. My 2011 Natural Burst SG Sound great.

I would check out the 5 watt varieties now being offered by most makers of tube amps for home use. I have an Orange Dual Terror and at 7 1/2 watts it can get real loud for home use and 15 watts no way I can crank it up at home and not get my ears ringing so bad it almost hurts and irritates my neighbor too. The 30 Watt mode just needs to be for flat out stage or gigging. I am just running thru an Orange 1 x 12 ext. Cab. its even louder thru my 2 x 12 cab. LOL

Mustang III.. (or if you want to piss off your neighbors get a mustang IV..)

I have three great tube amps (marshall, fender and a gibson goldtone,, they are the bomb..),, but I also have two mustang combos.. I love em to death..

I think the Mustang III does pretty darn good in the volume department too! I came so close to getting the IV but since I'm not in a band

I thought it might have been overkill. Would have been awesome too I'm sure.

Either way- I'm shocked at what this amp provides. The variety of sounds it just unbelievable. I really think some of the presets, with some tweaking, sounds

just like my high school buddy's 50W Tube Amp with his 4 speaker stack.... and I remember this about 30 years after the fact. That old Marshall sound was so memorable.

Just a great all around amp. Can't go wrong IMO.

While I don't have a true Gibson SG, I do have a Vintage (brand) VS6, (SG copy) while it is an import and an economy choice vs Gibson, it has some impressive hardware. Starting with the Wilkinson humbuckers as Trevor Wilkinson was a personal friend and disciple of Seth Lover; the father of the PAF. (as was Seymour Duncan) They were both astute students of Seth Lover's work! The bridge pickup on the VS6 is an unpotted and slightly hot version of the PAF, and while such an item might be a bit of a tightrope walk with tube amp overdrive, it manages the gain channel of my solid-state Peavey Audition 110 TransTube amp very well... It actually sounds phenomenal thru that solid-state amp and it's certainly not a high dollar boutique amp by any stretch of the imagination...

I suspect most Peavey solid-state combos would do right fine by such a guitar...

Having said that, I have no idea about the spec of the pickups in your guitar or if they are based off of a similar spec or not. Most often I've seen the pickup combo of a 490R neck & 498T bridge pickup in a majority of contemporary SG's...

That combination of pickups are phenomenal sounding thru tube amps! The 490R is my favorite neck position pickup hands-down. The 498T is a bit hotter for leads and getting some serious rock scream. The 490R is an Alnico-2 magnet pickup while the 498T is an Alnico-5 magnet pickup for some hotter output...

If these are indeed what is found in your SG then I would be courting tube amps to get the sweet tone out of those pickups...

But the 498T is hot enough to stand on its own with solid-state amps just fine too...

If that is the pickup combo in your SG, I'd definitely be thinkin' tubes...

You may just want to take that axe and try out as many amps in your price range as you can and see how you like them for the tone/sound that you like/that you are looking for...

Interesting that you mention the pickups. I have the 2013 model which comes with the 57 classics which I love the look of, just havent heard them sing yet!

I am still hunting for a second hand Fender Superchamp X2. I am now considering a VOX tube small practice amp but im not sure I can get the same versality when comparing the x2. I saw an x2 yesterday but missed out as I thought it was a touch overpriced. Now I cant find a second hand one anywhere. haha!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

I have a 2013 Sg natural burst and Im loving it! It is time to get a new amp!

Any recommendations for which amps suit the SG the best?

Solid state combos please! practice amp for the man cave.

Im not about to drop a whole lot of coin but im happy for tube recommendations!

Thanks folks!

My son and I are really just getting started and answering similar questions.

We started with a Fender Mustang II and a Mustang III.

Here is the Mustang II. Straightforward and sounds fairly good.

q3LxUac.jpg?1

If you go that route......spend a bit more and get the Mustang III. The controls are a breeze to understand....no small labels and multicolored lights to keep dialing around for (three versions of each preset).

Mustang III

QtRvWV6.jpg?1

Presets are really handy on this thing....dial up to 100 different ones (or add your own if you want with the Fender Fuse software).

T1pRaiK.jpg?1

I also bought him a Roland Micro-Cube for when he goes to his buddy's house or wants to play if we go on trips.

jVseN4j.jpg?1

BndXwBd.jpg?1

This little amp is a piece of cake to use and offers a way to get the tone you want very swiftly. It didn't break the bank, either. If I could go back and do it all over again......I may have bought him the 40w for his room and this one for a portable amp and skipped on the Mustangs.

The Mustangs have been good amps, don't get me wrong.....but he likes the controls and ease of use of the Roland Cube.

I recently had strong desires to get a tube amp for my use. I bought a Peavey Classic 30 and am very, very happy with it. I wish they made a 5w model, though. This sucker gets loud really quick. I keep the volume at 1 when practicing. Great sounding amp and it looks like a million bucks, too. My wife even didn't mind me leaving it out in the den.

Q6vgxAX.jpg?1

I think what I"m going to do is sell my Mustangs to a couple of buddies and get my son the larger Roland Cube for his room and then go from there.

• 3 weeks later...

Change of plans, here. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My son and I are both going nuts over this Peavey Classic 30.

He's badly wanting a tube amp now, too.

I fear that his Mustang III may be going on ebay and a Orange Micro Terror coming his way soon for his bedroom. I tried one in a store recently and was very pleased with it.

It is doubtful that I ever spend another minute on anything solid state.

My practice amp is a Marshall JVM1h, a 1 watt tube amp with a low power setting that can drop it down to .1 watt. My SG sounds great through it and I can crank that amp in the middle of the night without waking the family upstairs if I'm on the low power setting. Mine is head so I can pick whichever cabinet I want ( I have 1x12 and 4x12 options at home). I don't like tiny combos because they sound......tiny ;)

The JVM1 was a bit pricey though, a lower cost alternative to consider would be the Blackstar HT1.

I know you said solid state but the Fender Super Champ X2 is an awesome little amp! I have both the head and the combo and they're both great.

I have a Super Champ XD (looks like Fender doesn't make anymore??) - it's a smaller version of the X2 combo amp - great with my '98 SG Standard!! Small, affordable, and sounds awesome!

I bought a Fender Custom 68 Twin Reverb last month and love it.A loud drummer is no problem with this amp,and you can play clean tones at insane volumes with no breakup.I don't turn it up past 3 most of the time and my SG screams................

I second the Blackstar HT-1 (or HT-5) recommendation for a practice amp. It is one of the few tube amps you can use with headphones. I have an HT-1RH with an HTV-112 cab. It sounds awesome with the cab and my wife (and the neighbours) like how it sounds with the headphones. It sounds great with my SGJ on clean and even better on the drive channel. It takes pedals well. It replaced a Line 6 and a Vox. Both of them are now on Craig's List. I found the modelling amps were OK but was totally amazed by the sound of the Blackstar. I have a Fender MIM strat that I was thinking of selling because I couldn't get a good tone. It is now my favourite guitar with the Blackstar. The SGJ was nice with the Line 6 and the Vox but it is unbelievable with the Blackstar. It's like I traded in my whole guitar collection for upgraded models.

When I bought my SG Special (kind of an impulse buy) I was playing it through a VHT Lead 20. Killer combination, and probably one of the reasons I bought the guitar. At home I play through an Egnater Rebel 30 1x12 combo, with the tube blend pushed all the way to the EL84s. It's perfectly matched to my other guitars, but does not do the SG justice in my opinion.

Actually, any Good/Great "Tube" amp, with the SG will get you into "Tone Heaven,"

as most of it is knowing how to set them, and how to actually Play! There's a lot,

to that old saying "The Tone is in the fingers!" Beyond that, it's a matter of

personal preference, to a particular amp's tone. "British" (Vox, Marshall, Orange,

Hi Watt), "American" (Fender, early Mesa, etc.) or, a combination, as some amps have,

or claim to have, anyway. Try a bunch out, and see what YOU like. It's really the

only way...IMHO, as always.

CB

Technically, there's no amp anybody can recommend that would suit an SG or any guitar best because that's a personal preference thing. I can recommend amps to you and you may not like them and you could recommend amps to me and I may not like them. It's all about what you like best and what sounds good to your ear. My recommendation is tube for sure. However, I do have a 20 watt Roland Cube that's my practice/bedroom amp. For solid state, those are good amps. For tube, I HIGHLY recommend the Marshall 1 watt amps. Those things kick so much butt and sound phenomenal. One of my local music store has a few in and I played through a JCM 2000 and a JVM 1 watt sometime last year and I asked the owner how many watts they were and when he told me 1 watt, my jaw about hit the floor. Blackstar makes a 1 watt, too, but I haven't tried their 1 watt(s), yet. Trust me, don't let the 1 watt fool you. But, again, like I said, it all depends on what you like best.

Stone me if you have tried this combo and didn't like:

For any and all Gibsons (specially the modified ones, with better humbuckers/electrics):

Fender Hotrod DeVille 4x10pol.

With the 'more overdrive' on (no green light, only red lights!), this one was the ideal one, I have only used

on the most special gigs at most, because I already had right to a Peavey/Crate stack, that would work as well,

but not quite the same.

What I have been useing nowadays, for my guitars is my transistorized bass amp, Orange, 25watts RMS, I bought it

along with my Epiphone "EB3-L", because it was a perfect match of sound, and my guitars do sound amazing on it just

as well, I did try the guitar model, and as to be honest, the bass amplifier has the guts, the guitar has a little bit

of reverb or maybe some distortion, but it was weak. 'Lightwheight', easy to carry, too orange to be stolen, I'm good

with it, until I be able to get another Fender back again, for my 6 strings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

I have a 2013 Sg natural burst and Im loving it! It is time to get a new amp!

Any recommendations for which amps suit the SG the best?

Solid state combos please! practice amp for the man cave.

Im not about to drop a whole lot of coin but im happy for tube recommendations!

Thanks folks!

Archived