Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone got a Rickenbacker 620 or 660?

Dub-T-123

Now I'm trying to decide if I should just trade my Tele in on this to lessen the blow to my wallet. Frankly it plays way better, looks cooler, and sounds like what I wish my Tele sounded like. Still love the Tele, but dunno if I'd actually miss it when I take the Ric home

10 yrs from now the blow on your wallet will be but a lost memory.

But you would still have your tele... ;)

10 yrs from now the blow on your wallet will be but a lost memory.

But you would still have your tele... ;)

This is true

If the Rick is brattier than your Tele, no harm in letting the Tele go. There are a lot of them out there so you could always get another one.

This is also true.

I'll probably keep the Tele, but would trade it for this Ric

"Blend" knob:

"Many Rickenbacker guitars come with a fifth control knob providing extra tone adjustment capabilities. Using this control to adjust the volume of the bass pickup in relation to a pre-selected treble pickup lead volume setting, you can set it at the tone you will use more often. Or it can function as a bass/treble equalization control.

To use the fifth knob as a bass pickup volume equalizer, first place both volume and both tone controls on the instrument at their maximum clockwise positions. Then, move the pickup selector to the treble position and set the amplifier to the desired lead sound. Now, switch the pickup selector to the bass pick up. The fifth tone knob can now be adjusted in order to bring the rhythm sound to a volume compatible with the already selected lead sound volume.

To use the fifth knob in a set position, first place both volume controls and both tone controls on the instrument at their maximum clockwise positions, and move the pickup selector to the center position. Now adjust the amplifier, by setting the gain controls at the desired volume and the bass and the treble controls at their maximum positions. Finally, adjust the fine tone selection knob on the instrument until the tone which will be used most frequently is reached, and leave it in that position. After the small knob has been set, the pickup selector may be moved down for maximum treble or up for maximum bass. The variable volume and tone controls on either the amplifier or the instrument can now be moved to the desired volume and tone settings.

To use the fifth knob as an equalization control, first place both volume controls and the treble tone control on the instrument at their maximum clockwise positions, and move the pickup selector to the center position. Move the bass tone control on the instrument to its maximum counter-clockwise positions, and set the volume and tone controls on the amplifier to their desired positions. Now, with the instrument's treble up full and the bass at its minimum, the fine tone selection knob can be used as a tone equalizer, moving the instrument through the entire tonal range without adjusting the amplifier"

Owner's Manual

CB

Thanks everybody!

That explanation of the blend control will be helpful to me. I haven't figured out how the knobs work, but it sounds so great you can just turn them all up and it sounds sweet

rct - I felt the same way. Can't wait to take this home. It kicks *** in every way

Hi. I have a 2005 Rick 620 Firelgo. This is an amazing guitar! I bought it off of EBay in 2007 (Ricks are pretty rare in North Carolina. Rarely see one in any music stores around here.) I love the way it feels when you strap it on & I always get compliments, not only on the look but also the sound I get from it. That extra tone knob is a great plus to the Rick tone. The slim body just feels like it hugs you when you play. You WILL fall in love with your Rick!

Cool pic! I have always liked the natural finish & the checkerboard binding is a plus as well. Your 660 is a step up from my 620. Beautiful guitar!

I also play a 1974 Rick 4001 bass Fireglo that I bought used in 1975. Since then, the frets have had to be redone twice, but it's still rockin'! I guarantee you that your Rick will last you a lifetime...and then some! ...Congrats!

post-63978-007487100 1395626598_thumb.jpg

Hokay, I went to the shop to make another payment and snapped a picture

4710DE5A-EB29-46A8-BEED-F32C1EA4FC41_zpsaiqzgeks.jpg

Alright! Great looking Mapleglo Axe. I backed a lead player in 1969-1970, who played a Ric 620 in Jetglo. He played it through a Fender Twin Reverb.

I just put a 660 on layaway yesterday and I need to feed my obsession while I wait to pay it off.

I didn't really plan on buying when I went to the shop, but this 660 felt like the one for me and I couldn't let it go. The guitar sounds amazing too. The pickups sound real clear with something extra nice about them? Dunno what it is, but I'm in love

Well done Dub. I have a 360-6 and a 360C63-12 aside from my Gibs they are among my favs.

Thanks all!

Brytam - excellent combo! Ever seen the guitar version of the 4001? That's a pretty cool guitar too

Yes. That was originally what I had hoped for, the body & headstock with the wave like the 4001 bass. That is the model 481, made in the 70's. I have seen a couple on EBay in the past, but they are high priced, somewhat rare I guess these days. Thanks.

post-63978-058495700 1395793931_thumb.jpg

Archived