Gibson Brands Forums

New build - further photo update!

Lefty Guy

I am having a short scale slope dreadnought made for me by Ken Miller, whose wonderful guitars have impressed me every year at Kaufman Kamp (where he's camp "doctor"). His wife Virginia does stunning inlay work & I thought I'd share with you guys a photo I just received of the inlay that she has crafted for my peghead. The design is based on a Pisces zodiac symbol I liked & looks just perfct to me. I'll post more pics of the build as I get them.

GuyHillinlay002_zps9e1159a4.jpg

I like inlay on a guitar. Are you going to have it in any other places on the guitar? More pics as the build progresses will be nice. Looking-forward to seeing them....BTW, approx. how long to get the guitar built?

I ordered it last summer & Ken started work on it in January. I will collec ther in June.

And this is on the Gibson acoustic forum because....? ;)

Its a slope. Custom ordered by a guy who loves Gibsons. I'm interested to see how it turns out. Not a whole pile of lefties out there - seems even most lefty Gibsons come special ordered.

I'm thinking since he's been a member here for the last 7 years, friendships are made and he may want to share his excitement of his new build with them. I've only been a member here for a very short time and I can see that the members here are a close knit of great people with a lot of knowledge willing to share.

I've only been on this forum a short time compared to most and find most of the regulars are very open minded and knowledgeable about different guitar builders and just appreciate well made guitars whether it be Gibson or whatever.

I have quite a few different brands and currently have 4 customs being built from four different builders.

I enjoy seeing what others are doing when having specials made.

Unfortunately some of the pettiness from the powers that be or complaints from others seem to have taken the life out of the forum.

I miss JT and lately it seems someone is attacking the performances some of the regulars liked posting here because this is the group they socialize with. I really like them too.

Sunday mornings were special seeing what Buc, Anne or Sal were going to put out there. I miss that too.

I hope Lefty can keep us updated

Basically I'm a big Gibson fan (I own 2 of them, SJ & Hummingbird, & have long since traded my Taylor/Martin experiments) but I know Ken Miller makes awesome guitars & wanted his take on the classic Gibson short scale "slope" design. As some others have also pointed out, its not a crime to discuss other brands/makers on here & I think as "cyber" friends isn't it natural to want to share exciting projects with like minded peeps?

Because Lefty Guy plays and loves Gibsons, and is a regular contributor to the conversations here, and has been for a long time. Like many of us, he has guitars other than Gibsons, and most of us enjoy hearing about them.

It's not at all unusual for us to compare design, construction, and tonal differences between different types of guitars, including different brands.

Be patient. There's a lot to learn. It's a big, wide world out there.......

Basically I'm a big Gibson fan (I own 2 of them, SJ & Hummingbird, & have long since traded my Taylor/Martin experiments) but I know Ken Miller makes awesome guitars & wanted his take on the classic Gibson short scale "slope" design. As some others have also pointed out, its not a crime to discuss other brands/makers on here & I think as "cyber" friends isn't it natural to want to share exciting projects with like minded peeps?

Lefty, you don't really have to explain yourself to anyone on this forum..It seems like a lot of folks are happy for your happiness in getting this new guitar. I know that lefties don't have the freedom of choice that righties have and I understand your joy at having one built to your specs…keep the progress pics coming!!

Its a slope. Custom ordered by a guy who loves Gibsons. I'm interested to see how it turns out. Not a whole pile of lefties out there - seems even most lefty Gibsons come special ordered.

Because Gibson freaks appreciate and love guitars with other monikers on the headstock. Eye candy is always appreciated!

Lefty, you don't really have to explain yourself to anyone on this forum..It seems like a lot of folks are happy for your happiness in getting this new guitar. I know that lefties don't have the freedom of choice that righties have and I understand your joy at having one built to your specs…keep the progress pics coming!!

Thank you ALL for your kind words, this is the best guitar forum out there! I'm awaiting more pictures & will surely post them once I receive them.

Thank you ALL for your kind words, this is the best guitar forum out there! I'm awaiting more pictures & will surely post them once I receive them.

I can't believe you play in a group with all left-handed players. Was that coincidence, or did you find a bunch of lefty's and teach them to play?

I can't believe you play in a group with all left-handed players. Was that coincidence, or did you find a bunch of lefty's and teach them to play?

e

Well, sadly I've never "been" in any band in the true sense of the word, although I did get together with a couple of other lefties at Kaufman Kmap last year & play a song at open mic.

leftyguys4_zpsc78ca7ac.jpg

Archived