Gibson Brands Forums

Why country music sucks.

Searcy

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Modern Country music has sacrificed the true "heart" of Country Music for the greed of money, in most cases. I'm an old Rocker that learned to enjoy Country back in the 70's, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Hank Sr., Ray Price, Eddy Arnold to name a few, all the while listening to Deep Purple, CSN and CSNY, Beatles, Black Sabbath, CCR (they were kind of country to me back then) and on and on. Those days are gone for me, I am still an old Rocker, but now lean more and more into Blue Grass because of the music. I don't really enjoy the High, Whiny sound of some of the singing, but I really enjoy the instruments used. Nickel Creek, Alison Krauss and Union Station, Old Crow Medicine Show, they have replaced or supplemented my old Country boys and girls. Emmy Lou is still one of the best harmonizers, no matter who she is singing with. I ramble. I am going back to my Pandora Neil Young station. [biggrin]

Yep, there's good stuff in every genre, but other than some of the better country musicians already cited, I couldn't care less for most of the stupid lyrics in modern country, including Brad Paisley's.

This is stuff I grew up with that, in my mind, represents some of the best of country (and western).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6yIiQUgK3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUgZbWahymE

It's not about "the music" anymore...it's about making a fast buck! A LOT of fast bucks!

Same thing, in the "Pop" music field! I couldn't possibly tell you, which is worse! However,

there is Good/Great "Country" music, but you won't find it, on commercial "Country radio"

or CMT, for the most part. At least, IMHO. [tongue][cursing]

CB

Yes, that!

There's alot of industry stuff that's rather ugly... The big country stars are the ones that do songs as written and produced for them. Are the ones sponsored by beer or booze makers and do whatever they're told to do by the industry money men and have the shows orchestrated and produced for them like the CMT country music awards etc.

Personally, I'll dig to find

playing for Marty Stuart's Fabulous Superlatives from The Grand Ol Opry or some such act that has more musicianship and talen it it's little finger than you'll find on the whole show of The CMT Country Music awards!

Do any of us imagine that Johnny Cash would even be looked-at twice now if he were a young rising talent? He'd be shunned out of the business and ignored by the industry money men...

Some of these country pickers; like

, can simply stride past most guitar players out there without breakin' a sweat! But you really don't get to know them because the way the industry is geared, it's more like American Idol than it is Nashville these days! God forbid there's a little more Memphis in them too...

I think the crossover guys like

get overlooked too...
crossed into pop and rock and

I don't really like the mainstream country music these days. I do like the styles that evolved from traditional music. I like Allison Krause and the stuff that has those kinds of chord progressions. I love western swing, like the Time Jumpers. I like Robinella - she's probably not country but more traditional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRU8CjjE054

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSQw2uhXong

Well, back on track...somewhat, anyway...WHO Do you all like, love, in "Country Music,"

these days, or in the past?

CB

newer artist : Jamey Johnson

always liked Travis tritt.

Cash, Jennings, Buck Owens, Hank Snow, George Jones ... all the real old stuff.

And, when you go to a venue that DOES still hire bands (fewer and farther between),

they hire 4-6 bands a night, for 1/2 hour-45 minutes each, and pay "Squat!" A lot

of those bands do it just for the "exposure!" The venues make out like a bandit, as their

band "overhead" is greatly reduced, they still have varied "live" entertainment, and sell more

booze, that way.

In some places, it actually difficult to find a venue that has only 1 band, the whole night.

Where I live, you can go months, without ANY "live music," at all! The one place in town

that USED to hire bands (at least once a month) has gone "Karaoke!" Several other's in the

area, have done likewise. So... [cursing][crying]

CB

I really dont like Mainstream anything anymore. Pop, Rock, Country, Metal, Blues, all Genre seems to really suck. It seems that all the music thats really good is coming from older established players. New groups that the media presents to us sound like crap. There has only been a few bands in my genre in the last two decades that are floating in a sea of swill that even warranted attention. Its the same with all genre. I see the problem right here in my own playing circuit. Everybody has a band in they're basement these days, every house on your block has a band in it. Every crap band that these guys build wants they're 15 mins in the spotlight. As a result good bands cant find gigs because there are to many bands. It takes you forever to find a new band even worth backing and supporting by buying their albums t shirts and tickets.

i completely agree. the music and bands that "mainstream" hails and babbles about, usually annoy me. if it's "in" , count me out. i like and appreciate all genre's of music, if its good, its good... 2 bands that i've really taken to in the last few years are Drive by Truckers, and Blackberry Smoke. Especilly Blackberry Smoke. I love them. and they're country enough that my wife even likes to listen to them. more times than not, what i listen to seems to drive her crazy lol.

Around here - East Tennessee - there's a gigantic market for lousy, mainstream, squeaky voiced, formula style country. It's like pop music for country listeners. It's playing in the background everywhere. After a while you don't even hear it anymore. My wife'll be like "Did you HEAR that garbage?" I'll be like "No, what?" [mellow]

Around here - East Tennessee - there's a gigantic market for lousy, mainstream, squeaky voiced, formula style country. It's like pop music for country listeners. It's playing in the background everywhere. After a while you don't even hear it anymore. My wife'll be like "Did you HEAR that garbage?" I'll be like "No, what?" [mellow]

and thats it BBD, "formula". its like rolling out a pile of crap, and taking a cookie cutter to it.

snip:

But im not learning any new country. or jimmy buffet, or that damn brown eyed girl ... sorry to be negative.

You DON'T like Van the Man's version of "Brown Eyed Girl" for sure???? [confused]

Didn't like a lot of his stuff but that one I love the guitar work and story line.

Aster

You DON'T like Van the Man's version of "Brown Eyed Girl" for sure???? [confused]

Didn't like a lot of his stuff but that one I love the guitar work and story line.

Aster

i actually am a fan of Van Morrison. and i enjoy hearing him do it. the world just doesnt need me to do it, lol

I was never a country fan. How ever growing up and I'm probably dating myself. I did like the old cowboys such as Roy Rogers and Gene Autry. They sang about this great country of ours and other things. Not about sex, drugs and trucks. And they also did not do that whiney voice one of the guys eluded to. Now and this just blows me away. My wife who grew up a rocking & roll babe is now a country fan. For the life of me I just don't get it. I will say that she doesn't go in for the whiney stuff thank God. But it's just disappointing that she has switched.

i actually am a fan of Van Morrison. and i enjoy hearing him do it. the world just doesnt need me to do it, lol

I have always heard that Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. When I play a song that I really love or respect it does cause me tremendous "pause" for my POOR IMITATION ability and that JUST CAN'T BE FLATTERY!! :rolleyes: So I hear you loud & clear. Just check'n on B.E.G. as that's one I'd like to nail!! NOT THE BROWN EYED GIRL, The song riffs, the song!!! Well, maybe the B.E.G. too [biggrin]

Aster

I was never a country fan. How ever growing up and I'm probably dating myself. I did like the old cowboys such as Roy Rogers and Gene Autry. They sang about this great country of ours and other things. Not about sex, drugs and trucks. And they also did not do that whiney voice one of the guys eluded to. Now and this just blows me away. My wife who grew up a rocking & roll babe is now a country fan. For the life of me I just don't get it. I will say that she doesn't go in for the whiney stuff thank God. But it's just disappointing that she has switched.

Me too!! [thumbup] I love to watch the old Roy Rogers & Gene Autry movies to hear the great songs. Really liked Smiley "Frog" Burnette songs in the old Gene A. movies too. Son's of the Pioneers were great crooners and the Cowboy music was tops. I ran across a CD in the Bill Cody museum several years back that was just filled with 40's war time Cowboy music with "squeeze boxes" and everything. Have to say, one of my favorite things to listen & sing to for a happy feeling.

Aster

I have always heard that Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. When I play a song that I really love or respect it does cause me tremendous "pause" for my POOR IMITATION ability and that JUST CAN'T BE FLATTERY!! :rolleyes: So I hear you loud & clear. Just check'n on B.E.G. as that's one I'd like to nail!! NOT THE BROWN EYED GIRL, The song riffs, the song!!! Well, maybe the B.E.G. too [biggrin]

Aster

lol ! and i've played it, over and over and over... its just become one of those songs i cringe when someone request it. its a "oh god, not again" moment

The same can be said for ALL music. Most has gone to crap. Producers fabricate what sells... sex, booze, bars, girls. Same thing you hear in pop and a lot of rap. In the case of modern rock and rap, just throw in hookers, drugs, sports cars or Escalades, and few murders and you are there.

They know what sells and capitalize on it. The artists... they play the game or they fall by the wayside.

NOTE: Because someone has a "Southern Accent" does not mean they are dumb. They just sound different, just like somebody from New England, UK, North Dakota, Germany, Joisey, or

Minnesota sounds different to a Southern or Mid-Westerner. Anybody that would make a comment like that seems challenged in the I.Q. department in my book.

I have been in 46 of the United States and a couple dozen countries. Accent or dialect does not determine intelligence!

I prefer blues and classic rock genres, but like some country songs. Regardless, those "dumb, shi_ty" artist you refer to have made wheelbarrows full of money... more than you or I will make playing our music.

lol ! and i've played it, over and over and over... its just become one of those songs i cringe when someone request it. its a "oh god, not again" moment

So true. My trio has decided we will only do it for $20. Seriously, if you want to hear Brown Eyed Girl, put $20 in the tip jar. We need a new PA after all! [biggrin]

Archived