Gibson Brands Forums

Tusq vs Bone - surprising experiment !

HNS

If a saddle doesn't fit perfectly, it will fall if you turn over the guitar upside down or will be difficult to take it out. If the bottom isn't perfectly straight sound volume(when plugged) will vary playing different strings. I installed a Colosi bone saddle on my SW and to me it sounds better (more sustain,volume and clarity) than Tusk playing unplugged but a little over compressed when plugged.

Question: Were these two saddles at exactly the same height ?... if not a small difference in action could cause great difference in tone.

Thanks onewilyfool, MissouriPicker and Milod. I totally agree with you !

Bone did make my SWD sound thin and jangly, for some reason

Run: yes they were the same height, I took Bob Colossi's advice, and used the original as a template for the new bone saddle. I haven't plugged it in yet, because I don't have an acoustic amp where I currently reside, but I can see what you've said about sound being compressed.

I'll be sending it to the tech next week for a good setup !

Cheers

HNS

1401720950[/url]' post='1526413']

Yep, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. We each do what we feel makes a difference for the better in our guitars. We might change something. We might leave things alone. There are many things that contribute to how good we believe a guitar sounds. The most important one is what each individual hears when they play the guitar. A thumpy or muddy bass might be the same thing to you, but different to me. What I think is bright might be mellow and warm to you. Someone's "holy grail" might just be a guitar to others. There's no right or wrong with this. It depends on what you and me like about our guitars....My opinion doesn't necessarily make me right and someone else wrong........although I think I'm right....lol [flapper] I often think that we humans enjoy and need to make things more complicated than they are...Good thread too.

Well put. That's why it's such a gas playing, comparing and arguing which one sounds ""best". Whether arguing with friends here, or with oneself trying to figure out why your Dwight Yoakam Acey Duecey J45 doesn't sound the same as Ray Wiley Hibbard's! Great thread.

• 6 years later...

I  am going back to the original tusq saddle that came in my Gibson G-45, the nut is tusq too so it makes sense to me. I have heard tusq picks up under saddle pickups better too. Thanks for the cool forum fella's. It's nice to talk equiptment with other guitar players. Peace, Michael Angelo

• Like 1

Interesting to re-read this old post that Michael Angelo resurrected.  And, Michael welcome to the forum!

Re: tusq saddles, I saw in the old posting string that in 2014, only one of my guitars had a tusq saddle.  Interestingly, since then I’ve become a lot more sold on tusq saddles than I used to be.  At least half of my guitars now have tusq saddles,  including my main Gibson, my 2006 J-45 1964 CS, as O our back in the original tusq ADJ saddle after using a replacement bone ADJ saddle for a number of years.  Tusq seems to somehow now bring out a lot more dynamics in my guitars than bone.  Either that or my ears have changed, which is possible.  But, I now like tusq material saddles better than bone.  Who’d have thunk that years ago when I was convinced traditional bone was the only way to go.  

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

I use Tusq exclusively when changing out saddles, preferring the punchy percussive tone it tends to promote.  One of my ‘70s Guilds came completely to life with the switch to Tusq, while other instruments have either improved or remained essentially unchanged - never diminished.

Yup, I’m sold on ‘em.

• 4 weeks later...

Where can I find the height of the stock saddle in my 2017 J-15?  edit: The stock saddle is currently mounted in my guitar, I just received an aftermarket saddle by mail and I am sanding it down. The replacement saddles at my local dealer were flat on top, whereas, this one is beveled on top for intonation...

Edited by Lou Theeur

Update: Well I just finished playing my guitar, didn't notice any fret buzzing after installing the new saddle. I took it down to approximately 8.85mm. Turns out the stock saddle is 11mm as I suspected. I will probably take the stock one down a little lower than this one and try it out next week. This new saddle is bone and it seems to my ear that maybe the highs stand out a slight amount more than they did with the stock tusq saddle.

Has anybody cut their saddle using a band saw with a fine tooth blade or maybe a jig saw with a fine tooth blade? Is there someplace I can find short saddles?

Edited by Lou Theeur

I've always ordered something a bit bigger than stock and sanded it down.

This is not meant to sound dickish or anything of the sort, but the answer to your question is best answered as "as high as it needs to be". In short, and way over simplified way, it's height is determined by need. Not by spec.

On 6/1/2014 at 11:34 AM, HNS said:

I originally had put a Colossi bone saddle and bridge pins in my 2005 Songwriter deluxe since I had it. That was the conventional wisdom then.

While preparing the guitar for sale in its original form, I put back the original tusq saddle and the cheap Gibson plastic bridge pins, as well as a new 9v battery. My Martin D-21 special sounded so much better, there was no comparison even when I compared them with the same set of new strings, so the SWD had to go.

Then the unexpected happened, the SWD started to sing, much more midrange, bass, bite and sustain! It sounded better and more MUSICAL than the new D-21 Special! I was flabbergasted !

Could it be that the original saddle rested better on the guitar bridge? does bone make the SWD tinny and thin? What could it be ??

Your comments are highly appreciated !

I have owned plenty of guitars that had both bone and tusq nuts and honestly, the difference is one makes your git sound a lil brighter and nother warmer.  There is no such thing as "bone is always better"   There is no "best nut" for everyone, i am firmly in the camp that each guitar is its own individual with its own unique tonal characteristics based on the many types of wood/combinations used.  I have played Tusq nut gits that sounded good and some that sounded awful and conversely, ive played some bone nut Gibsons that sounded like a dying cow when people put bone nut in these vintage gits. 

But, one person's dying cow, its anothers treasure.  With the hundreds if not thousands of wood combinations acoustics come with,  i really don't believe there is a perfect nut for all, my opinion, others are free to disagree, but i just believe certain gits need a certain thing to give them the magic, if you found yours, keep it just the way it is!      Just my2c

Ps, let us know if you decide to keep, those are great guitars!

Edited by Gibson Artist

Had the same happen with my L-130.  The bone saddle and nut were nice, but the Tusq was superior.  I know that some people consider it an "automatic" to replace Tusq to bone, but I think Gibson did it right with Tusq. That L-130 sounded mid-range perfect with the original set-up😎

I put a colossi bone saddle in my Gibson Hummingbird....HORRIBLE. It instantly sounded LOUD, unfocused, blurred. It no longer sounded like a Hummingbird..at all. I removed the Colossi bone saddle and put the original tusk saddle back in, same strings.....Wow.  ...The beautiful Hummingbird sound was back instantly. The tusk was so much better. Lesson learned.

It's worth noting that most of the comments that claim there is a definite difference in sound when comparing a bone saddle to a tusq saddle, did not specify whether they noted a difference when plugged or unplugged. Does this mean there is no difference????

Edited by Lou Theeur

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, 75 Hummingbird said:

Hello folks ,hope i can find an answer here .

I bought a used j 45 ....how can i tell if the pins are bone or Tusq ?

You just sand them a little by the root. Bone will be bone and smell like it. .