Gibson Brands Forums

Volume Preferred Settings.

MrNylon

On your 6 stringer, or bass, do you have any volume settings preference between Axe, and Amp? Of course it can be a balance of the two, but do you maybe like to set the amp at a volume level, leave at as is, then adjust the volume as you play. I set the Amp level, and adjust my Bass as i play. Don't forget to mention any pedals you may use in the settings for volume. [thumbup]

When I have a bass gig, the volume is set after the first couple tunes. Then it doesn't change. I'd rather have the leader ask me to turn up than turn down. Guitar gigs are a different story. Rhythm parts are kept so that the singer/singers can easily be heard and my solos and fills are well out in front...like a record.

Typically set my volume on the amp then go between 7-10 on my guitar for rhythm volume to solo volume. The volume is usually set at the sound check if I am at a gig but typically goes up in the first 3 songs depending on monitor level.

I call the increase in volume as the gig goes on upward volume drift and it tends to be a competition between myself and the other guitarist [scared]

The drummer only hears himself [biggrin]

Guitar on 10 all the time straight into Boss vol pedal into comp/dist (VS Route 66), chorus and delay. Then into trem pedal on top of the amp and straight to hi input. Fender red-knob Super 60 with Celestion and I'm so close to it always that I adjust the vol on the fly if necessary.

I play the same on my LP, SG and Firebird: neck pickup is the loud one. Tone up full. Volume generally 8, but can wind up to 9 or 10 for particular songs. Bridge pickup I wind the tone down to try and get parity of tone with the neck p/u, and also wind the volume right down to get a clean-ish sound. e.g. "Behind Blue Eyes" - quieter half on bridge p/u, rocky bit on neck p/u. [smile]

Solo boost with MXR boost pedal.

Everything on 12! If it's too loud, you're too Friggin' OLD! [flapper]

(Just kidding)...I generally adjust volume, and tone, as needed for the

songs, and venue=bar we're playing in. And, try to use "dynamics" accordingly.

But, admittedly, the drunker the audience gets, the louder we seem to get, as well. [biggrin]

CB

First bring the appropriate size amp for the venue. A Marshall 100W or a Fender Twin 100W in a small dive bar is just wrong. But for an outdoor festival, it's OK. The amp is there so you can hear yourself and mic'd by the sound guy for him to control in the overall mix. For most gigs (250 capacity or less) and depending on your music, a Blues Jr (or two, or DRRI) is OK. With the amp volume up, you use the power tube's sweet warm sound...much better than the preamp (gain) saturation.

For me, I set the amp volume almost max; EQ the bass, treble, mids; preamp up until it breaks up when picked hard; reverb to taste. EQ the amp to the neck pickup and use the guitar volume(3-5 setting range) to drop the level to suit. I use the bridge pickup mainly for rhythm with the tone lowered to get rid of the trebbly tone, and volume similar or less as the neck pickup.

I use the selector switch... bridge for rhythm and neck for lead (or vise versa). With this method, I find that you can easily adjust the volume quickly during a song just by controlling your guitar volume/tone. With the amp "dimed" you can always ramp it up... and the more they drink, the better I sound! [thumbup]

...but it's all subjective as to how you want to sound as a component in a band!

So many settings to mess with, so little time... [biggrin]

I confess that I generally like my guitar volumes on 10. I may reduce them as needed during a given song, but generally I can control my volume with picking dynamics and don't need to actually turn it down. I use pedals to boost leads.

As for amp volume, at home I usually only play loud if no one else is home. I have amps ranging from 1 to 22 watts so it also varies a lot depending on the amp I am using. While I might wind up the Marshall JTM1 I won't wind up the Deluxe Reverb (unless I am using an attenuator - which I generally do). Gig wise I am lately using a 1968 Fender Princeton. I like it best with the volume at 5 as it gets all kinda bluesy goodness there but will still clean up with a light attack. However, since the other guitar player in my trio plays acoustic, 5 is a little too loud on stage... Again the attenuator saves the day. I set the Princeton on 5 and just attenuate to match his stage volume - tone stays the same, volume is perfect. We mic everything so it doesn't affect my volume in the front mix.

I usually set my amp and leave it alone. I have my guitar volume at 10 unless I need to back off a little to clean up my clean sound. When I use my Grunge pedal (heavy distortion), I usually back down the bridge pup volume to 2-3 and crank it for a lead boost. When I am using natural distortion(clean channel) or boosted distortion, my guitar is always all the way up and I use my Compression/Sustain pedal for lead boost.

I guess the guys above hit some of the difficulties in an easy answer to this. Amps and guitars and venues are different.

Seriously, for what I do, mostly solo stuff one way or another, the answer is pretty much "what can be heard cleanly by an audience."

Then again, I never was a "push the tubes and catch the tone" guy even in my rock and country days in the 60s and 70s regardless of venue.

m

I use a Digitech RP-10 processor,,it has over 200 factory settings/patches,,all adjustable,,and another 200 "user buildable" patches, all stereo,a EVH 5150 Head,,Marshall 4-12 cabs,,and for smaller places a Roland cube 60 w/another fender champ amp hooked up stereo,,I set those on about 8 on the vol,,and do the rest from the vol knob on the guitars. The RP-10 stays at about 1/2 way vol,,and I leave it alone My kramer{s} have PAF's in the bridge,,and those are really sensitive as I roll the vol down from 10-9-8-7 ect,,and it takes on an almost different guitar ID as it drops,,when I need hyper lead tone,,I just grab the vol on gtr,,all way up,,and when I need to be doing rhytm sections,,I roll it down to 6-7-8 or so. Depending on the tune played.

For the most part it completely depends on the venue...

If I'm at home in my studio room I don't want to make my ears bleed, so the amp is between 2 & 3. (Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue) In smaller clubs/pubs I can't even get much higher than that either... Never gotten it over 5 yet! Probably not even over 4-1/2... (and I'm pretty sure I was told to turn down by the bar owner or show promoter at that)

I also try to avoid the volume battles between guitars too... It's a good way to get told to turn down by venue owners.

On my guitars; Gibson 4 knob configs. I play mostly thru the neck position pickup and generally am anywhere between 6 & 9 with the bridge pickup controls a little lower or a little higher depending upon sound conditions and the output signal tone I'm getting...

It can be a tightrope walk with different boost pedals etc and if you combine them sometimes the volume will shoot so far up you have to turn down to level the playing-field...

Since I don't have the luxury of monitor speakers facing me to hear the whole mix, I tend to keep my amp/rig at a volume level where I can just barely hear myself and that allows it to be properly mixed with the live band. I'll add a little punch or volume for the fills & solos where the emotional content of the song dictates such an increase,

All my guitars react differently and seem to have their own sweet spot and are all unique in the tweaking required to meet my preferences/demands. It can be a handful keeping up with switching between axes during a set or from set to set...

I have it all in my head for the most part and never write any settings down... I probably should, it would be more efficient!

It also depends upon my mood greatly. Sometimes I like alot of overdrive and that ballsy growl and other times I like rich fat clean tone, and sometimes I need more presence and kick up the treble a touch. Mostly l like subtle overdrive with just enough growl to be noticed almost peripherally with generous clean tones... Oh, and I like gobs of reverb!

I'm a reverb junkie and I like it so thick you could lie down and take a nap on it... msp_razz.gif

My Fender Blues Deluxe reissue has a fantastic Fender spring reverb and if that weren't enough I have a TC Electronics Hall Of Fame reverb pedal I switch between...

I just can't do without reverb. If I kick it off by accident I get a panic attack and feel like something is horribly wrong. I just gotta have reverb for it to be right!

Archived