Gibson Brands Forums

your opinion J35 versus j15

kelly campbell

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[smile] [smile]

By the way I noticed that you have a Wecther I was hoping to get one some day but was surprised to hear he closed up the factory/shop...I live about 40 miles from there and Sweetwater and used to enjoy trying them out. Do you like yours?

Hey Kelly, yes I love the Wechter. It has a really nice, unique tone, good volume, and the wide neck is excellent for fingerstyle. I put a K&K in it, and sounds wonderful through the band's sound system. Too bad Abe decided to shut everything down, but he was getting up there in age. These guitars seemed to be hit-and miss as far as quality control and consistency, but I got ahold of a good one at a local dealer.

Here's a sound clip.

https://soundcloud.com/ballyshannon/eleanor-plunkett-wechter-1

DC

I voted J15.

I have a J35 and I am pretty happy with this one.

Well - I had to make some changes - the plastic nut, saddle and pins are now bone.

The L.R.Baggs is gone and now there is a K&K Triniti Mini System inside.

I changed the truss rod cover too.

If in that moment I bought my J35 there was a J15 in the shop I probably would buy the J15.

Because of its sound.

Of course I would make the same changes - nut, saddle, pins, pickup, truss rod cover, but ...

Truth is that the purchase of my J35 was emotional...

If I had to concider once again now in that moment (and from now one) I would buy a J45.

Said.

I was thinking of putting bone on mine. You wouldnt have a vid of the sound with bone would you?

I did go back and got more good info..thanks I think I am leaning towards the 15 but I think I will end up changing the pickguard to the tiger stripe.

I was thinking of changing the pick guard on mine too but mine came with a really good looking one and I'm very happy but I'm going to put new tuners and a West African Hard Ivory saddle and nut and a K&K Mini

Interesting that Greg ends up calling it a campfire guitar, but most likely just being his usual facetious self. Love to watch his videos, and great playing as always. He seemed to like that J-15, which definitely sounds better than the one I played a few days ago.

DC

That's a good point about the cello. I hadn't thought of that, but there's a ring of truth to your comment. The J15 is a different kind of beast. Definitely not the rosewood or mahogany tone..Sweet guitar.

Yes, this video got me thinking about the cello tones at 9 minute 50 second time.....and I can imagine some one playing cello with the J-15

but I can also hear Jackson Brown's guitar voicing when played

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a new video of the Gibson J-15 with FMI saddle and nut

I'm not sure if there's a big improvement in sound = less mids maybe ??? what do you think

Jarvis always has such fun playing guitars! Thanks for this snip. The J-15 sounds like a "best kept secret" to me.

Here's a new video of the Gibson J-15 with FMI saddle and nut

I'm not sure if there's a big improvement in sound = less mids maybe ??? what do you think

Okay, now listen to the J-35 review. Same reviewer, probably the same equipment. You be the judge.

...starts at 4:15

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm new to this forum, but have spent quite a few years on and off at AGF.

I'm currently patiently waiting to pounce on my next nice acoustic guitar, and I think I've narrowed the brand to Gibson, and price dictates that I'm pretty much going to come in at under 2k.

I played and loved the J-15. At the time, I also played a J-35 in the store it felt a little bland and lifeless to me. Granted, it could very well have been dead strings. I just found the J-15 to be extremely punchy, yet balanced, which I liked. I've run the spectrum, owning a Taylor 810 for a long time (ended up just being too bright for me), then I went to the Martin all-hog side of things, loved the woodiness in the beginning, but I fell out of love with it. My fascination with Martin is beginning to dry up. For singer songwriter stuff I think Gibson sort of nails the right balance.

Even though I didn't like the particular J-35 I played, every demo I've heard of it, I like it a lot. I think I still lean J-15 though, and will probably pick one up soon. If I could afford a Hummingbird I'd probably do that instead, but I've got kids to feed. ;)

I say neither, but I tried both that you are considering and ended up with a J45 Standard!

You have to play both and decide for yourself. I was dead set on a J15, but everyone I played was just a bit too harsh to my ear and a bit strident. I very 'forward' sounding guitar that I thought would be great if played along with a loud band, but for the singer/songwriter is seemed a little bit too much. The J35 seems to get complaints of being a bit too thin to some. The J45 to me is the best of both worlds. Can hold it's own as a hard strummer, but also shines in intimate settings, etc. For me it's the best all-arounder.

I say neither, but I tried both that you are considering and ended up with a J45 Standard!

You have to play both and decide for yourself. I was dead set on a J15, but everyone I played was just a bit too harsh to my ear and a bit strident. I very 'forward' sounding guitar that I thought would be great if played along with a loud band, but for the singer/songwriter is seemed a little bit too much. The J35 seems to get complaints of being a bit too thin to some. The J45 to me is the best of both worlds. Can hold it's own as a hard strummer, but also shines in intimate settings, etc. For me it's the best all-arounder.

The J-45 Standard is a good sounding guitar but I like the sound of walnut of the J-15 better then the Mahogany on the J-45 Standard

I've found that trying different strings on my J-15 produces vastly different sounds, more so than any other guitar I've ever owned. Martin Retro's are interesting, Elixir Nanowebs didn't sound very good at all for the first month or two (if you no the price of those in Europe you'll understand why I didn't take them straight off)but now they sound ok. Every new set is an experiment.

Ian

Archived