Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Bored...

Marshall Paul

Not long ago when I started my goal was to play Metal, Doom, Black and Death.

Now I have opened my mind, always loved Classic Rock, Blues and Country. It´s what brought me to Metal. I mean Slow down some Pantera (to mention one) tracks

and surprise you can actualy hear the Blues influence.

I know now for sure that I won´t end playing Metal.

I still like it a lot, but Page, Blackmore, Krieger, the Young brothers and Paco de Lucia move something in me that Metal plain and simply dosn´t.

And there goes Flamenco.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sarah's noted all that down thanks mate, and given the nod especially to Flamenco! She thinks you've got taste. She thinks I'm a crude caveman who never listens to her (or something like that anyway, I dunno....wasn't really paying that much attention at the time).

[thumbup]

Back in the '60s I did a lot of Flamenco. Got to sit 15-20 feet from Carlos Montoya in concert and that really added to inclinations to learn. Then the opportunity to buy more gear through playing in rock and country bands from '65 through the '70s kinda stole that thunder.

As for differences in slang in the US and Australia...

As a language nut, it's something that has been studied by some folks and something I find interesting. Standard US/Canada and UK "English" is pretty similar except for a few specialized terms, although slang and subcultural dialects are rather different regardless. A friend now living in Brisbane is originally from Scotland (worked in Africa quite a few years when even biologists might carry firearms for personal defense) - and he's convinced and argues well that "Scottish" isn't really the same roots as "English."

I personally tend to think Australian slang is even more difficult for most other Anglophones to catch onto simply due to the greater distances in time to travel there. I can drive into Canada in a few hours; fly to the UK in far less time than to Oz.

m

That's because Scotish isn't English, it's Celt. Which itself derives it's heritage from the Norse. Yup, those very same cow immitating sackers who pioneered overseas package holidays! The very same ones who wrote the book on death, destruction, and a good pint of larger (sort of the forerunner to todays english soccer fans really). And they still possess that warm, alluring, charming quality all their forebearers possesed... evil tempers (lol). I should know (aside from the fact I'm half Wallace, half Stewart myself)... my girlfriends from Edinburgh!

Yeah, it's got the McGreggors and the McClouds scared as hell, they're circling the wagons!

But such an odd 50/50 mix though, highlander and lowlander (?).

Don't know whether I'm comming or going really.

Well, hello ladies and gentlemen, welcome one and all to tonight's gala performance of the "WTF Got You Going?" awards night, here at the beautifully appointed 'Gibson Lounge'.

Sit back and relax as tonight, the results of this referendum come census come anal probe into what got you started, what you like, what gets you as hard as a chocolate frog inquistition are posted.

Some of you where very willing participants, others not so willing, and some it was like a gestapo interigation. But results we have, and now we have a pretty good idea what this forum is made of.

There are some awards to be handed out tonight, so be ready to come foreward, and remember to please keep the acceptance speeches to under two minutes! (don't want to run into commercial time you see). OK, here goes...

The Golden Guitar Award goes to....(wait for it lad)...

'70's Classic Rock!

just by a whisker from...

The Silver Guitar Award winners...

Rock and '60's.

yes, a tie for second.

The Bronze Guitar Award winners are...

Blues and Jazz.

a nice mix there fellas, shows style.

Now, the runner-ups are...

My Compositions.

all you budding Lennon's and McCartney's out there. good to see. keep it up.

Classical and Me

get the next gong. playing classical shows class, and playing with yourself shows....err, hold on, that should read "for yourselves", sorry (who wrote these cards anyway?!).

Blues Rock, Texas Rock, Folk, Country and Metal

have a real battle going here! talk about middle of the field tussles, this, is, it! back of the field is just as congested...

'50's, Progresive Rock, BlueGrass, ;80's, the Weirdo's, and the Lunatic Fringe are still comming around the last turn, but still there...and last, but certainly not least, is...(?)...

Flamenco and Motown.

a sort of Jose Feliciano meets Marvin Gaye type thing happening there. interesting to say the least.

and I can't believe, no-one voted for Surf! where are all you budding Hank Marvins, D!ck Dales (and I still can't believe you still can't say d!ck on this site!), Gary Hoey's, Martin Cilia's and Joe Satriani's? amazing.

Well, that's who you are, what you are, what you want to be, in a nutshell guys.

Now, to the individual awards. Stick around.

Chuck...for his 8 genres, the "Fingertips like Firestone Retreads" award. And for his re-run that had more sustanence than a double beef and cheese quarter pounder.

Martin...definitely, the "Understated award".

Kelly....1 genre but straight to the point. Honourable Mention (in dispatches, of course).

EVOL......4 genre. and the "Freaking out the Squares" award. (lol).

To our resident exostentialist, Hayden,the "Heckler award" for his calls for....mariah carey(?)(wtf?)

Saturn wins the "Pink Elephant Stamp" award for neatness and composition.

L8 gets the "PETA" award (and my undying apreciation) for pulling my trick of turning up the amp and scaring the living daylights out of every animal within a 2 mile radius.

Boris gets a nod for not only adding to the tally, but giving me a good idea for the missus.

Scales, the "CSIRO" award for the most original idea for the cane toad erratication programme yet.

Jimi Mac for the history lesson (and finding himself in the process!).

Kuma for....well, for just having the best avtar on the entire website! (I love it!).

Mr. Gibson the "Bob Dylan" award for retrospective prose.

ZigZag the "Braveheart" award for just having Wallace blood in his veins (cracka we yin!). And for constructing the worlds longest continuous sentence. Longer than a Welsh train staion name.

Duane the "Sarchotic" award for taking humour to the very edge of space, where I don't know if he's just kidding, or actually serious. (Ricky Ricardo?....really?).

Cody, a big nod for his thesis.

L8 again for the half time entertainment (and for the best name dropping all evening).

Chewy for...just playing LOUD! (we'll have someone accept his award on his behalf because he can't be here himself tonight...he's in a mosh pit somewhere and we can't get him out of it!).

Milod..the "Lifetime Achievement" award simply for time in service. And for daring to use the word Anglophone.

Versatile...don't panic! I'm getting that VersatileAid Benefit Concert in the pipeline mate. We'll hold it at Wembley, it'll be bigger than Glastonbury! Trust me!

Kidblast for comming in halfway through the show, but still contributing (it's ok, I hear he got caught in traffic...he was downtown playing at a disco!).

Holmis, for just straight up tickling pink my girlfriend's funny bone with his opening line (and for giving her great ideas too..thanks mate, still owe you one).

That's it folks. Have a look at where you polled, see where you fit, very interesting. Thanks to everyone involved and Goodnight.

(signed, souvenier programmes available for sale in the lobby as you leave....don't forget to tip your hostes).

LOL! [thumbup][flapper]

Holmis for just straight up tickling pink my girlfriend's funny bone with his opening line (and giving her great ideas too..thanks mate, still owe you one).

Thanks, it´s my first award reached just sitting in my sofa, and i´m glad i could delight you´r girlfriend, this is a great place to be [thumbup]

Well, hello ladies and gentlemen, welcome one and all to tonight's gala performance of the "WTF Got You Going?" awards night, here at the beautifully appointed 'Gibson Lounge'.

Sit back and relax as tonight, the results of this referendum come census come anal probe into what got you started, what you like, what gets you as hard as a chocolate frog inquistition are posted.

Some of you where very willing participants, others not so willing, and some it was like a gestapo interigation. But results we have, and now we have a pretty good idea what this forum is made of.

There are some awards to be handed out tonight, so be ready to come foreward, and remember to please keep the acceptance speeches to under two minutes! (don't want to run into commercial time you see). OK, here goes...

The Golden Guitar Award goes to....(wait for it lad)...

'70's Classic Rock!

just by a whisker from...

The Silver Guitar Award winners...

Rock and '60's.

yes, a tie for second.

The Bronze Guitar Award winners are...

Blues and Jazz.

a nice mix there fellas, shows style.

Now, the runner-ups are...

My Compositions.

all you budding Lennon's and McCartney's out there. good to see. keep it up.

Classical and Me

get the next gong. playing classical shows class, and playing with yourself shows....err, hold on, that should read "for yourselves", sorry (who wrote these cards anyway?!).

Blues Rock, Texas Rock, Folk, Country and Metal

have a real battle going here! talk about middle of the field tussles, this, is, it! back of the field is just as congested...

'50's, Progresive Rock, BlueGrass, ;80's, the Weirdo's, and the Lunatic Fringe are still comming around the last turn, but still there...and last, but certainly not least, is...(?)...

Flamenco and Motown.

a sort of Jose Feliciano meets Marvin Gaye type thing happening there. interesting to say the least.

and I can't believe, no-one voted for Surf! where are all you budding Hank Marvins, D!ck Dales (and I still can't believe you still can't say d!ck on this site!), Gary Hoey's, Martin Cilia's and Joe Satriani's? amazing.

Well, that's who you are, what you are, what you want to be, in a nutshell guys.

Now, to the individual awards. Stick around.

Chuck...for his 8 genres, the "Fingertips like Firestone Retreads" award. And for his re-run that had more sustanence than a double beef and cheese quarter pounder.

Martin...definitely, the "Understated award".

Kelly....1 genre but straight to the point. Honourable Mention (in dispatches, of course).

EVOL......4 genre. and the "Freaking out the Squares" award. (lol).

To our resident exostentialist, Hayden,the "Heckler award" for his calls for....mariah carey(?)(wtf?)

Saturn wins the "Pink Elephant Stamp" award for neatness and composition.

L8 gets the "PETA" award (and my undying apreciation) for pulling my trick of turning up the amp and scaring the living daylights out of every animal within a 2 mile radius.

Boris gets a nod for not only adding to the tally, but giving me a good idea for the missus.

Scales, the "CSIRO" award for the most original idea for the cane toad erratication programme yet.

Jimi Mac for the history lesson (and finding himself in the process!).

Kuma for....well, for just having the best avtar on the entire website! (I love it!).

Mr. Gibson the "Bob Dylan" award for retrospective prose.

ZigZag the "Braveheart" award for just having Wallace blood in his veins (cracka we yin!). And for constructing the worlds longest continuous sentence. Longer than a Welsh train staion name.

Duane the "Sarchotic" award for taking humour to the very edge of space, where I don't know if he's just kidding, or actually serious. (Ricky Ricardo?....really?).

Cody, a big nod for his thesis.

L8 again for the half time entertainment (and for the best name dropping all evening).

Chewy for...just playing LOUD! (we'll have someone accept his award on his behalf because he can't be here himself tonight...he's in a mosh pit somewhere and we can't get him out of it!).

Milod..the "Lifetime Achievement" award simply for time in service. And daring to use the word Anglophone.

Versatile...don't panic! I'm getting that VersatileAid Benefit Concert in the pipeline mate. We'll hold it at Wembley, it'll be bigger than Glastonbury! Trust me!

Kidblast for comming in halfway through the show, but still contributing (it's ok, I hear he got caught in traffic...he was downtown playing at a disco!).

Holmis for just straight up tickling pink my girlfriend's funny bone with his opening line (and giving her great ideas too..thanks mate, still owe you one).

That's it folks. Have a look at where you polled, see where you fit. Very interesting. Thanks to everyone involved and Goodnight.

(signed, souvenier programmes available for sale in the lobby as you leave....don't forget to tip your hostes).

LOL! [thumbup][flapper]

WTH MP

Thanks, it´s my first award reached just sitting in my sofa, and i´m glad i could delight you´r girlfriend, this is a great place to be [thumbup]

Yeah, can be fun sometimes, eh mate. (owe you a beer!). [biggrin]

Well... in my case I guess it's proof that there's some advantage to survival over a longer period of time.

<grin>

BTW, my longest-term acquaintance of any sort in Australia is from Edinburgh too. Taught a while at uni level before retiring in Brisbane.

Never had the courage to try his recipe for haggis, though.

m

Well... in my case I guess it's proof that there's some advantage to survival over a longer period of time.

<grin>

BTW, my longest-term acquaintance of any sort in Australia is from Edinburgh too. Taught a while at uni level before retiring in Brisbane.

Never had the courage to try his recipe for haggis, though.

m

LOL yeah, if you'll pardon the pun, I can't stomach haggis either!

Sarah attended Edinburgh University. Bsc. from same.

Aw, shucks. [blush] I'd like to accept this award in the true spirit in which it was intended but, I must be honest.

I failed to mention the most prominant of influences upon my endeavo(u)rs... so, without further ado... my true mentor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH9_y91ihTo

ϵβ

Ah yes, the great Tommy Chong! Up there with Tommy Iommi, Tommy Scholz and Tommy Emmanuel!

One of the true greats and one of my childhood hero's too!

The Big Bambu album, his finest work to date. [thumbup]

And don't forget folks, party hard now, but don't break anything. And a big round of applause for L8 for his after cerimony party entertainment! eusa_clap.gif

Oh God, I'd love to actually do that one day! Has got to be on my bucket list. A big, hairy 6'4" guitarist on stage wearing a pink tutu, mickey mouse ears, and elton john sunnies! :P

And don't forget folks, party hard now, but don't break anything. And a big round of applause for L8 for his after cerimony party entertainment! eusa_clap.gif

Oh God, I'd love to actually do that one day! Has got to be on my bucket list. A big, hairy 6'4" guitarist on stage wearing a pink tutu, mickey mouse ears, and elton john sunnies! :P

I'm bored too

Archived