Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Bored...

Marshall Paul

OK fellas, these threads are starting to get a little white bread, and moldy. A little stale, left-overs left on the xmas table. If this were a sewing circle, a SWAT team would raid and bust the occupants for mundane loitering! lol

Now, we all know we play guitar, no brainer there hey, this is a guitarist's forum after all. We play Les Paul's, 335's SG's, Strats, Tele's, 1275's and everything else inbetween.

BUT!... what are you playing with them? Ah ha! The crux of the matter.

Whether your sneaking off to your bedrooms with your 5W practice amps (and a box of kleenex), or the rehersal halls with your 300W Marshall monsters...what sound is comming out of them?

Gentlemen! I propose.....a referendum!

Yes, that's right. A time (again) to vote with your head, your heart, your feet, and anything else you can think of that sticks foreward on your body! (personally, that being the case, I'll have to ask the ladies in the first three rows to move back please...).

OK, so what got you started? What stabbed you in the solar-plexus and grabbed your heart, your head, made your fingertips... tingle? What do you now play first and foremost before anything else? What's your genre? Is it...

The Blues?

Rock?

Blues Rock?

Blues Rock Southern style (good ol' Texas Rock)

Progressive Rock, Pink Floyd style?

The '60's mix?

Pure '70's Rock? (now Classic Rock) (stop laughing kiddies!)

That sort of weird '80's type of Rock?

That '90's musi...(oh, hold on..there wasn't anything after the '90's, strike that last thought..my fault..sorry).

What grabs you hard by the cajones and yells "Play for Me! Play Loud!, Play Now!"

Men! it's time to vote! To stand up and be counted!

What blows your skirts up?

Show your true colours on your kilts laddies!! Vote Now!!

and... DEATH TO DISCO!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initially, Rock & Roll, and R&B! And then, (of course) THE BEATLES...and, most of the rest of the 1st (so called) musical

"British Invasion!" It's still the crux of what I play, and love. But, a very close second (which was also part of the

British Invasion, via the Rolling Stones, Animals, and Yardbirds) is THE BLUES! Blues, Blues Rock, whatever. As well as

some "Motown," some James Brown, etc. "Folk Rock", via The Byrds, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Buffalo Springfield, then Jefferson

Airplane (but NOT Jefferson Starship), Janis, Cream, Hendrix, Traffic, Blind Faith, so on, and so forth. So, yeah...I'm a "Child of

the Sixties!" But, "Blues" has been a major thread, throughout my musical life. So, I guess it's the "constant," here. Like a

lot of my generation, I discovered the Blues, through those already mentioned, as well as Eric Clapton, Mike Bloomfield, etc.

And, because of that, I then went back to their influences, the Kings (BB, Albert, Freddy), Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Sony Boy,

etc., etc., etc.

These days, it's still The Blues, as much as anything, that makes me grab my guitar, and "Wail!" [thumbup] I may not be as fast,

or as articulate, as I once was. But, it's still a source of great joy! [biggrin]

CB

I turned 60 this week and my age informs some of my musical choices. I mention that because I just came up from an hour on my dock with one of my fave guitars and, I seem to play a lot of McCartney, Stones, Waits, Lennon, Lovett, Prine.. anon anon. All appropriate to my age you could say. I've never written a song I'd care to hear twice. A few instrumental ditties came out OK. Anyway, that hour of playing other people's music on a really sweet guitar, as I see fit and when I see fit, is what gives me a sense of capability and connectedness and accomplishment. I feel very present in the moment and the time passes too quickly. I think this had something to do with the topic. [mellow]

Also, what Charlie Brown said.

I cannot imagine not being able to pick up a guitar and coax a tune out of it. I'm trying to learn the harmonica now. It doesn't sound good...

Looking good fellas, keep them comming because Sarah's got the clipboard out and she's keeping score!

I'm going to add to that genre list a couple of extra genres I feel are now valid.

My Compositions

Me

needs no explaining.

(Awe Chuck....Blind Faith & Traffic.....soooo sweet!).

I try to mostly focus on my own music, specifically the several songs I am trying to finish, but cannot get the time to sit down and work out. I ain't good enough to play other peoples music. As far as what slaps me upside the head, it is loud, sonically interesting guitar music: Sonic Youth, Ty Segall, The Velvet Underground, My Bloody Valentine, The Seeds, The Smoke, Mike Bloomfield, Nels Cline, Trail of Dead, early electric Dylan, The Stooges, MC5, and anything else that is or is influenced by garage rock, psychedelia, UFOs, and scifi novels. Playing, my thing is a clean headroom amp turned up and abused with OD pedals, a phaser, spring reverb, and velcro fuzz. My SG has a Bigsby; you've been warned.

Over the summer my drummer and writing partner of ten years moved across the country so I had to rediscover myself. I reconnected with an old friend from college and we are trying to get something together. I just have to learn to be a band leader and convince him that we can play out as a two piece and still make noise and still freak out the squares.

I'll let you know young man, we are not squares! We're more of a sort of...hexagonal...type of...sort of like, square's but with softer edges kind of thing.....

Right! that's another vote for classic rock and me and my comps....and a vote for the new genre on the list....weirdo!

lol

I'll let you know young man, we are not squares! We're more of a sort of...hexagonal...type of...sort of like, square's but with softer edges kind of thing.....

Right! that's another vote for classic rock and me and my comps....and a vote for the new genre on the list....weirdo!

lol

Mariah Carey ?

lol

Mariah Carey ?

After reading that rambling OP, I think I know what Marshal wants. :)

Well around the house I mainly play one of my 2 Les Pauls, either un-plugged or through a little Yamaha THR10. When I go out to jam or play the occasional gig, I take my 100W Carvin Legacy.

As for the type of music, I will attempt to learn any genre if the song is good. Mainly a classic rock/blues guy, but also get into playing hard rock and metal, country, classical, and I would like to learn more about playing jazz. I sometimes even sit in front of the TV and try to quickly figure out the commercial jingles just for fun. Most recently I learned "Baby Blue" by Badfinger and now I am addicted to playing it. [blush]

I don't do much writing of original songs but I do improvise a lot and just play a lot of random jam/riffs. I probably should have recorded or written more of that stuff down over the years.

How's that MP? Enough to keep you from being bored for at least a few minutes. Excuse me while I go play "Baby Blue" now. B)

After reading that rambling OP, I think I know what Marshal wants. :)

Well around the house I mainly play one of my 2 Les Pauls, either un-plugged or through a little Yamaha THR10. When I go out to jam or play the occasional gig, I take my 100W Carvin Legacy.

As for the type of music, I will attempt to learn any genre if the song is good. Mainly a classic rock/blues guy, but also get into playing hard rock and metal, country, classical, and I would like to learn more about playing jazz. I sometimes even sit in front of the TV and try to quickly figure out the commercial jingles just for fun. Most recently I learned "Baby Blue" by Badfinger and now I am addicted to playing it. [blush]

I don't do much writing of original songs but I do improvise a lot and just play a lot of random jam/riffs. I probably should have recorded or written more of that stuff down over the years.

How's that MP? Enough to keep you from being bored for at least a few minutes. Excuse me while I go play "Baby Blue" now. B)

Fist Bump

lol

I'll have you know I can be a parallelogram or a trapezoid but never a hexagon or square, but mostly I'm just a simple rhombus.

When there are any more than four sides to me we can't agree on a damn thing and never arrive anywhere at the same time!

Another category: not a genre because it includes multiple genres - Eclectic, which doesn't really say much until you explain some of the songs you play or attempt...

Wait, where was I? Oh yeah, some things just defy explanation so I guess I may fit best into the weirdo slot, now that I think about it.

Mostly I just like to crank up the quadverb and L6-S to the point of rattling windows and panicing cats and dogs for a 2-mile radius,

then get out the acoustic long enough for them to calm down and return home just in time to do it again!

I'd rather be bored than boring. Why is everyone yawning?

Right, that's Jazz, Classical, Metal, and Country to the genre list with the appropriate votes with them (Sarah's very efficient!).

NO Mariah Carey!! (country only barely made it in!).

and that's not fist bump...it's fist pump! (right on bra and all that sort of thing....I think)

I'll have you know I can be a parallelogram or a trapezoid but never a hexagon or square, but mostly I'm just a simple rhombus.

When there are any more than four sides to me we can't agree on a damn thing and never arrive anywhere at the same time!

Another category: not a genre because it includes multiple genres - Eclectic, which doesn't really say much until you explain some of the songs you play or attempt...

Wait, where was I? Oh yeah, some things just defy explanation so I guess I may fit best into the weirdo slot, now that I think about it.

Mostly I just like to crank up the quadverb and L6-S to the point of rattling windows and panicing cats and dogs for a 2-mile radius,

then get out the acoustic long enough for them to calm down and return home just in time to do it again!

I'm definitely partying with you!

Sarah's throwing the electric thing in with the me genre. (preferential vote!).

and another vote in the weirdo genre (wow).

I crank up the 100W head and 300W cabs to the max and scare the p!ss out of the koalas and kangaroos...too much fun!

I'm definitely partying with you!

Sarah's throwing the electric thing in with the me genre. (preferential vote!).

and another vote in the weirdo genre (wow).

I crank up the 100W head and 300W cabs to the max and scare the p!ss out of the koalas and kangaroos...too much fun!

Aren't Koalas tripping all the time anyway?

initially the Beatles. then i got into Clapton, from there, Howlin Wolf & Muddy Waters, Hendrix, Trower... then the Allman Brothers, that kinda clinched it for me... then John Prine. I still think my 2nd Ex left me cuz I wouldn't stop playing John Prine... oh well. theres a lot of stuff inbetween, but I'm basically Southern Blues Rock. Allman Brothers, Govt Mule, Blackberry Smoke.

just home home from a gig, wife has crab dip in the fridge for me, pizza, and ice cold milk, lol. she's a good woman. my back is killing me. i need a roadie.

Sarah will put that in the My Comp genre. That's got 3 now....must be some budding talent out there!

and yeah...it's a proven scientific fact that koalas hate guitar music. get very anti-social over led zep. batty over AC/DC! but get kinda dreamy over aussie crawl, skyhooks and the hoodoos, go figure. roo's just hop into the neighbours paddock! lol works better than the district roo shooter!

we don't get many cane toads down here in SA but next time, I'll check the creek for any frogs....

Archived