Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Bored...

Marshall Paul

Blues!

More specifically, British Blues from the 2nd wave of The British Invasion...

The Pop/Rock stuff flooded our shores, but it was what that aftermaths riptide left us stranded and vulnerable-to that drowned me with the Tsunami of soul and the coolest sounds in guitar history!

418019_395469363872258_101295098_n.jpg?oh=1280e5982402e144f2fb5e6a05d3c97f&oe=552A8EE4&__gda__=1428650805_38dd3a0ceddabaf7e3e5f510249d090b

But I digress... (didn't see that coming... msp_biggrin.gif)

I'd say at that time I was further influenced most greatly by The Allman Brothers brand of southern Blues/Rock. I actually didn't even truly discover Peter Green or The Original Fleetwood Mac until I was in my 40's...

I know tons of folks talk about the Brits as emulators, but to me they're the real deal. They don't have to be the originators or pioneers, because even the folks they got their ideas from weren't the originals... I think there's a century or so of poor plantation slaves and share-croppers that inspired and pioneered that genre of music and as far as I'm concerned it is an encompassing, open, and inclusive genre and not exclusive or divisive!

Frankly if it wasn't for Clapton, I'd never have discovered Buddy Guy, Albert King, Otis Rush, Muddy Waters, or Howlin' Wolf!

I, and frankly those American Blues originals of the electric guitar age, owe a debt of gratitude to the British Blues boom for reigniting a fire in America for the Blues Music, Pioneers, and greatness that was a home-grown original and right under our noses!

They didn't emulate it to steal it or take credit for it, they did it for the love, passion, and celebration of what it was/is. They revived it out of a love and reverence for it for the amazing and original thing that it truly is! We Americans (for the most part, but clearly not en-total) had neglected and lost sight of it and what it truly was for ourselves and needed that Limey helping hand to regain that holy grail of understanding for ourselves... My hat is off to my Limey Blue brethren!

I've seen Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, Hubert Sumlin, Jimmy Rogers, Johnny Copeland, and a whole host of our American originals live and in person for myself, thanks, in no small part, to Eric Clapton and John Mayall and his Blues Breakers! Without them I'd never have found my way to Albert King, Freddy King, BB King, Elmore James, JB Hutto, and untold dozens more...

I struggled as a young guitarist and just couldn't find myself in rock, pop, country, jazz or anything for that matter... When I was in Junior High school I discovered The Blues... When I later applied The Blues to my guitaring it was like a switch was thrown and it all suddenly made sense to me and I had found what I'd been looking for. It was a literal epiphany and suddenly I found I could play and it sounded good, it was what was in my soul!

I owe it all to John Mayall, Eric Clapton, John McVie, Hughie Flint, and that dang "Beano" album!

It opened up the universe to me...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classic rock. Kiss,ACDC,Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Beatles are what I play most thru my Vox AC30 or fender mustang 5. But last few days been learning some Cars and Blondie tunes call it nostalgia I guess getting old remembering a time when I wore younger mans clothes....

Almost 20 years ago, I picked up the guitar seriously after playing on and off for almost 30 years, inspired mostly by Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour and other '70s guitarists. Jazz/Blues ala Kenny Burrell and Grant Green is where I'm at now, but my "idols" are Miles Davis and Wayne Shorter, and my favorite writer is Joe Zawinul.

Actually Ricky Ricardo was the biggest influence on me musically.... At the age of 5 I would watch I Love Lucy and wait for the scenes of Ricky Ricardo performing and conducting his band... It was at that point I wanted to take piano lessons and learn the trumpet..... He's my all time favorite performer

Well, going back to MY "Tween" years, I'd say working on model cars, in my basement, and listening to

Chuck Berry, singing "Maybellene," and Charley Ryan's (or Johnny Bond's) "Hot Rod Lincoln," as

well as "The Killer"(Jerry Lee Lewis), Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, and Elvis, of course. Those times, really

"turned me on" to Rock & Roll. But, I learned guitar, to play Ventures, and "The Kingsmen" songs,

with our fledgling little band, of 12-13 year old's. THEN, as I mentioned before, came THE BEATLES!

EVERYTHING was different, after that! LOL

CB

Almost 20 years ago, I picked up the guitar seriously after playing on and off for almost 30 years, inspired mostly by Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour and other '70s guitarists. Jazz/Blues ala Kenny Burrell and Grant Green is where I'm at now, but my "idols" are Miles Davis and Wayne Shorter, and my favorite writer is Joe Zawinul.

I'm a big fan of Zawinul (and the others you mentioned). The career writing arc from "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" to, say, "Teen Town" is nothing short of amazing. I'm fortunate that I saw Weather Report twice and Zawinul Syndicate twice as well.

I'm a big fan of Zawinul (and the others you mentioned). The career writing arc from "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" to, say, "Teen Town" is nothing short of amazing. I'm fortunate that I saw Weather Report twice and Zawinul Syndicate twice as well.

Count me in on that. Still one of my greatest heroes - I played "Tale Spinning" earlier....his music was like food, to me.

Like some other guys, I mainly play my own stuff as well as original music written by whoever I am playing with at the time. I enjoy this the most, but sometimes will play along with records still.

My musical background is quite unusual to other guys on the forum I guess. I started at age 7 taking classical lessons for a few years, but wanted to play like Page, Slash & Joe Perry etc, so learnt their parts (sometimes badly) from records. In my teens I started getting more serious about music and joined a few local bands playing metal to start with, then funk/ groove based music. Around this time I was introduced to a drummer who loved jazz and I used to borrow albums off him and marvel at the improvising skill of Herbie Hancock & Freddie Hubbard. I started playing jazz more and ended up doing an BA(Hons) in contemporary music with a main focus on jazz.

During my studies, I met a tutor who was a composer and classical musician. I started taking tutorials in classical composition and film scoring, whilst still studying jazz at the same time. A few of my scores were recorded roughly by string quartets which was very exciting. After I left University I was still playing and listening to jazz, classical, choral music and prog rock mainly, but suddenly got totally into bluegrass for some reason after hearing some great modern string bands. Now I play my own compositions which are a mix of jazz/ prog rock & world music and play in a folk ensemble on mandolin and a world music/ jazz type thing with my violin playing friend from time to time.

All the music I got into over the years I still love to hear and play from time to time, but if I had to choose one artist out of everyone I've heard it would be Neil Young for me. Don't know why, but whatever mood I'm in I never get tired of hearing any of his music. I still enjoy playing over 'Cortez The Killer' with it's 3 simple chords & emotive solos for some reason.

Actually Ricky Ricardo was the biggest influence on me musically.... At the age of 5 I would watch I Love Lucy and wait for the scenes of Ricky Ricardo performing and conducting his band... It was at that point I wanted to take piano lessons and learn the trumpet..... He's my all time favorite performer

OK......that's one for the new genre...the Lunatic Fringe....

lol

Well sports fans, it close for first, second, and third place so far.

The Sixties is in the lead, with Rock, Jazz and My Compositions in a close tussle for second place. Blues is bringing up third place, with Classic Rock and Southern Rock sweeping fourth.

Just keep in mind, Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston and there ilk don't compute here! Anyone caught trying to slide any of those in will get tarred with neck joining glue, feathered with mahogany shavings, and banished forever to PRS!

lol

Teen Town was actually written by Jaco, and interestingly, he plays drums as well as bass on that cut off of Heavy Weather.

I had no idea that Mercy, Mercy, Mercy was written by Zawinul, being familiar with The Buckinghams' version in the '60s. But when a local band, based around a great trombone player, performed it and credited Zawinul with writing it, I was pleasantly surprised.

I only saw Weather Report once live, just after the release of Mysterious Traveler in a small venue in Raleigh, NC (1974 I believe). Best concert I ever saw.

I guess I've played enough "styles" and "genres" to pretty much cover the spectrum. Still do.

But after I started playing in "dance" bands - '62 - it was then and still now when "playing out," what was more or less expected in the venue, whether paid or as a benefit.

At home? It's very tune oriented and whatever works for solo fingerstyle guitar, material from folkie to the mid 1800s to some classical, jazz arrangements of all sorts of music that has a tune I like - and on occasions sing along with.

I know that sounds like something of a "copout," but the old John Wayne movie "The Cowboys" kinda hit the nail on the head when it showed these young cowboys sitting around a campfire while the guitar player worked on Vivaldi rather than "Whoopie Tie Yi Oh."

<grin> So in a sense... I guess you could say I like tunes and lyrics rather than genres, playing whatever with groups and whatever at home. And a bit of a rebel, I did a solo jazz version of Misty at a cowboy poetry and music gig. Then again, I figure if Canadian former folkie and "cowboy" singer/songwriter Ian Tyson can do "Blue Moon" and "Somewhere over the Rainbow," Why, oh why can't I?

So... I guess in ways this ain't much of an answer... or... perhaps it reflects accurately my age and musical upbringing.

m

OK, I think I've got it figured. No mean feat when you consider ther decades your playing has spanned. You're probably one of the few here that has seen the prominent emergence of the modern guitar as it were.

That's '60's, Classical, Jazz, Country and Folk (try and beat that one guy's!).

The referendum is essentially 'what do you want to play, like to play, have been playing' sort of thing, so you can nominate as many genre's as you like. And honesty will give an acurate understanding of who is here on this site. Then we'll know who we're talking to.

Right, Mrs. Robinson?

MP...

Seriously, I think in ways it's easier for you younger guys than those of us raised in through the 1950s - in the U.S. at least, but I'll wager not dissimilar in the UK and Oz.

"Popular" music was making radical changes along with radical changes in media. I went from "watching" the radio - yup, one had that tendency regardless of age - when I got home from school to watching television.

A lot of the music on TV was transitional from swing big bands to batches of combos in various styles and the beginning of the guitar rock era. Jazz by the "greats" tended to go far over the heads of the masses and you couldn't dance to it. "Country" had huge pop and jazz influences along with the dual Brit/Scots-Irish folk and country blues influences it had from the beginning in the south of the U.S.

That went on basically until the Beatles - and that, in ways, helped with setting some boundaries of what is considered which sort of music. There remained a lotta "crossover" too.

The '50s were really odd in the U.S. in that there was so much music available, but it was in search of a market among men and women who'd been traveling a lot during WWII in metaphor if not physically.

In my case, at least, and given my folks had sung together at a lot of local "programs," I think it brought me to a greater emphasis on specific pieces rather than genres. Americans and Canadians in my general age group are more likely to know about Canadian singers Ian and Sylvia, but their material crossed huge lines of genre. So did the Byrds. Then again, so did the Beatles. Everybody was looking for their own schtick, but it was increasingly labeled by genre regardless of its foundations.

I wouldn't necessarily consider myself "typical" in that I was playing music through a number of eras by what paid and what audiences wanted to hear where I was playing.

That's really kinda confining in one sense. I didn't even listen to music unless it was stuff I was working on to "cover" while playing for money.

No value judgment here, but I'll wager that putting emphasis on one style of music may lead to better technical ability than what's become my lot. On the other hand... I personally can't help wanting to do what I do - which is nearly identical to my inclinations when I was a tween and teen - just hopefully with better skill ans swing.

m

Like I stated in opening spiel, "whatever blow's your skirts up!".

Your a man of respectable stature here within this forum, and rightly so. You have, by the very nature and passage of time, seen more than most. Your very lucky indeed.

Our species, by it's very nature, tends to pidgeon-hole. It's only then we can collectively have a look and begin to understand.

Hence, where music is concerned, genre's.

This thread is just as much about everyones experiences as to what grab's you. Just to have a good ol' look-see as much as anything else. Get the jazz afficionardo's talking with the classic rockers, the 60's hippies talking with the 80's gel-heads, the southern blue's men talking with the classical plucker's, etc. (the weirdo's talking with the lunatic fringe's...in that dark corner of the room....somewhere...LOL!).

So, let's keep them comming in fellas, your all part of this paint by numbers colour mural!

(who voted for motown? God...I've got to have a good.. long, talk with you....)lol

(who voted for motown? God...I've got to have a good.. long, talk with you....)lol

Well, I wouldn't put down Motown. A lot of those cats were pretty well respected jazzers before they became R&B.

I'm a big Jimmy Nolan fan, and what James Brown did with his horn section was sublime. Nolan's chicken picking' gave new meaning to rhythm guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPrJzfKUD48

Sarah's going to put that down in the R&B genre! lol

and just remember, a lot of motown wound up morphing into that most horrible of all genre's (even worse than punk or ©rap)......disco. So keep remembering the guitarist creed....DEATH TO DISCO!!

Archived