Gibson Brands Forums

Gordon Lightfoot

Frances50

I saw Gordon Lightfoot and his band at the Koger Center in Columbia, S.C. last night (2/22/2015). I must say for a 76 year old, he's still a pretty good performer. His band was great. Gordon played a Gibson 12 string a good bit of the time. I think his six string was a Martin. His rhythm guitar player looked to be playing a Gibson 335. Could be wrong on the exact model but I have a 335 and it looked just like mine (except his was a tobacco burst).

Anyway, it's great to still see these older performers getting out there. I'm seeing Bob Dylan in Charleston, S.C. in April. I've got pit seats for that one. Looking forward to it.

We used to play one verse of Edmund Fitzgerald over and over again until the crowd noticed. Sometimes more than ten minutes. Oh how we laughed.

Saw Gordon back in the early '70s a couple of times. First time he was great, the next time he appeared to be drunk. The fellow has written & performed some very fine songs, but I gotta say, the Edmund Fitzgerald ranks up there as one of my all time least favorite tunes. If I allow myself to think about that nasally-droning tone for very long, it almost makes me ill!

I've always been a fan of Gordon Lightfoot. I've never had the pleasure of seeing him live. I've also always been a fan of Dylan, and i still listen to Blood on the Tracks on a regular basis. But seeing him live, for me, was not a good experience. The only way I new what he was singing, was because I've listened to the songs for 40 years.

But seriously though, in...2011 I think, we went on up to Copper Harbor and out to Isle Royal and we got to canoe out on Superior and we got to hike the rocks and hear the Windigo. We sat on the porch of our room, right on the lake, and we had a couplea Kriegenklingonkulklers or whatever them beers are up there and we put Edmund Fitzgerald on the ipod thingy and we definitely grew a new appreciation for it.

rct

I always have appreciated Gordon Lightfoots style and music. Part of my own youth. Kind of sad to see him now, but still glad that he is able to perform. What a trick, that life plays on us, as we age.....what a trick! If we are 'lucky' our mind stays true as our body fails. Just my thoughts!

"...Edmund Fitzgerald" is my favorite Lightfoot recording, but it's kind of a buzz-killer. In college, my neighbor used to put it on the turntable towards the end of the evening to run the rest of us off so he could get to bed before an early-the-next-morning organic chemistry class.

Gordon Lightfoot grew on me. It was tough to wrap my head around his very unique and eclectic style at first.

The Edmund Fitzgerald moves me and I find it totally haunting. I think he spoke for generation or two of Great Lakes mariners and probably has their life-long admiration for it...

I actually like a couple of his other songs just as well.

He's not yer average cup-o'-tea... I've found that drone quite alluring and haunting. It is a classic part of the kind of music he recreates; some very old-world stuff and a sea-faring style of music... Akin to Irish limericks almost, but in a much more spiritually expresssive way...

Never really been a fan of Bob Dylan, but I'm quick to understand his impact on music, especially when you find out how many songs he wrote and who all has recorded his songs...

I saw him on some music awards show, maybe grammys or some such thing probably around 1999, and he was utterly unintelligable even then... I had exactly the same reaction, I had no idea what he was saying and found it sad...

Dylan is a seriously historically significant figure, yet I just can't find my way into being a fan of his, even if I really like some of his music that others have recorded...

Gordon Lightfoot though, speaks to me on some level that strikes a chord... He; I would see, given a local opportunity, I have a feeling it's getting a bit late for that and have not looked for him locally with any ambition...

Gordon Lightfoot has (or did have) one of English guitar maker D*ck Knight's acoustic guitars which DK delivered to him at a concert at the Albert Hall London in the 70s. I saw that concert which was not too long after the "Sundown" album.....

Dylan is a seriously historically significant figure, yet I just can't find my way into being a fan of his, even if I really like some of his music that others have recorded...

Although I came of age in the 60s, Dylan's early folk work never grabbed me, but like you, I did enjoy much of his work when recorded by others - such as It's All Over Now Baby Blue recorded by Them (Van Morrison).

However, my true appreciation for all of Dylan's talents occurred with the release of Highway 61 Revisited. If I could recommend one Dylan album to purchase & give a seriously good listen to, that would be it.

If that works for you, I'd then recommend The Essential Bob Dylan for an excellent compilation album.

Get through that, and add Nashville Skyline, and the more recent Modern Times.

The man has more music flowing through one pinky finger than a mob full of forumites.

As for his current abilities, who cares? The good stuff is all right there on record.

For me, Hard Rain is probably the best example of really good bar band* I don't give a frig drunken brawl rock and roll** ever recorded, and I still listen to it regularly.

rct

*even though most of the show they are more about the bar than the band

** rock and roll only in that they used electric instruments and had some pretty good drum thwacking going on

Archived