Gibson Brands Forums

warped j200 custom pickguard

joe sj200ec

I recently purchased a 2012 j200 custom mystic rosewood ,a beautiful guitar,but the pickguard was lifting from the back and the front,

the pickguard is a type of tortoise shell with abalone dots. after removing the pickguard it is very noticeably warped.

I really DO NOT want any other type of pickguard so, can this be straightened out or will I have to try and source a new one?

any help would be great... help!!! [sad]

Another 'non- answer' ... I had that problem to a lesser degree on by 2004 SJ200 with one of the semi-transparent, slightly reddish PGs I bought 'almost new' but w/o warranty. I tried putting some very thin double sided tape under it and that did nothing. So, I left it alone. Now, I never notice it. Forgot about it ... until now. You might contact Gibson Bozeman directly for help. I would think it could be flattened - but with abalone inlays, you obviously have to be careful. A replacement would be expensive.

Put it under a pile of books near the radiator while you're waiting for a real answer ! G'Luck.

So sorry to hear about your defective pick guard. Welcome to the club....it is a big club indeed. I owned a 2001 model of the Gibson J-200. It quickly developed the exact same pick guard problem. I soon realized that even it I were to have it fixed, or replaced..it would just happen again. I see from your problem of the 2012 Gibson J-200 that no quality improvement actions have been initiated at Gibson to fix what is such a wide ranged complaint. I got so tired of looking at it that I dumped the guitar. It made me sick to think about it after what I paid to get it, and the disappointment that followed. It gets so tiresome to hear the same old complaints from owner after owner, and watch Gibson do nothing about it, then come in here and get crucified for speaking the truth about it. The fact is, the truth is "out there"...and people know it.

Almost 12 years have passed and still the same pick guard issues have not been addressed by Gibson...Is there anyone even home at Gibson? It doesn't appear so. Maybe Taylor really should consider buying out Gibson, so that quality guitars could be produced on a consistent level. The fact is, if you want to own Gibsons...then sooner or later you will have to buy a defective one ....or buy a good one and then wait for it to become defective.

I have a 2013 Gibson Hummingbird, and am waiting for the pick guard to either wear off...or fall off. So far so good...keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath! After all.... "It's a Gibson."

Pickguards. Can't live with them (always trying to escape, or act in a warped fashion), damage without 'em (if you play all crazy, and such).

They really are a bit of a compromise; the protection to the top of the guitar is certainly welcome, but they must allow for movement (and contraction, with time, on the part of the p/g) of the two dissimilar surfaces. And although there are shades here of a recent topic about an AJ and it's frack'ed inlay, a too firmly attached pickguard could, with time, result in the notorious and dreaded "pickguard crack". Also- with the wood being held fast under the guard, the surrounding wood can expand/contract, but the wood under the p/g can not. Here, the venerable Dan Erlewine explains a repair on an older guitar, back when they really didn't want to hear about any pickguards falling off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvP565-YJ_g

A search should turn up plenty of info on straightening warped pickguards, or repairing the pickguard crack.

Finger Lakes Guitar pickguard crack repair

Since the p/g is currently off of the guitar, did you do an a/b to see if you could hear a difference, sans 'guard? While a thing of beauty in & of itself, on an SJ-200, that is a considerable amount of material on the top of a guitar whose size belies it's normally observed volume level.

There was a thread here on the forum within the last couple of months where some had success flattening a removed pickguard by applying heat under a towel, using a clothes iron.

iv been searching the internet and found that this is a problem that has come up more than once.however my last Gibson was a 2008 sj 200ec and it was played quiet a lot over six years,some weeks even 5 or 6gigs at two hour a time and it never let me down,apart from a few lite pick marks and such I could not fault it. [thumbup]

the pickguard on my custom was coming away at he front and rear,it came off with very little resistance with some gentle heat from a hair dryer. I cleaned everything using lemon oil (fretboard cleaner)to get rid of the sticky residue.i then cleaned the pickguard with some warm water and washing up liquid for dishes.i borrowed two pieces of glass from family photos(will aske wife later)and placed pickguard between them on the window ledge in a south facing window.here it will stay until I learn more!from searching the net a company called stewmac.com seem to be the favourite to supply a sheet of adhesive to apply pickguards.hope fully I will get a few sunny days to try and heat and flatten the pickguard in the few weeks it will take for the adhesive to get here.

thanks to everyone for their help so far.

ill keep you all posted and see how it turns out...here,s hoping for the best. #-o

So sorry to hear about your defective pick guard. Welcome to the club....it is a big club indeed. I owned a 2001 model of the Gibson J-200. It quickly developed the exact same pick guard problem. I soon realized that even it I were to have it fixed, or replaced..it would just happen again. I see from your problem of the 2012 Gibson J-200 that no quality improvement actions have been initiated at Gibson to fix what is such a wide ranged complaint. I got so tired of looking at it that I dumped the guitar. It made me sick to think about it after what I paid to get it, and the disappointment that followed. It gets so tiresome to hear the same old complaints from owner after owner, and watch Gibson do nothing about it, then come in here and get crucified for speaking the truth about it. The fact is, the truth is "out there"...and people know it.

Almost 12 years have passed and still the same pick guard issues have not been addressed by Gibson...Is there anyone even home at Gibson? It doesn't appear so. Maybe Taylor really should consider buying out Gibson, so that quality guitars could be produced on a consistent level. The fact is, if you want to own Gibsons...then sooner or later you will have to buy a defective one ....or buy a good one and then wait for it to become defective.

I have a 2013 Gibson Hummingbird, and am waiting for the pick guard to either wear off...or fall off. So far so good...keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath! After all.... "It's a Gibson."

I have had my gibson sj 200 tv for 6 years and the paint is still on the guard and it's not lifting.

The OP has said he is not the original owner ... we can't be certain it came out of the factory that way .

I have taken the best care of my instrument and it's still in very nice condition.

I don't think it is wise to trash gibson like you are doing.

Jeremy Morton is often on this forum and he has helped many gibson owners! So it is also not wise to say no one at Gibson pays attention.

I just got an L00 a while back ... pick guard is good 1 year later .

It must be I have goid luck with gibsons

JC

I have had my gibson sj 200 tv for 6 years and the paint is still on the guard and it's not lifting.

The OP has said he is not the original owner ... we can't be certain it came out of the factory that way .

I have taken the best care of my instrument and it's still in very nice condition.

Jeremy Morton is often on this forum and he has helped many gibson owners! So it is also not wise to say no one at Gibson pays attention.

It must be I have goid luck with gibsons

Juan, I'm glad you are having good luck with your Gibsons. No one is trashing Gibson. Any problems with quality issues mentioned here have been mentioned numerous times by countless others. I hope you are right that Gibson is listening. Maybe things will get better, and most of these issues will vanish. I would like nothing better!

JC

Me? SIx Gibsons. First one had an issues and Gibson fixed it. That was in the early 1990s The next five over twenty years have been flawless.

Is there any way to remove the pickguard, then work on it in hot water, or under a pile of books over time, and then refasten it?

It must be I have goid luck with Gibsons

JC

No pick guard issues here on any of my Gibbys either.... My only two complaints about Gibson Acoustics:

1. Very limited selection of 12-strings (But I finally was able to solve that one)

2. The end-pin jack on the electric acoustics is friggin scary [scared] .... I had to get this endpin gizmo from StewMac so that my acoustics wouldn't hit the floor (see pic).... I had to file the jack nut corners because so that the SM Strap Secure would not hang up on the jack retaining nut and unscrew it off the threaded jack when removing the strap, and BINK in the acoustic body the jack disappeared ](*,)

Acoustic_Strap_Secure.jpg

Another 'non- answer' ... I had that problem to a lesser degree on by 2004 SJ200 with one of the semi-transparent, slightly reddish PGs I bought 'almost new' but w/o warranty. I tried putting some very thin double sided tape under it and that did nothing. So, I left it alone. Now, I never notice it. Forgot about it ... until now. You might contact Gibson Bozeman directly for help. I would think it could be flattened - but with abalone inlays, you obviously have to be careful. A replacement would be expensive.

Put it under a pile of books near the radiator while you're waiting for a real answer ! G'Luck.

Just FYI - my 'lifting' is an edge about 1/3" section with about 1/8" lift. That's why it's not an issue to me. I've not lost more than a smidgen of paint on the flowers and it's situated perfectly on the rosette. The H'Bird TV's pickguard is 100% perfect. I guess I spend too much time playing and enjoying by Gibsons to feel inclined to look for imperfections. I do, however, agree the endpins whether after market of from Bozeman on A/Es are a real challenge. I tie a noose of paracord around the groove in the metal endpin and tie the other end to the strap.

Just FYI - my 'lifting' is an edge about 1/3" section with about 1/8" lift. That's why it's not an issue to me. I've not lost more than a smidgen of paint on the flowers and it's situated perfectly on the rosette. The H'Bird TV's pickguard is 100% perfect. I guess I spend too much time playing and enjoying by Gibsons to feel inclined to look for imperfections. I do, however, agree the endpins whether after market of from Bozeman on A/Es are a real challenge. I tie a noose of paracord around the groove in the metal endpin and tie the other end to the strap.

The StewMac Strap Secure Gizmo is on for good now.... I just cut a longer slit in the strap so it can be removed and attached quickly. I'm pretty confident I can do back-flips off the speaker mains and the guitar will stay secure to the strap now [thumbup]

Here's the thread from December when DaveF was trying to flatten out an elevated pickguard on the Centennial '34 Jumbo Reissue he'd gotten: link. Not a total potato chip as some other pickguards have become, but he had good results on a thick, bound pickguard, which would give some hope of flattening the thinner 'guard on the OP's SJ-200.

Good to refresh the memory on this rosewood jumbo; it was a slightly shorter long scale at 25.3"... and to check out those pics under the hood: 'looks like more could be gotten out of the guitar by improving where the ball ends seat up against the bridge plate, should you ever get ... curious. Also, Dave- hard to tell from the pics; is there much taper from lower to upper bout? A J-45 can taper down an inch, but some of the 1930's jumbos held 4.75" depth almost from tail to neck heel.

My 2012 J200 Custom also has a pickguard that is lifting up pretty much from day 1. This did bother me at first but the guitar is flawless otherwise.

This wasn't a deal breaker for me because I love the sound of this guitar. If it gets any worse I will remove it and get the 3m 2sided tape from Stew-Mac and reattach it.

On the other hand if the guitar didn't have so many good points about it it might bother me more. I also understand someone being upset after spending that kind of money and not getting absolute perfection.

I tend to focus on the positives in life especially when the world is overrun with negativity and overly analytical people.

Let's face it nothing stays new forever and every brand or company will have a certain percentage of product leave the factory with flaws.

We all know people that have to point out the one cloud in the sky after someone says "what a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky". I would rather focus on the sunshine that my J200 has to offer.

This is just my view on this topic and life in general and not directed towards anyone that has issues of quality in regards to Gibson.

• 2 weeks later...

double sided tape came from stewmac today.the pickguard had straightened out pretty good on the window for the last few days.so iv fitted the pickguard.it went on pretty good with no complications. I had a few new dry kitchen sponges that I put on top of the pickguard in case of any uneven presure on the slight contours ,and on them I put a few phone books. ill leave it for a few days to set and hopefully all will be well!

final result in a few days!

fingers crossed ......and toes!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,its been a few weeks and the pickguard show s no signs of lifting .

After putting on the pickguard I left it with the phone books on top for five days.

Now i think this is one of the finest guitars ever made .I'll add a few pics at a later date.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Here's the thread from December when DaveF was trying to flatten out an elevated pickguard on the Centennial '34 Jumbo Reissue he'd gotten: link. Not a total potato chip as some other pickguards have become, but he had good results on a thick, bound pickguard, which would give some hope of flattening the thinner 'guard on the OP's SJ-200.

Good to refresh the memory on this rosewood jumbo; it was a slightly shorter long scale at 25.3"... and to check out those pics under the hood: 'looks like more could be gotten out of the guitar by improving where the ball ends seat up against the bridge plate, should you ever get ... curious. Also, Dave- hard to tell from the pics; is there much taper from lower to upper bout? A J-45 can taper down an inch, but some of the 1930's jumbos held 4.75" depth almost from tail to neck heel.

The '34 Jumbo RI is overall 41" scale 25.375" upper 11.5" waist 10.625" lower 16" body 20" depth 3.625" to 4.75" To the 12th 5" Hole 4"

Close to my AJ but a little different

I'll have to add it to my list of jumbo bodies

MY%20GUITAR%20DIMS%20converted_zps3pt7pelz.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi all,its been a few weeks and the pickguard show s no signs of lifting .

After putting on the pickguard I left it with the phone books on top for five days.

Now i think this is one of the finest guitars ever made .I'll add a few pics at a later date.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

It's been a while now since I fixed the pickguard, still looks100% .

I have a suspicion that the cause of the problem was that the guitar was at my sister's house in Florida and the big tempature difference during the day and night caused the problem.

Thanks again for all the help.

Archived