Gibson Brands Forums

Amp curious..

HeadCase

O.K.... for those of you with more than "a few guitars",

do you also own more than "a few amps"?

I do, it seems my amp gas is damn near as bad as it is for guitars.

Sure, I have my FAV but there's a lot of flavors out there.

Diggin' the low watters lately, can't wait for the Vox Night Train.

i'm in acttual need of a new amp. i have just joined a band and my twelve watt amp is just loud enough for the more crunchy stuff. but i cant get good clean tones with it cause it just cant keep up with the drums at lower then full volume.

i'm really wanting a orange tinny terror, i know it's only three more watts but it seems to be alot louder (bigger speaker maybe?). the new vox might replace the orange though, it has alot more options to dial in tone. my other amp choices are egnater rebel and fender hot rod deluxe (that might be to loud though).

Its a real bummer. I have 12 guitars and only one stinkin' amp and it's solid state - although I do have a mesa boogie V-Twin tube preamp pedal. I have amp gas real bad and I'm in the planning stages of building a tube amp.

So I should have some tube heaven I hope within the next few months as I save up for parts.

My old Fender Princeton from 1972, a new Fender Super Champ XD with Celestion, a Mesa Boogie 5/50 Express, A Budda Super Lead 18w.

One Pedal - A Mesa Boogie V-Twin.

I want:

A Star (Mark Sampson) Nova

A Matchless Little Monster

A Carr Mercury

An old Supro

I told my wife the amp/guitar ratio should be even - just to keep the world in balance.

I have 8 guitars, so I NEED 8 amps.

She asked me why I NEED so many - I asked her why she needs so many pairs of shoes. Smiled - end of discussion...

i'm really wanting a orange tinny terror' date=' i know it's only three more watts but it seems to be alot louder (bigger speaker maybe?). the new vox might replace the orange though, it has alot more options to dial in tone. my other amp choices are egnater rebel and fender hot rod deluxe (that might be to loud though).[/quote']

I haven't played the others, but the deluxe is a great amp. But as always, the best way to shop isn't by asking on forums, listening to video clips, or reading reviews; it's just to go play. I asked a lot around here about amps, and ended up getting the deluxe despite constant recommendations for the super champs, blues jrs, and other amps. Why? The sound means more than the reputation.

Also, while this view may have fallen out of the popular opinion, there is no such thing as TOO loud. There wasn't in the 60s and 70s, there still isn't. Fight the establishment, **** the POlice, etc etc. Turn it to 10 (12 if you do end up getting the deluxe =D>).

I am much more interested in the variety in amps than the variety in guitars. We own two solid state home amps and two micro amps for travel. I'd like to get a low wattage tube amp. I don't want any more guitars than the 3 I already have.

I have 3 amps...

Vintage 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Vintage 1973 Fender Super Reverb

Marshall combo - For a solid state, it really has a great overdrive tone.

My next amp is going to be either a Mesa, Marshall, or an Orange. I'm leaning towards the 50 watt Orange Thunderverb...

I am much more interested in the variety in amps than the variety in guitars. We own two solid state home amps and two micro amps for travel. I'd like to get a low wattage tube amp. I don't want any more guitars than the 3 I already have.

rudyh is kicked out of the tree house [-(

I'm also excited about the Vox Night Train.

Amps I own:

Mesa Stiletto Deuce w/ Mesa 3/4 back 2x12 cab - I've been reconsidering my main amp that I use with my band as it's ridiculously powerful for the level we play at. Looking at Vox but need to decide if I need 30 watts or if 15 is enough (or not enough).

Fender Champ - 1966 blackface with a Weber speaker. I use this one all the time for practice at home.

Fender Blues Junior - Replaced the speaker with a Weber, replaced stock tubes with Tung-Sols, replaced Tung-Sols with JJs last night. It's sounding better but I'm still not thrilled with it for low volume playing as it tends to be a bit brittle.

Marshall Microstack - Original one from the 80's in white tolex. When it works, it sounds great but I've had the head serviced several times for the same problem that it has yet again.

Peavey Rockmaster preamp and Classic 60 poweramp rack setup with Joe's Sound / Modular Sound Reinforcement 2x12 cab. Good setup but the multiple effects loops need to be repaired. Bought the Peavey stuff some time back in the early 90s; bought the cab back in the mid 80's (a really solid cab).

Fender Custom Shop (Corona, CA), Master Built Two-Tone from 2002. It's awesome. Basically a Blues Jr. put in a larger cabinet with a 10X12 speaker set up.

Gibson Goldtone Les Paul Jr. GA-5, five watt, single channel, tube amp with point to point wiring, made in the USA

Gallien Kruger 800 RB Bass Amp.

currently...

a small Boss 10 watt SS practise amp

several Smokey amps (size of a pack of cigarettes)

a Marshall MS-2 mini amp (with 1 RAGING WATT OF MARSHALL POWER!!!!)

and...

Dr. Z Maz Junior combo w/reverb

Fender Deluxe Reverb 1965 reissue

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL signature model

head with 1960A cab.

Marshall002.jpg

Currently have

1966 Epiphone EA26-RVT

1968 Fender Princeton Reverb

1970 Fender Princeton

1977 Fender Deluxe Reverb

2006 Orange Tiny Terror Head w/matching (orange tolex) Avatar 2-12 cabinet

2007 Blackheart Little Giant Head

2008 CeriaTone 18 watt Marshall TMB clone head w/ Avatar 2-12 cabinet

Jonesing for

Egnater Rebel head

Vox Night Train head

Fender Champ - most likely silverface era

My # 1 is the Boogie to your left..... Mesa Blue Angel with a V30. It's a 2000. I think.

The Prosonic is a very good combo, it's just actually nastier than the Mesa. Go figure.

I gave my daughter a '71 Champ that was brought back to specs by Naked Clarke.

All have tube rectifiers. As well they should......

Best to ya.

Murph.

Archived