Gibson Brands Forums

Hot Rodded 335, what do you think?

Riffster

I was watching a show on the Velocity channel and a guy was pinstriping a "gasser green" custom color Gibson ES335, well a bit later in the show when he was done they showed the guitar from the front and...it has a tailpipe.

I tinker with all of my guitars, not one is stock but this is a hell of a modification.

What you you think?

1A002BC1-A8FF-4A35-A09C-89E89B192D10_zpspoo0ycbm.jpg

AA9645EA-387D-4CAD-990C-4F1F071E15DD_zpsrz1phzio.jpg

FAF1FE4E-749D-4818-9837-02ED4A2159E3_zpscdxvyjfb.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Honestly? I think it's tasteless, ugly and just a wee bit childish.

Each to their own. I won't be bidding.

That is Stacey David on "Gearz" Velocity TV

He is known as "Helmet Head" because of his hair cut and that dumb arse laugh he has.

Lot of work into the guitar, but don't think I would destroy Gibson like that.

But speaking of guitars, Jorge how is your Explorer coming along?

To each ......... . So, ok. But not what I would be interested in doing to my 335s. Some folks I know didn't like my putting a Bigsby on one of my newer Dots. And, sometimes I have second thoughts on why myself!

steve

Destroying the south ear by putting a tailpipe that looks like soft dog excrement was awful.

Maybe if he kept both ears on a Tom Delong and fashioned a different type of pipe and it might be ok, for a car enthusiast.

That is Stacey David on "Gearz" Velocity TV

He is known as "Helmet Head" because of his hair cut and that dumb arse laugh he has.

Lot of work into the guitar, but don't think I would destroy Gibson like that.

But speaking of guitars, Jorge how is your Explorer coming along?

Yea, that's it.

I am hoping to paint my Flying V today, it has been raining and cold for 3 weeks can't spray nitro when the dew point is high.

I am sick as a dog but if I gather the energy I'll do it this afternoon. I am eager to finish this guitar.

From the guitarists' point of view it's almost guaranteed to be considered hideous but dare I say that "It's just a regular production-line 335 which has been ruined. Nothing rare, special or in need of protection"?

As a novelty-value piece I suppose it's.......erm.......novel.

Wouldn't give it house-room in a million years but if others think it has some curiosity value then why not? No real harm done.

One 335 less is hardly going to make much difference to the planet.

Pip.

I don't think it's blasphemy or anything. It's a hunk of wood - do what you want to it. However, the question was "what do you think?"... and the answer is I don't like the looks of it. The whole balance of the 335 is off - the symmetry is shot. I like the idea of a hot rod guitar - just doesn't look right on the 335, IMHO. That same exhaust pipe treatment on something like a Gretsch Billy Bo would be bad *** though.

What on earth is that guitar Bence? A semi-acoustic Recording?

Where do I get one? [biggrin]

Hello Pin!

No, it's a one-off ES-355 with Low-Z Les Paul electronics made for Mr. Tony Mottola.

It was sold at Christie's for 14.400 USD in 2005.

Cheers... Bence

Archived