Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Silvercrow

Hi Everybody-

Couple of pics of the new addition! More to come. I am loving it so far- light weight, very resonant, EXCELLENT fretwork / fret finishing, action good out of the box. Had to adjust the trem to float but that took all of about 5 minutes!

I've only played her for about 20 minutes so far- the Fat 50s are, IMO, the best Strat pup I've played except for the Fralins I had on my G&L. GREAT tone and the pups will it well with my style and intended use. The Lord is very good to me, indeed!

Medium jumbo (always cracked me up, that term)frets and the neck feels good to me. I'm bonding with her very quickly- good addition to the family for me!

BUT I have to say- I've gone over for good- my Gibson Studio LP is still and will remain my number one. But hey; number two ain't a bad position!

There will be more pics- very tired tonight- will post more tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!

Brian

Fender20Strat20and20Gibson20LP20012.jpg

Fender20Strat20and20Gibson20LP20001.jpg

Fender20Strat20and20Gibson20LP20010.jpg

BTW-

Kudos (again) to Musicians Friend. Excellent service- and I ordered it Monday- it shipped Tuesday morning and arrived, in perfect condition, Wed. afternoon!

ALSO- all my love to my wife who puts up with and actually encourages me! (Well- not to spend money, but encouragement to play music!) [thumbup]

Brian

Nice! Beautiful Stratocaster! I am fond of the Fender Fat '50's pickups, too. Have a set in my 3 tone sunburst 2014 American Standard 60th Anniversary Stratocaster and love them! Love the gold, by the way! I have a 2004 50th Anniversary Stratocaster that's gold.

Hi Brian, Congrats with your new guitar [thumbup] Oh boy, that Fender Strat is giving me GAS [love]. I do like like the Aztec Gold finish and those Fat 50s pups mmmm. I was very tempted with a Fender Strat in Olympic White/maple fretboard and Fat 50s pups but seeing your Fender I'm liking the Aztec Gold. [drool]

Lovely photos, it's great to see Scarlet too, she's a beauty [love]

Hope you are having lots of fun playing those beauties :)

kind regards, Emma :)

Thanks all!

I am loving my new Strat!

@Emma- I love the Olympic White with maple 'board! Always reminded me of Hendrix- I guess cause of the Woodstock photos, although I cant remember if his had a rosewood board or maple...

@Rev- thanks! Don't know if I'm worth my salt (I always feel I have a long way to go..LOL) but it is a great combo to have! Thanks!

@Guitar God- Right with you on the 50s! They seem to have the sparkle / shimmer but yet seem more...controlable(?)...than the stock sets- although I like the stock sets too! Kidblast gave an excellent description of them in my other post- they are "all that" to me!

I love it when I get a guitar I don't feel the need to change right away! The only things it's getting are the strap lock buttons and a new set of strings...

One of the many things I judge my guitars on is sustain and of course my version of great tone. Hitting some chords- particularly the jazz and 7ths / 9ths you can hear those harmonics coming through- sends chills up my spine!

Rick, my bass player buddy, is possibly coming over tonight- the neighbors on both sides are gone...wife is at a seminar...you get the picture! \:D/

Brian

Hey Zentar-

No- 'Mystic Aztec Gold'. A light gold sparkle; I love the color- but looks vastly different depending on the lighting.

Brian

I love strats for what they are. I still own many of em, but in the Fender line up I feel in love with the raw sounds of a couple of telecasters 30 years ago.

Enjoy the new Strat, it will complement that LP in the your guitar tool box.

I don't know who said this first, but it kinda sums up the Strat verses Tele thing quite nicely.

"The Stratocaster is the Prom Queen, while the Telecaster is her slutty little sister."

Oh, that's a great finish! Love it. [thumbup]

I almost went Aztec gold on the Tele I am building, but since the paint guy could get Gibson "gold top" gold, I went with that.

Now I really need an Aztec gold Strat though! [scared]

Brian congratulations! I think you have the epitome of the classic combination of guitars. I mean if I were stranded on a desert island and could only have 2, it would be an LP and strat and that color is outstanding!

Thanks Everyone!

@TMan- I agree; the perfect combo.

@ RCT- Thanks- no B.S., for some reason every time I look at this guitar it makes me think of "going down the shore"!

@Emma-

Fuller (not brush, I mean more) tone report later. Right now I've been playing her for the last hour and a half. We are bonding terrifically! Scarlet was crying a little- but I assured her she was still number one!

These pups (Fat 50s) are just what I want! Throaty, and tey can bark, too! That Fender shimmer is all there, but the bridge and bridge / middle positions are more controllable for me. I figure it's just me, but prior to this I have had little to no use for bridge pup in a Strat or a Tele, without changing the out. Gosh darn, I'm loving this!

Last night Rick came over and we jammed for about 2 hours. It was phenomenal! That guy can play bass! We started working on an original of mine and he laid down a line that fit it and bolstered it- really made it into something special!

He plays guitar too (he's the guy that has the 54 LP)matter of fact he just started playing bass a few years ago. Anyway-he's trying out the Strat and he's mumbling "I forgot how nice these were, I forgot how much fun it is to play a Strat..." so he looks like he's not gonna give up the Strat for a while and I go out to the kitchen to get some coffee. On my return he's got this far-away look in his eye. So I say "Bro, tell me right now if we need to look for a bass player!" He laughs and says "Nah, I love bass.." I told him we didn't need to be a power trio and if he wanted he could play guitar. He declined but he kept stealing looks and "Goldie". I made sure she was still in my house when he was leaving!

Need a name for this guitar. Goldie is a little hokey- I think of her as a "she" any suggestions?

Thanks all!

Brian

Fender%20Strat%20and%20Gibson%20LP%20008.jpg

Fender%20Strat%20and%20Gibson%20LP%20005.jpg

Fender%20Strat%20and%20Gibson%20LP%20004.jpg

Lots of strange behavior on my part now that I'm getting (gotten) older! Like naming guitars...

I think this one will be "Aura" as in Aura Lee (trad. song; the "maid of golden hair").

I DO love the way it picks up different light and seems to "change color"...

I may be going nutz... :rolleyes:

Brian

Archived