Gibson Brands Forums

The joys of dealing with buyers....

ksdaddy

Sometimes I put stuff up for sale on the local Facebook 'for sale' groups. Lately I've had a pile of $50-$100 guitars to get rid of and it's hard to sell them on ebay...people are reluctant to buy an 8 year old Indonesian Strat copy for $80 and then pay an additional $40 for shipping. Can't blame them.

Trying to sell anything to the hillbillies around here is entertaining. They do NOT read the ads. They post and ask the info that is already clearly stated in the ad. Or hey want delivery, or want to trade some used Tupperware lids for it. Payment plans, "hold it for me until the first of the month", etc. Half the time I post stuff for sale KNOWING it won't sell but I am amused by the responses and sometimes they p1ss me off to the point of snapping back at them.

Stargazer Strat copy, signed by Jeff Cook of Alabama....fifty bucks.

Fifty. Bucks.

2zggm4w.jpg

Does it come with the case?

It comes with a thin walled, lightweight, waterproof, gusset seal polyethylene carrying case, complete with handy twist tie. Odor control available for an additional fee.

8-10-gallon-high-density-coreless-trash-bags.jpg

Will you ship to Malaysia?

Depends on how many stamps I can fit on the aforementioned carrying case.

You should tell them John Lennon played it and make up a date that was after he passed away, and say that was the date he played it just to screw with them.

If I were a photoshop guy, there would be an Indonesian Strat in this pic with the response, "John signed this for me personally right before I uh.... never mind."

article-1335479-00E7618200000190-271_468x357.jpg

There are few things worse than selling Guitars. I have a couple of vintage Texans right now, that I would like to sell and get this J 200 I have my eye on, but I would rather jamb a sharp stick in my eye first. I for one, love the guys that want you to send more photos of the guitar where every square inch of it is covered, and then they tell you, "looks nice, but I cant afford to buy a guitar right now". They window shop and waste everyones time. Or what is better are the History channel pawn stars, pickers and Fast & Loud flppers out there- . They will bid .50 cents on the dollar "just to see what happens'.

A little while ago I bought a quilt burst bird from Sweetwater for 4 grand. Played for like 15 minutes. Then i had to raise some capital and sell a few things off. I listed it for $2800.00. to move it quick, and you would not believe the haggleing. I is not like flea market haggeling where all is in good taste. There are some real entitled jag bags out there with internet muscles.

It is tuff for me, not to take it personal. I wish I could laugh it off like you can.

the picture posted above with Lennon is so sad.

Maybe the only thing worse is buying a one on line.

T.

I've had a few flakes with my pedal listings on eBay. And I learned a few things...

If it's something I've already sold them, I always just take it back for a full refund - no questions - even if it's after the return date. I don't want anyone stuck with something that has my logo on it if they don't love it. They're out return shipping - I'm out original shipping. I just sell it to someone else and I still make profit.

If they ask a really a$inine question, I usually just ignore it. (Though I can't tell you how many people have no idea what to do with a tube amplifier attenuator) :rolleyes:

Also I never "accept offers" for anything. That avoids the haggling and the low-balling.

In late September I sold the husk of an old Harmony/Silvertone lap steel, just the wood, not a stitch of metal, for $26.49 plus $20 shipping. A guy in Hawaii bought it. I shipped it the next day. On 10/2 it had made it to California and then nothing. Thus began the series of caustic and demanding emails from him, wanting to know where it was and pointing out it was MY fault he wasn't going to get this build done in time. Finally I told him to file a claim through ebay. He did NOT want to do that; he wanted me to just refund his money. I said 'go through ebay, it's the only way I will act." Finally he did put in a claim and within the next day or two I did refund him. In my refund, I said "If that ever does show up, do what you think is right." In other words, either offer to return it to me at my cost or pay for it and keep it per the original deal. He did not reply.

The more I thought about his attitude, the more steamed I got. I put in a 'parcel intercept' request with instructions to ship it back to me. It will cost me, but I decided I wanted it back...I wasn't about to just let this guy get something for nothing.

Side note, I have, on many occasions, just refunded and let them keep the item if there was a level of dissatisfaction. It depends on whether they are trying to push me around or not.

I initiated the parcel intercept, and one site suggested I CALL the addressee's post office and give them a heads up that a package is en route that I want stopped, in the event the 'parcel intercept' doesn't get in the hands of the right person. So I called the post office in HI and in our pleasant conversation he informed me that this package would have been scanned in CA, been loaded onto a barge, and it would have been delivered in HI about 6 weeks later!

I have a feeling the guy KNEW that...him being a RESIDENT and all.

He wanted to get something for nothing. And he almost got it. I wonder how many others he's scammed like this?

I suspect I will get this lap steel body back in my hands in 2016 sometime. With what I lost on the ebay deal plus what it's costing me to get it back, I'm out about $55. Not the end of the world. Maybe I'll put it together myself.

I've worked with "the general public" (buyers and sellers) in various capacities, for most

of my adult life. Now that I'm "retired," the less I have to deal with them/that...the

happier I am! And, from what I've observed, both during and since that time, I don't see

it getting any better, either. [unsure] But, I'm a bit Cynical now, I admit! :rolleyes:

CB

You have hillbillies in Maine? [confused][blink] :o

I truly don't know what else to call them. They follow the same modus operandi every time when responding to my ads. I post something for sale on Facebook and one will ask a question that WILL result in a 'no' answer, in a passive aggressive attempt to make the item look worse. I.E. let's say I had a Squier Affinity Strat for sale. Is it likely to come with a hard shell case? No. COULD it come with a hard shell case? Sure! Again, is it likely? No. So the guitar is pictured in the ad. Someone posts... "Does it come with a hard shell case?" It's almost as if they KNOW it doesn't but they want to ask anyway. I reply, "no, it comes with a gig bag". And I get no further conversation. Pretty slick PA move.

Same guitar.... "Is this a USA Strat?"

*sigh*..."no"

"Trades?"

(Sure! I have a guitar worth $100, you have a guitar worth $75, I will give you $50 on trade. You give me your guitar and $50, then I have the opportunity to sell YOUR guitar at a little profit... that's the ONLY reason or motivation I would have to take your guitar in trade. If you have a guitar worth $100, I am not under any obligation, legal or moral, to trade you 'even'.)

But that is all moot because they wanted to trade me an X Box or a 20 year old compound bow.

"What's your best price?" MY best price for this Squier Affinity is $1,000,000 but I don't think that's what you were asking. Here's the problem: I have a $100 guitar that I just posted on FB. Within a half hour someone wants to make an offer. Hey, quick sale, I'll take a little hit. "I'll take $75 right now".

STOOOOPID.

You will never hear from them again and you just dropped your price to $75 for all to see.

"I'll take it! I'll pick it up Friday!"

No.

"Do you ever go to (fill in the name of a town 50 miles away)?"

Not if I can help it. You want it, come to me.

"My buddy is looking for one. Call him at 999-9999."

No.

I don't have a better name for them than hillbillies and I should apologize for calling them that. In reality, they are the Section 8 crowd that gets up at the crack of noon, has their cable and internet in the dog's name but always seem to have money for another tattoo.

Here's one I got a few weeks ago. I'm selling a vintage 80's Metallica shirt. Guy bids the shirt up to $65 and wins the auction. A few hours later I get this email.

"I was free overnight express shipping!"

Literally... that's what it said. Not a hello or a how are you or anything. Just this demand. I use flat rate boxes for these shirts because it's handy for me. The shipping is $5.95 and is clearly posted in the auction details. To be honest I would have probably eaten the shipping on a $65 sale if he had asked nice but this demand just annoyed me so I responded.

"I don't offer express overnight shipping and I don't ship for free. I'll be happy to ship the item as soon as you pay the invoice of $70.95. "

"I was free overnight express shipping!" was his reply. Literally a cut a paste response... While I'm pondering this he sends the same email 2 more times. "I was free overnight express shipping!" "I was free overnight express shipping!"

I responded "Well, as I can't make you happy I'm just going to cancel this auction and relist the shirt."

His response.... "OK"

Gawd, there's a dumbness in this world [laugh]

actually I was expecting something like:

"Is that Searcy's?"

"Hello, yes"

"From the internet?"

"Umm,... yeah"

"You sell pickups?"

"Ah, yes thats right, how can I help you"

"You got any F-150's bud?"

"Wha... oh, I see. No, sorry man, I sell guitar pickups not Ford pickups - ha, that's funny. sorry 'bout the confusion"

"Right. So do you got any Chevy C10's?"

'click'

Gawd, there's a dumbness in this world [laugh]

actually I was expecting something like:

"Is that Searcy's?"

"Hello, yes"

"From the internet?"

"Umm,... yeah"

"You sell pickups?"

"Ah, yes thats right, how can I help you"

"You got any F-150's bud?"

"Wha... oh, I see. No, sorry man, I sell guitar pickups not Ford pickups - ha, that's funny. sorry 'bout the confusion"

"Right. So do you got any Chevy C10's?"

'click'

Man... you have no idea how bad it would get when I was doing the pickup think.

IF you have the time here's a fun story about one such job..... and I got this kind of stuff all the time....

This may explain some of my aversion to vintage obsessed guitar dorks these days..

I don't have a better name for them than hillbillies and I should apologize for calling them that. In reality, they are the Section 8 crowd that gets up at the crack of noon, has their cable and internet in the dog's name but always seem to have money for another tattoo.

OMG - their relatives live right here in Iowa [blink]

2690648-facepalm-homer-simpson.jpg

[lol]

This reminds me of the 'Melody Maker' weekly classified ads for musicians back in the 20th century....

"Bass/Guitar/whatever wanted for band, must have own transport and gear. No breadheads, no timewasters."

Those were the days....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And funnily enough.....

I don't do as much online trading as the OP but currently have a guitar on ebay; my Shine orange semi with Bigsby, buy now price of £210(GBP). 4 pics, 3 of guitar front/back clearly showing color and details.

Got an email asking "will you take an offer and it's orange is it?" (Sigh)

1) Yes I will take an offer. OBVIOUSLY that's why there's an auction and a buy now price.

2) Yes it's orange in real life as well as the (clear) photos.

](*,) ](*,)

You can expect at least one of these every single time you have something half-decent to sell - people will never stop trying it on. Hope springs eternal etc.

I can see it could get exasperating if you do as much trading as the OP.

1) Yes I will take an offer. OBVIOUSLY that's why there's an auction and a buy now price.

Well, those aren't the same thing actually. There's a check box that allows you to entertain offers lower than the But It Now price. What bugs me is the buyers who want to email you a low offer even though you have not set up the auction to accept offers. I think that's what this buyer was doing to you.

Archived