Gibson Brands Forums

Oldest guitar pick in existence...

Ryan H

Today I received a parcel from StoneWorks Guitar Picks...something really special. A week ago Mike (Mike Stone, of StoneWorks) posted pictures of these picks on Facebook...and I just needed to have one. More money than I ever thought I would pay for a guitar pick...but I'm so happy I did.

Jpa8wgX.jpg

w7jsSzz.jpg

A pick made from a meteorite that fell to Earth 4 billion years ago. This thing was here before humans, before dinosaurs...before just about anything. The Earth itself is only 4.5 billion years old. It's pretty insane..

Rough on strings, since it's basically metal. Heavy for a pick, too. But it's a great conversation piece and there's just something special about holding something this old in your hands...especially something that fell from space.

-Ryan

What a brilliant thing to own! Any idea what elements/compounds it's mainly made of? Looks like it ought to have electronic components mounted on it!

A very nice curiosity.

R's, H.

Not a clue. All I know is it's made from a Gibeon Meteorite, which is the name of a Namibian town it was found near.

-Ryan

Is that what makes heavy metal rock?

Probably. Iron and nickel forming meteorites are in fact super hot particles of highly compressed matter rebounded from neutron star surfaces during a supernova explosion. They were solid due to pressure and then within fractions of a second molten, vaporized, condensed, and finally solidified again during a journey at a considerably large fraction of the speed of light. :o

But anyway, most of this is valid for most of the matter we consist of, too, just a little less extreme. [biggrin]

I found Stone Works on Facebook too. Kept looking at different picks he made for awhile and finally had to try one. I now have 3 picks from different stone. Just out of curiosity, I had to try one. I was surprised at the different tone it made from the Fender picks that I used. They are pretty cool! You can wrap up some money on them depending on which picks you want and which stone you choose.

It even looks good with that cross strand structure. What a great find. [thumbup]

Those are called Widmanstätten patterns. They're also the proof that it's from a meteorite; these patterns only form when the nickel-iron cools slowly over millions of years. You can't replicate it.

-Ryan

Archived