Gibson Brands Forums

Gruhn's just floored me

MorrisrownSal

I have bought a new guitar or two online from them in the past. I get their inventory emails.

I inquired about a specific 50's guitar they recently added to their inventory, thinking about dipping my toes into an old Gibson, like Dan did. I emailed the guy I dealt with in the past, and he just responded. He told me that he thinks the guitar I am inquiring about is not the best way for me to dip my toes in vintage, and that it doesn't have the sound he wants to see in that model. He gave me some reasons why, and I am so impressed.

I was floored. What a great dude. Gruhn's is trusted for a reason. I only wish I lived closer to their shop. I cant wait to visit Nashville, shake this gentleman's hand, and eventually buy a guitar that will rock my soul.

I just wanted to share...

It is very inspiring to have dound "a guy" that will look out for your best interests, and has an idea of what blows your hair back. My "guy" is Mollie at Willies Guitars in St Paul MN. I cannot tell you how many times she has been of value in giving me a "head-up" on something she knows fits me, and discouraging me from stuff she knows I would probably not be happy with long-term. Thes types of salespeople are exactly the "relationship" oriented folks that a guitar geek needs, and values. Good on ya Sal - I want to travel to Nashville and meet "that guy".

That is nice to hear. You have to start somewhere for a "vintage". My first "vintage" guitar was a 1962 Martin D 28 I bought brand new, and still play it daily. I've heard of others with the same experience with Gruhn's. Great folks. Don't be afraid to take that first step, as long as you realize there'll be no turning back. Good luck.

In the mid nineties I studied classical guitar. I had to go shopping as all I had were steel strings. I hit most every place in town and Gruhn was among the first, and found a Gibson C-? model that played pretty well.

I needed to know if that was the one so I hit a couple more places and tried several but nothing that played any better than the one at Gruhn. When I returned I was horrified to see it wasn't back on the wall!

I feared the worst - that it had been sold. There was a small crowd there and as I asked a couple of employees about the guitar I got nowhere. I soon found the reason for the crowd was because Ricky Scaggs was there.

Evidently George had sensed my worry and came over to allay my fears and tell me that all was well; the guitar was in the back being looked over. To say I was relieved would be an understatement.

Even more than that, I was extremely impressed that George would take time out to assure me, a nobody, that he still had my $400 guitar, with such an important customer on the floor. He's a class act.

Did the same with me a few years back. I was looking at one of his "As Is" instruments. I had been looking for one of these guitars for years so was very interested in it. Did not sound too terribly bad on the website but when I talked with him about it he pretty much recommended I avoid this particular instrument unless I could do all of the work that was needed myself.

George Gruhn is a truly knowledgeable and interesting guy. They say he is a hard to deal with though when trying to sell him a guitar as he will pick the thing apart.

But what you have posted is incredibly refreshing and great to read. I cannot tell you how many times I have read in forums that somebody bought a guitar that some sales guy at some store swore up and down was the best sounding example of that model they have ever gotten in the place.

What heartening tales. I live in he UK so there is literally no chance that I will ever see Gruhns in person. However I have read a good bit about George and I've seen videos of him being interviewed and showing folk around is collection and hearing him speak so knowledgeably . I always had the impression that he looked and sounded like a very decent human being - and he apparently is. Wonderful stuff!!

I have bought a new guitar or two online from them in the past. I get their inventory emails.

I inquired about a specific 50's guitar they recently added to their inventory, thinking about dipping my toes into an old Gibson, like Dan did. I emailed the guy I dealt with in the past, and he just responded. He told me that he thinks the guitar I am inquiring about is not the best way for me to dip my toes in vintage, and that it doesn't have the sound he wants to see in that model. He gave me some reasons why, and I am so impressed.

I was floored. What a great dude. Gruhn's is trusted for a reason. I only wish I lived closer to their shop. I cant wait to visit Nashville, shake this gentleman's hand, and eventually buy a guitar that will rock my soul.

I just wanted to share...

Aha!

But which 50s guitar, Sal? You neglected to mention.....LG2/3? J45?

Cynical says maybe Keef wants it - my experience with local guitar shops says they would rather set fire to their naughty bits than miss a sale! [biggrin] But Gruhns do have a reputation of honest appraisal for email questions - I asked about a National a few years back and the reply was against. It was needing lots of work and I thought my local guy could bring it up but they advised against. Then I bought an old ripper locally....

BluesKing777.

I am hoping to get there in early December and have a look myself. Good folks to deal with from past experience.

On a slightly different subject, I was in Randy Woods Music Store and Pickin' Parlor last week. He had some nice guitars but nothing in the Gibson row that I could get excited about. A good thing because my pocket wasn't quite ready.

Aha!

But which 50s guitar, Sal? You neglected to mention.....LG2/3? J45?

Cynical says maybe Keef wants it - my experience with local guitar shops says they would rather set fire to their naughty bits than miss a sale! [biggrin] But Gruhns do have a reputation of honest appraisal for email questions - I asked about a National a few years back and the reply was against. It was needing lots of work and I thought my local guy could bring it up but they advised against. Then I bought an old ripper locally....

BluesKing777.

Well, I dont want to name the guitar, as I dont want to risk getting in between Gruhn and other customers. If someone here is specifically looking at a model they are wanting to buy there, and want to make sure this model is not it, then please PM me.

Cheers everyone.

I know and knew a few guys like that- I mean knew me, and were honest with me.

And I honestly say, that's also how we should all do business in our daily lives. I really, really want to say we should not be "floored" when it happens, but rather, we should expect that from one another. But it isn't that way, is it?

But, back to this. The REAL problem with a guy like that, is when he recommends something to you. And he takes checks.

Life is good.

Archived