Gibson Brands Forums

Outdoor gig this Friday

cookieman15061

Playing music for the opening night of local shopping season this Friday. We'll be outside but the weather won't be to bad, 40ish. A heatwave compared to last time we played one of these. It dropped into the teens and snowed. Frozen fingers are not conducive to quality soloing.

Oh man.

My band has endured outdoor gigs this past year like you wouldn't believe!

Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Big challenges for moisture control and for keeping guitars in tune when it's either hot and moist or cold and dry.

You just have to keep soft cotton bandanas or terry-cloth towels handy, plenty of Finger-Eaze, and check your tuning more often than you think you should!!!

[thumbup]

081118.jpg

Playing music for the opening night of local shopping season this Friday. We'll be outside but the weather won't be to bad, 40ish. A heatwave compared to last time we played one of these. It dropped into the teens and snowed. Frozen fingers are not conducive to quality soloing.

You must be a glutton for punishment, cookieman! [flapper][biggrin] Just hope the wind isn't blowing,

as 40 degrees will feel like 20! The coldest outdoor gig I ever played was a damp 52 degrees, with

near 100 percent humidity, and a 15-20 mph wind, from the North, blowing across our stage!

It was the most miserable gig, I've ever played, "comfort" wise. [scared]

CB

Was that last year when you were playing under that plastic tent? [unsure] Hope this gig goes great. B)

I feel your pain cookieman. I've posted this picture before:

jsLrfwL.jpg

Christmas Eve last year, western New York, below 30 in a barn. Oh MAN!

I gig in all weather extremes, and when I do church work I do so with no pay.

I'll be doing the barn again this year too, as well as strolling the streets with carolers bearing up against the Lake Erie winds. This is why I have indoor guitars as well as outdoor guitars.

I tell ya' cookieman... I feel your pain.

Now if I could just feel my fingers!

Archived