Gibson Brands Forums

Holiday Spirits

rct

Went out at lunch time and got a 6 year old Perrier, an 8 year old Clicquot orange, 8 or 10 Prosecco splits, Hendricks, and some Absolute for a guest we know likes that.

Already have some Pyrat, some really good tequila that I can't remember the name of, some Bookers 12 year, and of course shelves of California champagnes.

Some QTonic and some TeaTree mixers for the coctail crowd, I'll be hittin the stuff with bubbles.

We are set.

rct

Excellent!

What would be native Aussie spirits? Not Fosters.

rct

There's a bit of alcohol in fermenting gum leaves but I hate the taste!

I understand there is a really good whisky distillery in Tasmania though as yet I haven't run across it here.

I suppose rum would be the obvious iconic spirit associated with this country given it was the "currency" in our fledgling colony all those years ago (well initially there wasn't actually any money here at all!) Bundaberg rum isn't a bad drop! http://www.bundabergrum.com.au

I will be a lucky man when I retire and can enjoy it's delicate crispness for breakfast...

That unmistakable buscuity undercurrent?

I know what you mean.

We went over to Nord Pas de Calais (by Eurotunnel) last month specifically to stock up.

I won't elaborate fully but we 'saved' circa 4x what we actually spent...if that makes any sense?...................

Pip.

That unmistakable buscuity undercurrent?

I know what you mean.

We went over to Nord Pas de Calais (by Eurotunnel) last month specifically to stock up.

I won't elaborate fully but we 'saved' circa 4x what we actually spent...if that makes any sense?...................

Pip.

I hate you.

rct

I don't drink much differently during the holidays than the rest of the year. Though I have been enjoying the Sierra Nevada Celebration ale very much. Very delish. [thumbup] This is also the time of year when I buy something to go in Egg Nog - usually Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort or Bushmill's Irish Whiskey.

The wife is in a position of some respect, authority and power. As such there are those in her industry who are constantly attempting to curry favor. This is the time of year the Dom Perignon simply rolls in until we are awash in the stuff.

Folks, in the world there is nothing like a chilled Dom. Nothing.

The wife is in a position of some respect, authority and power. As such there are those in her industry who are constantly attempting to curry favor. This is the time of year the Dom Perignon simply rolls in until we are awash in the stuff.

Dom is good, no doubt, had a bottle and dinner at Le Bec Fin for our 25th. For that money though, I'd rather get a Perrier and a Clicquot, or one of the really crisp Perrier rose. Iron Horse in CA USA makes a couple of cuvees that knock off that super dry Perignon snap exactly for a third the money. Madame Clicquot Ponsardin spent great amounts on furthering Champagne into the absolute beauty that it is, if I could only get one more bottle it would be a Clicquot.

I hope Pippy is happy with my distaste for Euros that can just get on a train and go get some. Chaps. My. Situpon.

rct

Went out at lunch time and got a 6 year old Perrier, an 8 year old Clicquot orange, 8 or 10 Prosecco splits, Hendricks, and some Absolute for a guest we know likes that.

Already have some Pyrat, some really good tequila that I can't remember the name of, some Bookers 12 year, and of course shelves of California champagnes.

Some QTonic and some TeaTree mixers for the coctail crowd, I'll be hittin the stuff with bubbles.

We are set.

rct

Brother you better wear knee pads cause your going to hit the floor , Down here in Alabama we make our own. It will curl your toe nails , peach & blueberry when you feel it coming on you better sit down..

Merry Christmas from 4H

I had Dom Perignon for the first and only time at Christmas, 1983.

Back then it was $75.00 a bottle.

Can't imagine what it costs now.

I had Dom Perignon for the first and only time at Christmas, 1983.

Back then it was $75.00 a bottle.

Can't imagine what it costs now.

eh. $150 or so for ordinary eight to ten year old, our last bottle was $110 on sale. They also do all kinds of special editions and limited stuff, real luxury like, you can spend a fortune on a gift box.

rct

Flying on Christmas Day to see my wife (doing her internship in Missouri) and she has 2 bottles of Roederer Estate Premier Brut. Yeasty and dry, love it. Will also have a Turducken and we'll have a 2000 Chateau Pavie Bordeaux. Heaven if you like wine (like me).

Folks, in the world there is nothing like a chilled Dom. Nothing...

For folks who prefer Veuve to Moet it's very worthwhile seeking out a bottle of VCP's 'La Grande Dame'.

I hope Pippy is happy with my distaste for Euros that can just get on a train and go get some. Chaps. My. Situpon.

Not wanting to rub salt into your already chapp'd posterior, you understand, but it's even better than that, rct.

The Eurostar is a train for foot passengers (and very nice it is, too) but the Eurotunnel is a train for cars. The UK terminus is about 40 mins away from here and once the check-in and so-on is over the journey-time under the Channel is about another 45 mins. You simply drive into the carriage and sit there until you get to the other end.

We had a very nice lunch at the seaside and, prior to going home, filled the car with goodies which are comparatively expensive in the UK such as Confit de Canard, Foie Gras and six dozen assorted fermented grape-juice. St. Juliens; St. Estephes; Meursault and such-like.

I'm a big fan of the Eurotunnel.

Pip.

Archived