Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Rock & Roll HOF Inductees

rocketman

that Deep Purple (one of the, what, dozen or so most influential rock bands in history) is just now being nominated says a lot about the legitimacy of this charade.

I happened to notice as I walked past my 13 y.o son's room that he had bought a cassette player (looks new - I didn't know they still made 'em) and had raided 4 cassettes from my collection in old briefcases downstairs (I was a child of the 80's). Hmmm, AC/DC's TNT and Back in Black, Nirvana's Nevermind, and a Deep Purple live album. He and 4 of his mates are taking music at school next year and plan to form a rock band - those albums were what he chose from hundreds to get song ideas.... says something.

It was a great idea. It started good. It became nothing but a bunch of people using it as their personal bank, like every other business in this country. The displays when we went in 2003 were just awful, nothing but Daltrey and Brittney Spears and Rod Stewart costumes. I think one of the Allmans Les Pauls was right next to all that stuff, they musta been proud. We thought it would have matured into a little more history, more of the ingredients, more interactivity with what it took to make R&R. Nope. Costumes.

And who got in and who didn't became this lame-o slap fight every year because my favorite band didn't get in and yours did. It was suggested at the start they not bother with all that fuss and just start putting bands in as their time came, but no, they thought it would be as big as the grammys and the emmys and the oscars and such. Sure, it's a big night for the people who run it, they have great dinner and champagne and just slap each other on the back about the trip they are all taking next month to start considerations for next year, prolly in Hawaii or something.

The building is beautiful.

Very disappointing and sorry I ever gave them a nickel.

rct

that Deep Purple (one of the, what, dozen or so most influential rock bands in history) is just now being nominated says a lot about the legitimacy of this charade.

I happened to notice as I walked past my 13 y.o son's room that he had bought a cassette player (looks new - I didn't know they still made 'em) and had raided 4 cassettes from my collection in old briefcases downstairs (I was a child of the 80's). Hmmm, AC/DC's TNT and Back in Black, Nirvana's Nevermind, and a Deep Purple live album. He and 4 of his mates are taking music at school next year and plan to form a rock band - those albums were what he chose from hundreds to get song ideas.... says something.

Now that is Rock and Roll History happening! The hall of fame is just a place. It is the new generation that keep the music alive. There is a real revival in Swing dancing at universities right now. Those kids love to dress the part and boy do they have the moves!

It was a great idea. It started good. It became nothing but a bunch of people using it as their personal bank, like every other business in this country. The displays when we went in 2003 were just awful, nothing but Daltrey and Brittney Spears and Rod Stewart costumes. I think one of the Allmans Les Pauls was right next to all that stuff, they musta been proud. We thought it would have matured into a little more history, more of the ingredients, more interactivity with what it took to make R&R. Nope. Costumes.

And who got in and who didn't became this lame-o slap fight every year because my favorite band didn't get in and yours did. It was suggested at the start they not bother with all that fuss and just start putting bands in as their time came, but no, they thought it would be as big as the grammys and the emmys and the oscars and such. Sure, it's a big night for the people who run it, they have great dinner and champagne and just slap each other on the back about the trip they are all taking next month to start considerations for next year, prolly in Hawaii or something.

The building is beautiful.

Very disappointing and sorry I ever gave them a nickel.

rct

If the city of Cleveland had not built it, my city probably wouldn't have The Ravens right now [biggrin]

Exactly the right sentiments on display here in this post; induction to the sham that is the HoF means just below nothing, now. If you let any old rabble in, the prestige and honour is diluted to nothing.

I realize with music, genre can be hard to define.

But clearly, these guys do not know what Rock and Roll is, or what it used to be.

You have to have SOME adherence, or reverence, to the term "Rock and Roll", or an understanding of it to be able to define who is or should be a "hall of famer". As it is now, there is none.

I mean zilch. Nada. Not one bit of credibility.

So, to me, it means nothing at all if they do not recognize Yes, or any other deserving of credit. In fact, I kinda would feel bad for anyone put in the position of having to decide what to do if they were inducted.

Bingo.

I'm in the "Couldn't Care Less" crowd.

Archived