Gibson Brands Forums

New J-45

campfire1981

Good evening ladies and gents, been lurking for a while and am hoping that you guys can help me. Hey I love Gibson, this isn't a bash post by any means, I just want to know what happened to the rumble/body vibration I heard and felt at the store when I purchased my J-45 a week ago.

I head into the big guitar shop on boxing day without the family, left them at the inlaws, talked to the wife before that, saying Im going in to the city to get a new guitar, got the ok, life is great!! Looking for a new acoustic, Epipone Master built, noting particular in mind, maybe a Guild? Get into the shop and start looking, tried some gibson's, martin's, etc. Not looking at prices, just looking for something I can love. The guy was great, younger, but he helped, not pushy. I like the d-28, grabbed the J-45tv and ya was ok then I looked at the Standard J-45, first chord and I was a little excited, sat with it for quite a while, grabbed one of the rentals to see if I would like that even more and it didn't have it, tried the TV again and nope went with the Standard. It sounded so so sweet..... The guy shows me the case and sure lets go, i wasn't haggling, not my style and I just loved the guitar. Well ya know you get home play it, love it and then it starts sounding a little funky, start reading on the internet and get yourself worked up. What I first noticed was where is my warranty card from Gibson (From Canada if that makes a difference) I have the original receipt and warranty card for my 78 Les Paul Deluxe, my Junior. So go on the spec page and see, Blue Felt for the inside of the case, this is black..? Called Gibson 24/7 Service the next Day, Dec 27 and sent an email inquiring if the case should be Blue felt and with the warranty card, I hadn't heard anything back from them as of yet. I also called the store and the guy that answered said that he's the one that receives the guitars and undoxes, tags etc and he couldn't see how that could happen, then the sales guy said they sometime come in black, and since were are in Canada Gibson isn't giving warranty cards and putting the onus on the Seller for warranty. Not a quality control inspection card?? Yes I did get the free key chain and pick and strings. And since its the holidays I have to wait for the area purchaser to get back to work to hear back about the case and warranty card. But what happened to the GROWL!! Ive attached some pics, again I loved the guitar and now its hard to play and I am nit picking at the quality control with the nut not being perfect, saddle glue, truss rod cover not sitting flat.

I really did love this guitar, and I want to get that sound back and get what I paid for. Any thoughts, Heres some pics of my 78, I love that guitar. (edit, I guess you can only post up to .5mb) one pic and the J-45

Neck look a little straight, quite sharp on the 12th

Do I get them to set it up, hope the sound comes back, wait for the non original case and warranty card that I paid full price for, with tax 2800 and just roll over?

Take what I have to Bob G in Winnipeg and get him to do his magic which he did on a Martin of mine once a while back and void the warranty, and zen out and love what I have. Thinking life to short and If he can then whatever.

Just don't like getting rolled by big guitar. Thanks Guys

Oh and By no means did I mean Gibson when I said Big Guitar, Like I say I love my Junior and Deluxe and will give them to my daughter when she's strong enough to hold them!!!

Good evening ladies and gents, been lurking for a while and am hoping that you guys can help me. Hey I love Gibson, this isn't a bash post by any means, I just want to know what happened to the rumble/body vibration I heard and felt at the store when I purchased my J-45 a week ago.

I head into the big guitar shop on boxing day without the family, left them at the inlaws, talked to the wife before that, saying Im going in to the city to get a new guitar, got the ok, life is great!! Looking for a new acoustic, Epipone Master built, noting particular in mind, maybe a Guild? Get into the shop and start looking, tried some gibson's, martin's, etc. Not looking at prices, just looking for something I can love. The guy was great, younger, but he helped, not pushy. I like the d-28, grabbed the J-45tv and ya was ok then I looked at the Standard J-45, first chord and I was a little excited, sat with it for quite a while, grabbed one of the rentals to see if I would like that even more and it didn't have it, tried the TV again and nope went with the Standard. It sounded so so sweet..... The guy shows me the case and sure lets go, i wasn't haggling, not my style and I just loved the guitar. Well ya know you get home play it, love it and then it starts sounding a little funky, start reading on the internet and get yourself worked up. What I first noticed was where is my warranty card from Gibson (From Canada if that makes a difference) I have the original receipt and warranty card for my 78 Les Paul Deluxe, my Junior. So go on the spec page and see, Blue Felt for the inside of the case, this is black..? Called Gibson 24/7 Service the next Day, Dec 27 and sent an email inquiring if the case should be Blue felt and with the warranty card, I hadn't heard anything back from them as of yet. I also called the store and the guy that answered said that he's the one that receives the guitars and undoxes, tags etc and he couldn't see how that could happen, then the sales guy said they sometime come in black, and since were are in Canada Gibson isn't giving warranty cards and putting the onus on the Seller for warranty. Not a quality control inspection card?? Yes I did get the free key chain and pick and strings. And since its the holidays I have to wait for the area purchaser to get back to work to hear back about the case and warranty card. But what happened to the GROWL!! Ive attached some pics, again I loved the guitar and now its hard to play and I am nit picking at the quality control with the nut not being perfect, saddle glue, truss rod cover not sitting flat.

I really did love this guitar, and I want to get that sound back and get what I paid for. Any thoughts, Heres some pics of my 78, I love that guitar. (edit, I guess you can only post up to .5mb) one pic and the J-45

Do I get them to set it up, hope the sound comes back, wait for the non original case and warranty card that I paid full price for, with tax 2800 and just roll over?

Take what I have to Bob G in Winnipeg and get him to do his magic which he did on a Martin of mine once a while back and void the warranty, and zen out and love what I have. Thinking life to short and If he can then whatever.

Did you put the new strings on it?

Maybe that took the growl out ??

Maybe your playing it harder or softer now your in comfort of your own home ?

Different pick at the store ?

I did change them to my usual e-j16 because it didn't have the umph, for the sake of respect for the J-45 and the Ej-16's they just don't jive IMHO, Sounded thin, so I went back to the accessory pack Gibsons and it does sound better but lacking, The d and g tuning pegs feel like I need to work out more to tune, tougher to pay than originally. open tunings sound better. It is dry and the RH in the home and playing area in max 30% with the current humidifier I have for the house, I do use a humidifier in it when not playing. Which may have answered my question.

Possibly as I am quite timid and was playing quite softly as it was busy in the shop, but when I did open up the chords I felt my chest and stomach resonate with the back of the body and projected, my solid mahogany guild and martin dm just never felt like that....

All good possibilities, the picks are different though, nylon, same gauge and others available.

Aha. . . Well this brings up an older Q here whether the factory strings really are the Masterbuilts Bronze 80/20's, Bozeman claim they are.

A theme which made me do an unusual move some 18 months ago :

I simply went to the store and kindly asked if I could buy the set that was on the Gibson hanging on their wall.

Result = Believe it is, , , where other voices here have claimed the ones from the plant have a slight coating - like fx Taylors and Marts - to make them customer-resistant.

Anyway - there must have been a short period (maybe only 10 minutes) where you played the 45 back home. In other words, when did the disappointment occur ?

Are we talking psychological or acoustical factors here. . .

A square, but rational way to find out, would be to put on a third set of Masterbuilts (those in the case could be a couple of dull dogs) then return to the store and re-enact the exact same songs/playing in same position as when you fell in love.

Might appear pretty strange, but the guys there will understand - they are used to sensitive sonic weirdos (or should be).

I sincerely hope you reconnect as the love at first sight scene seems to have been so convincing and real and because the right J-45 is a scoop to bring home.

Keep us reported, campfire. Happy New Year

Never underestimate the power of post-purchase dissonance; that's a good sum of money just laid out, and you have a right to have your reservations, nothing new there.

Much agreement here with regards to the sound of the guitar in the shop sounding different. The sympathetic vibrations of 30+ guitars hanging in the irregularly shaped high-end room can do a good job of throwing the ear off of the trail. Also- you're showing humidity at home in the 30%'s? Once levels drop below 40% RH, the "You have been warned" light goes on. Many of the high-end demo rooms are smaller, and humidification is at an overkill level, easily, and downright stuffy, in the 60's.

Mr Em7- did you actually ask to buy the strings right off of the guitar that was hanging on the wall? That's a good one. Just when I thought I was the strange one for bringing a reference guitar in for comparisons. And what were your findings? The OP did change to EJ-16's, which are bright before they settle down. And certainly brighter than the strings on a guitar in a shop such as a J-45, which is an easy target for a thrashing.

Gibson does have a storied history for, let's call them "build anomalies", and there's little doubt that these flaws are easier to find than on another brand of guitar (M). But you walked out the door with this guitar, as well as the case it was in. Not to excuse attention to detail (or lack thereof), but a Gibson guitar is a different mindset than the sterile others. When that matches that of your own, good sounds will happen.

With complaints like the neck is too straight, nut is cut wrong, there's saddle glue, the truss rod cover isn't sitting flat and the guitar is sharp at the 12th, you maybe should've passed. . On top of all that now you don't like this sound. Sounds like a return.

OTOH, this time of year I would be checking the environment, which can play with the wood, strings and other parts. I'm assuming at least the higher end guitars were in a climate controlled room. So my question is - what's the environment like in your home?

Send it back... first off.. 2800 for a j45? is way to much. lots of better guitars out there for that money than a J45... as for the warranty card.. Yorkville removes those as were entitled only to a 1 year warranty on Gibson new Guitars.. not a life time. as for the case.. that should be a original included with the guitar ..L+M always.. other gibson outlets try to sell those separate.. reason .. 350.00 in there pocket more. they give you a 90.00 case that looks close..

as for fit and Finish on what I seen so far in the Gibson line.. ,, They really suck.. volume , mass , and Money over quality..

Ya loved the resonance in the shop, sounded great! Just lost some sustain and creaminess while playing. Like I said the humidity is hovering around 30 and that can probably make a difference, and I do keep a humidifier in the case when not in use, which isn't very often. Its out all the time. Ya quality control, little things here and their fine no problem, hand built, I get it I really do.

the Guitar is loud, don't get me wrong, looking for the loud with the soul and playability that It had when I purchased it. It has just gotten progressively harder to play, nothing crazy, just buzzes and shorter sustain and not in 10 Minutes after coming home. Been with it everyday for hours a day this past week.

No input on the Neck picture? Hows it look?

Regarding the quality control, maybe I should of passed but I went in their with ears and that was all. I didn't need to look at the details and was going off sound, and feel. S*&t if the D-28 or the J-45TV sounded better to me for another 1000 I would of walked out with one of those. Im just nit picking now because the warmth has turned cool like my old martin.

Ya loved the resonance in the shop, sounded great! Just lost some sustain and creaminess while playing. Like I said the humidity is hovering around 30 and that can probably make a difference, and I do keep a humidifier in the case when not in use, which isn't very often. Its out all the time. Ya quality control, little things here and their fine no problem, hand built, I get it I really do.

the Guitar is loud, don't get me wrong, looking for the loud with the soul and playability that It had when I purchased it. It has just gotten progressively harder to play, nothing crazy, just buzzes and shorter sustain and not in 10 Minutes after coming home. Been with it everyday for hours a day this past week.

Regarding the quality control, maybe I should of passed but I went in their with ears and that was all. I didn't need to look at the details and was going off sound, and feel. S*&t if the D-28 or the J-45TV sounded better to me for another 1000 I would of walked out with one of those. Im just nit picking now because the warmth has turned cool like my old martin.

Humidity up here should be more..minimum 44% with a minimum of 20C .. Im not sure where your at.. but in calgary here its dry.. guitars in my house stay in there cases and away from cold walls and floors..

as for fit and Finish on what I seen so far in the Gibson line.. ,, They really suck.. volume , mass , and Money over quality..

Not sure what Gibsons you are looking at. My Bozeman Gibsons are beautifully built, play great, and sound great.

Maybe Gibsons aren't the guitars for you.

Not sure what Gibsons you are looking at. My Bozeman Gibsons are beautifully built, play great, and sound great.

Maybe Gibsons aren't the guitars for you.

I own many Fairly New Gibson acoustics up till 2008. which I bought all new.. the last one was a 2013 Rosewood J100 maple burst..this would be my last purchase of a Gibson acoustic.. I was a big supporter of the Bozeman Gibsons..

New ones I have no interest in at all. .. so you right, new Gibsons are not for me..

Here in Fort mcmurray mine stay in the cases as well. A lot of guitars seem to sound better in the shop imo. When you play that small acoustic room comes to life. Don't quote me on this but I think the black lining in the case is a standard this year.

The room you're playing in can make a significant difference - size of the room, distance from walls, furniture, etc. Play in different parts of the house & see what happens. And keep experimenting with string options during your return period.

As for the neck, having one that's dead-on straight is great as a starting point. Just dial in a little relief.

The case should be the original blue one (unless specs have changed), but they're just average cases anyway.

Bottom-line: If the tone & playability don't grab you, return it.

IF that's 2800 Canadian it's right in the ball park for price.

2800 Canadian Dollar equals

2021.16 US Dollar

Yes, not terrible for a new J-45 from an authorized dealer, especially considering the mention of...

i wasn't haggling, not my style and...

A difference in humidity levels from the danger level of low 30's to comfy mid 40's can have a huge difference in playability and sound. The top "puffs up" upon hydration, changing the height of the strings off of the fretboard. A top sinks down when it's dry, and be a cause of fret buzz. It's measurable, and it can be significant.

2800 Canadian Dollar equals

2021.16 US Dollar

Yes, not terrible for a new J-45 from an authorized dealer, especially considering the mention of...

A difference in humidity levels from the danger level of low 30's to comfy mid 40's can have a huge difference in playability and sound. The top "puffs" up upon hydration, changing the height of the strings off of the fretboard. A top sinks down when it's dry, and be a cause of fret buzz. It's measurable, and it can be significant.

Thats what Im looking for, thanks for a brief explanation of what could potential be happening, Im thinking maybe the same, after I leave it in the case over night its pretty rounded first thing then will progressively get thinner. Thanks for the help

As for the black case, serial says its a 2014 so thinking it should be the blue felt.

If you're noticing that it sounds good when you first take it out of the case, then it's likely that you need to better humidify the room (if there's a rug, maybe remove it). You could also be getting ear fatigue as the day goes on, depending on how much you're playing it.

If the sound is close to what you remember, chances are that's what the guitar sounds like in your home vs. an acoustically treated and strategic room. I'd think your purchase should include a professional set-up to get it how you like it. A set-up is a must on all guitars. You'd be amazed at what a good luthier can do for your guitar. Should the pro set-up at the shop underwhelm you, you might want to ask around to find out who the local magician is. They're out there.

Best of luck.

Good Morning from the UK I bought my. J45 Standard in June last year and I am totally delighted . I received the following with the guitar . My guitar was out of the box in a Blue fur lined case

A pack with a spare set of Masterbuilt PB strings A key fob A pick A warranty folder showing a check list signed by quality control complete with playing action measurements in line with factory specs A cleaning cloth

You mentioned that the D and G string tuners need a bit more turning to tune , mine are the same , but don't forget the angle of these strings on the headstock they will need a bit more movement from the tuners

Yes my guitar does have a few minor issues as follows

The finish is not 100% flat I had to polish the frets and oil the fretboard and lube the nut

I always. Keep my guitar in the case I always use Gibson strings I noticed a big difference with other brands I always stay to 12 - 53 string gauge

One thing a did do once home for the first few weeks was stand the guitar in front of a loud hi fi speaker for s few hours a day whilst listening to music to let the air pressure into the body of the guitar

On a quality set up issue I did take the guitar to my tech for him to have a look at , he was impressed with the factory setup and told me to play the guitar for a few months before rushing into a setup straight away .

Would I buy another Gibson Acoustic , yes a nice Hummingbird TV would be a good friend to the J45

Good luck with your guitar

Thanks for all the help guys, will be getting a larger humidifier for the space that I play in as that sounds like could be making the huge difference. I asked about the set up when I purchased and he said when its time to change the first set of strings thats when I get the setup, I live 250 kms from them. Thinking in my head, what am I doing but damn I love the sound of this guitar and left the store. Will take it in this week and see what L&M says where I got it then head over to one of the two luthiers that have worked on my stuff before and see if they can tune it up if Im not satisfied with L&M.

Thanks for all the help guys, will be getting a larger humidifier for the space that I play in as that sounds like could be making the huge difference. I asked about the set up when I purchased and he said when its time to change the first set of strings thats when I get the setup, I live 250 kms from them. Thinking in my head, what am I doing but damn I love the sound of this guitar and left the store. Will take it in this week and see what L&M says where I got it then head over to one of the two luthiers that have worked on my stuff before and see if they can tune it up if Im not satisfied with L&M.

Hi.. you have 90 days from the time of purchase to return to L&M. thats there policy.. if you don't like what you have.. and there should be no restock or anytime of rental charge... btw.. that Gibson case should of been included in your purchase .. not a after market case.. ..just remember.. any one else touches the guitar .. you loose your warranty.. only a Gibson warranty tech via L&M..

Mr Em7- did you actually ask to buy the strings right off of the guitar that was hanging on the wall? That's a good one. Just when I thought I was the strange one for bringing a reference guitar in for comparisons. And what were your findings?

Yes I did, , , and a couple of days later bought the whole guitar - a marvellous Bird.

As said, the strings might be the same, but the entire experiment in its totality isn't over yet.

Simply because it has taken some time to get Masterbuilts Bronze and therefore only could A/B with MB Ph. Bronze for a while. Stand by

If this is a psychological thing, it might take quite a journey to get over it.

The more you change the original state of the 45, the higher risk of getting lost in a maze of confusion.

If you want to re-find what you heard in the shop, keep it simple (down to strings and degree of string-fade).

If you intend to meet and accept the guitar on another not yet known/found frequency, expect a bit of a trip.

Regarding the third pic, the fretboard seems pretty even, but the reflection in the neck sails.

Best winds to you

Archived