Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Static and Pops

Gspspinone

I had the same problem with my 2014 Les Paul Studio Pro. After trying everything suggested by folks on the forum and spending a couple of trips to the dealer I ended up sending it to the Gibson factory. They replaced the guitar with no explanation. Same problem with the new one but not as bad. Lived with it a couple of years and eventually discovered that cleaning the guitar frequently pretty much kept the problem in check. A month ago I traded it off for a 2016 LP Traditional T. Guess what. Same problem. Back to the cleaner and learning to live with it. I am convinced it's a combination of various factors starting with the finish and then humidity, room and god knows what else. Having said all that, still love the guitar. Go figure.

I had a similar issue with my 2004 Studio when I first purchased it. There was a buzz that would go away if I touched the bridge. Sometimes I would just move a certain way when I had it strapped on, and the best way I can describe it would be the sound of a creaky door when opened. :-k Someone suggested to me at the time that it might be the plastic cover for the posts on the back building up static.

These things were mildly annoying to me, but the guitar played so nicely and sounded so good I just dealt with it. After all, it made no difference when I was actually playing music. It was only when I was standing there not playing anything when I would notice it. I could always temporarily turn the volume knob down. When I would jam with friends or play gigs, there was usually enough other noises around to drown out a slight buzzing from my guitar.

Long story short. It wasn't that big a deal to me to override my enjoyment of a guitar that I otherwise loved playing. It eventually went away, or I just stopped noticing it.

Playing guitar means dealing with noise. The more gain you like the more noise. The more vintage your taste the more noise.

Buy this... less noise.

DecimatorV2-large.jpg

The static noise on the back of the neck will not go away with any noise reduction pedal or noise gate and it seems louder with less gain the volume on the guitar will not help either ins in the the finish of the guitar not ground not pickup the nitro finish it self I read about a guy that sanded his neck to bare wood to get rid of this problem , which is way over the top for a brand new USA made guitar there is a major problem here no easy fix I had to buy a 2001 to have a Gibson without this problem good luck !

The static noise on the back of the neck will not go away with any noise reduction pedal or noise gate and it seems louder with less gain the volume on the guitar will not help either ins in the the finish of the guitar not ground not pickup the nitro finish it self I read about a guy that sanded his neck to bare wood to get rid of this problem , which is way over the top for a brand new USA made guitar there is a major problem here no easy fix I had to buy a 2001 to have a Gibson without this problem good luck !

The static pops from the finish will go away if you'll just play the guitar a while. No need to sand the finish off the guitar. Capsmaster has already explained this. All the other little buzzing and humming will go away with a noise gate.

The static pops from the finish will go away if you'll just play the guitar a while. No need to sand the finish off the guitar. Capsmaster has already explained this. All the other little buzzing and humming will go away with a noise gate.

Ok good luck to you

Maybe its you I was down NH and it didn't happen to me. Just came from there I know Jeff and Billy a looonng time. Jeff is one the better techs in the state. Billy been playing 50 years out. Maybe you have some extra body protons or electrons, possibly radioactive, did you get a checkout at the DR?

Only joking [biggrin] Wheres Cap at he has to know something about this. I think its just the difference in the Gibson pups and for example the Epi.

Better guitars do that! [thumbup]

Maybe its you I was down NH and it didn't happen to me. Just came from there I know Jeff and Billy a looonng time. Jeff is one the better techs in the state. Billy been playing 50 years out. Maybe you have some extra body protons or electrons, possibly radioactive, did you get a checkout at the DR?

Only joking [biggrin] Wheres Cap at he has to know something about this. I think its just the difference in the Gibson pups and for example the Epi.

Better guitars do that! [thumbup]

I actually was getting paranoid, that's why I had different sales staff members try the guitars and the same static issue occurred with them too. Guitar center gibsons had the same issue. I recently purchased a used Gibson SG 61 from a mom and pop (special run made for guitar center),,,,no static, go figure.

BRW, still waiting on a response from Gibson customer service!

... I recently purchased a used Gibson SG 61 from a mom and pop (special run made for guitar center),,,,no static, go figure.

As I said before, after about two years after manufacturing (or latest refinishing) the static problem will be gone. How old is your used SG, if I may be so bold to ask?

Well good luck with the guitars. I don't know much of Gibson returning emails, they use to be real good a year or so ago but I haven't had a cause to email them of late. Was a spanish fellow named Manny I think who I spoke to many times, quick response no issue, nice guy. Maybe he retired and someone new is there. No idea.

I know PEOPLE can become magnetized, as I have on occasion.

I can remember working in the rain with cords and electricity, and getting buzzed all day. My arms would ache. One pass with a bulk tape eraser would make it go away, instantly.

As I said before (maybe a different thread?), in winter, walking on carpet all day, every now and again would get shocked on a doorknob. Got it the habit of giving it a quick swipe to get the shock before I grabbed it, just so it wouldn't hurt as much. Once I got the spark out of the way, wouldn't get a shock.

Or how about cats? I used to have this fat kitty that used to sit on my lap, and would pet him until he was all full of static and make cracking noises like a spider web, and be all matted up and such.

The guitar that started this whole issue was a 2013 Les Paul Traditional that had major static and electrical issues...

Trust me be happy you found one that works for you and your not crazy there is a big problem that people don't want to talk about , but after paying that kind of money for a guitar you should not have to wait anytime for a problem to go away there should not be one to begin with !!!!!!

The guitar that started this whole issue was a 2013 Les Paul Traditional that had major static and electrical issues...

[blush] Sorry, I overlooked that. This is indeed a bit strange. Static issues should be long gone to my experiences.

Trust me be happy you found one that works for you and your not crazy there is a big problem that people don't want to talk about , but after paying that kind of money for a guitar you should not have to wait anytime for a problem to go away there should not be one to begin with !!!!!!

Everything brand-new has its bells and whistles.

I got used to the fact that even digital high-tech gear like my Apogee Big Ben Master Clock using direct digital synthesis called for a burning-in period. It took ten days of 24 hours operation in 2011 until it worked properly. In case it is turned off for several weeks, it needs at least several hours of continuous operation again.

Fortunately my guitars and basses are always ready for instant use! [thumbup][biggrin]

Duuuuuuuuuuuudddddddddddeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! [rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

Lighten up, man. The newer the Gibson, the dryer the air, and the more susceptible YOU are to static, the more it's going to build up static when you rub it. All new Gibsons will do this given the right conditions. It's not a defect at all. It's the nature of the fresh nitrocellulose finish, which is a top notch finish. It's NOT a Gibson Customer Service issue and the store should have educated you on it.

Sam Ash probably has nice fresh new guitars and this time of year in your part of the country the temp and humidity are all over the place. You can buy an older guitar or find one in a shop that has been sitting around. Or buy a guitar with a polyurethane finish.

But don't think that there's something wrong. You need to understand what's going on and keep your guitar out of the case or sitting in an open case for awhile so the finish can cure. Wipe it down, don't oil the fretboard too much. If you wipe the neck with a dryer sheet when you play, clean it off afterward with a moist rag. Keep the whole guitar clean so it can cure. It can't do that when there's oil or sweat on it. Keep it airing out some but don't put it right in front of a vent or anything like that.

The reason that they all are like that at Sam Ash is because they have fresh guitars and they are all consistent. Kind of a nice probelem to have to deal with.

[thumbup]

• 11 months later...

I just bought a new 2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard T and am experiencing the same problem with electrical pops and crackles. It happens when I touch the screws that hold the rear covers and run my hand up and down the neck and rear of the body. This is pretty frustrating when it happens with a high end instrument like this. I'm waiting to hear back from the retailer.

I just bought a new 2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard T and am experiencing the same problem with electrical pops and crackles. It happens when I touch the screws that hold the rear covers and run my hand up and down the neck and rear of the body. This is pretty frustrating when it happens with a high end instrument like this. I'm waiting to hear back from the retailer.

It's just nitro being nitro.. I have 5 gibby electrics, they all did it at one time or another, the more the finished cured, the less they did it.

the dry climate during the winter months and nitro is just a magnet for static electricity.

it will wear off over time and depending one where you are, once a . Try a "used once dryer sheet" to rub down the back of the neck sometimes that helps a lot.

• 2 years later...

I had the same problem on my Les Paul Classic.  The pick guard was clicking here and there against the body while playing and so I read that my hand or pinky was generating static against it. So I removed the pick guard.  Strangely enough, static and crackling is gone...

Edited by JackG

On 2/27/2016 at 4:21 PM, Gspspinone said:

I tried the dryer sheet again...nothing. If I rub the wood body of the guitar, near the controls and behind the stop tail the guitar sizzles and busses just like on the neck, if I rub the large plastic pick guard I get no noise... The rear control plate is also very loud.

I know this isn't the $2000 LP but it's still a $1200 guitar and how any of these guitars are acceptable for sale is beyond me...despite loving the playability of the SG (almost as much as the LP, and more than my Tele) I think am going to return it.

I don't get why this isn't a larger consumer issue???

Long story short: store is Sam Ash in CT, guitar was Gibson LP T, with "static" issues had, returned it, got another LP T and this one had same issue only worse as this one also had a grounding issue that would cut out all the electronics on the guitar and cause serious feedback...returned it. A sales associate and I went though every LP in the shop, from Studio Faded to Custom Shop and in between...they all had static, every last one! We tried a bunch of Fenders (Teles and Strats)...no static. We tried a bunch of Epiphone Les Pauls...no static. I finally settled on a Gibson SG Stsndard that seemed "less staticky" with the agreement that if it didn't dissipate in a week is return it...3 days in and the static is growing daily.

I've wiped down with the dryer sheets with no benefit (the Les Pauls too, btw). I've switched cords, outlets, rooms...no change. I have a Fender Tele that works just fine, no static.

So, is this a Gibson QC is a issue? I don't know...but how can EVERY guitar of one brand have the same issue and no guitars of every other brand not have any issues IN THE SAME STORE? I stopped at two mom and pop shops locally who had a few used LP's... None of those had the static issue. (One was a T but had a repaired headstock and the other shop had some Standards but they were a little too pricey...just to answer the inevitable "why didn't you buy one of those from the M&P).

As an aside, I can tell you that Gibson customer service sucks...I've called them 4 times now...left 4 messages after long hold time( the system keeps prompting to leave a vm due to high call volume) with no return call. Also sent two emails...no responses.

So, I scrimped and saved for the past year to buy a Gibson Les Paul...sold one of my other guitars (a Strat) to help fund it as well and when none of them in the shop work as they're supposed to I settle on another Gibson product (stupid me) that also doesn't work and Gibson can't return my calls or emails?

Long story short: store is Sam Ash in CT, guitar was Gibson LP T, with "static" issues had, returned it, got another LP T and this one had same issue only worse as this one also had a grounding issue that would cut out all the electronics on the guitar and cause serious feedback...returned it. A sales associate and I went though every LP in the shop, from Studio Faded to Custom Shop and in between...they all had static, every last one! We tried a bunch of Fenders (Teles and Strats)...no static. We tried a bunch of Epiphone Les Pauls...no static. I finally settled on a Gibson SG Stsndard that seemed "less staticky" with the agreement that if it didn't dissipate in a week is return it...3 days in and the static is growing daily.

I've wiped down with the dryer sheets with no benefit (the Les Pauls too, btw). I've switched cords, outlets, rooms...no change. I have a Fender Tele that works just fine, no static.

So, is this a Gibson QC is a issue? I don't know...but how can EVERY guitar of one brand have the same issue and no guitars of every other brand not have any issues IN THE SAME STORE? I stopped at two mom and pop shops locally who had a few used LP's... None of those had the static issue. (One was a T but had a repaired headstock and the other shop had some Standards but they were a little too pricey...just to answer the inevitable "why didn't you buy one of those from the M&P).

As an aside, I can tell you that Gibson customer service sucks...I've called them 4 times now...left 4 messages after long hold time( the system keeps prompting to leave a vm due to high call volume) with no return call. Also sent two emails...no responses.

So, I scrimped and saved for the past year to buy a Gibson Les Paul...sold one of my other guitars (a Strat) to help fund it as well and when none of them in the shop work as they're supposed to I settle on another Gibson product (stupid me) that also doesn't work and Gibson can't return my calls or emails?

.BTW, Gibson customer service still hasn't contacted me by email or phone.

Bro, whoever told you to use the DRYER SHEETS, just make note of who it is, and never consider anything that person say's as anything approaching good advice.

GIBSON USA has stopped SHIELDING their Guitars, although I think some 2018 & 2019 USA Model's are being painted again. Until GIBSON USA starts SHIELDING their Guitars again, this problem is going to persist. You will hear a lot of things from a lot of people. BUT, I am telling you straight-up...the Guitar needs to be SHIELDED, unless there is an underlying problem/issue. If the Guitar is not defective electronically and is wired correctly & everything is the way it is supposed to be.........

Just SHIELD the Guitar, buy some Copper-Shielding tape and get to work. Pick-Up Cavities/Runway's and Toggle-Switch Cavities and then Plug-In and see if the problem still persists. IF so, SHIELD the Control Pocket Assembly as well. A Faraday's Box should not be necessary. If you are not confident doing it yourself (there is not much to it really) it will cost less than $150 to fully SHIELD any Guitar, most likely less....$100.......

IME, it has been the Toggle-Switch Cavity that needed to be SHIELDED, YMMV......

• 4 months later...

I just bought a 2018 Les Paul traditional that has static and buzzing and I totally fix the problem by lining the pick up switch area and the volume and pot area with copper tape plus the inside of the covers with copper tape absolutely the quietest guitar I’ve ever own now it works make sure you do the sides and the bottom plus the jack hole also make sure the copper tape comes all the way over the inner lip so when the cover is put back on the copper touches the copper on the inside of covers the tape I purchased on amazon $16 bucks 

Edited by Rocking Roddy
Spelling

• 1 year later...

Hello to all.

Just a thought about the static and popping problem. I had the exact same symptoms on my 2016 LP Classic. Very bummed out! However, after trying the waxing & humdifying tricks, to no avail. Didn't feel like trying the dryer sheets. Soooo,  as a last resort I figured it couldn't hurt to try cleaning the pots. I sprayed CRC electronic contact cleaner inside each with the red tube, kept spinning the knobs  & guess what? Hey, presto, static sounding problem gone!

The next day there was a bit of it back, so I did it again. She sounds great now. I'm going to get a can of compressed air so that I can spray them out really good next time I clean them. Maybe a bit of junk still in there.

Not saying this is your problem, but it's worth a shot.

Super happy! This LP is my absolute fave solid body. I am not worthy of such a great instrument but I will strive to be so. A truly substantial axe!

Rock on,

Dave in the Adirondacks 🤠