Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Gibson J-45 Standard VS

Rev Roy

As many of you know, just a few months ago I bought my first Gibson - a J-15. Loved it. Sloped-shoulder/short scale/Gibson growl. What's not to love. But last week I boxed it up and my Guild (GAD) F-130ce and shipped them off to Bozeman.

Ended up that the J-15 was the gateway drug that got me hooked on Gibson. And I was jonesing bad for a J-45.

On a retired preacher's pay I can't afford to have more than two high-end guitars. So I had to give up two for one - and a bit of cash - to land the Workhorse. Got a good deal - and fair trade-in values - from Music Villa. And Paul did the setup for me based on the specs I gave him and what I told him about my playing style.

It arrived today and what a beauty...in looks and tone. Between the short scale and great setup job, it's a joy to play. And you gotta love the cool wooden pick holder Paul threw in. :D

Thanks for the great guitar and customer service, Paul!

3942dab2a4ff6c3b49261a5fc25079ab_zpsezcctish.jpg

883b99f2484d37018c9ed5069dc05463_zps8ly60sai.jpg

902c6be0f09cf51ce0746b188d9e11c0_zpsxxrvnzdj.jpg

Probably on the acoustic top 3 in this world.

So simple - so sublime. And these black nuts 'new ones' carry the tradition further in the finest manner.

Worth noticing that not only have the guard changed place recently, it has also gone from bevelled to softly curved. Wonder if they are thicker too - think so.

Be glad - you are on horseback

P.S. - my 2010 needed several years before the lacquer finally dried.

Especially in the summer it got so greasy one thought a Kentucky Fried Chicken was involved.

Probably on the acoustic top 3 in this world.

So simple - so sublime. And these black nuts 'new ones' carry the tradition further in the finest manner.

Worth noticing that not only have the guard changed place recently, it has also gone from bevelled to softly curved. Wonder if they are thicker too - think so.

Be glad - you are on horseback

P.S. - my 2010 needed several years before the lacquer finally dried.

Especially in the summer it got so greasy one thought a Kentucky Fried Chicken was involved.

My 2010 took a long while to find itself!

But now! Phew.

Congratulations!

BluesKing777.

Wait a few months for that nitro finish to harden, you won't believe the difference it makes!

Yep. The finish is definitely a bit greasy. If I'm reading the serial # right the guitar is less than two months old. Makes sense that a 5-star dealer just three miles from the plant would have fresh guitars. Plays and sounds great already...so any future improvement is only gravy.

I'm not the only one who loves the tone. First time my wife heard me strumming the 45 she stopped in her tracks and said, "Wow! That's so beautiful and warm." [thumbup]

Archived