Gibson Brands Forums

FYI Humidification

the other side

I made my own humidifier for my J200. A sponge in a travel soap dish. Works like a charm, and practically free. Every couple weeks I check the sponge, and sprinkle a little water on it. Keeps the neck straight and its always in tune. Then again for what they cost it SHOULD be in tune...LOL

I made my own humidifier for my J200. A sponge in a travel soap dish. Works like a charm, and practically free. Every couple weeks I check the sponge, and sprinkle a little water on it. Keeps the neck straight and its always in tune. Then again for what they cost it SHOULD be in tune...LOL

Exactly what I do. I bought a travel soap dish and drilled 2 holes with a spade bit at each end and cut 2 sponges to shape of dish. Total cost maybe a 2 bucks from Walmart

I'm all for DIY and saving money...but it amazes me that the technology exist (with the two way systems) to maintain a constant target of 45-50% humidity, yet some of you opt to save $18 and use the home wet sponge method for you $3,000.00-$5,000.00 Gibsons. ????

I sleep easy knowing my guitar is right in the target zone, and don't need to remember to wet my sponge once a week. My wallet doesn't miss the extra $40-$60 it costs each year.

It also should be noted that the sponge method can cause over humidicfication and that's just as bad as drying out....

Not tying to bash anyone who does the homemade thing, hats off to you....just trying to put it into perspective. I.E., the money we spend on these babies up front to buy them...vs the money to properly maintain them....that's all....

Carry on!

I'm all for DIY and saving money...but it amazes me that the technology exist (with the two way systems) to maintain a constant target of 45-50% humidity, yet some of you opt to save $18 and use the home wet sponge method for you $3,000.00-$5,000.00 Gibsons. ????

I sleep easy knowing my guitar is right in the target zone, and don't need to remember to wet my sponge once a week. My wallet doesn't miss the extra $40-$60 it costs each year.

It also should be noted that the sponge method can cause over humidicfication and that's just as bad as drying out....

Not tying to bash anyone who does the homemade thing, hats off to you....just trying to put it into perspective. I.E., the money we spend on these babies up front to buy them...vs the money to properly maintain them....that's all....

Carry on!

I have a humidor that is calibrated in my case and it is consistently at 47% every day I open my case. I have other store bought humidifiers also, but I can achieve the same thing with this method. Plus I have a humidifier tied into my heat and air system which is always on and giving me moisture in the air

I have a humidor that is calibrated in my case and it is consistently at 47% every day I open my case. I have other store bought humidifiers also, but I can achieve the same thing with this method. Plus I have a humidifier tied into my heat and air system which is always on and giving me moisture in the air

Touché 😀

I have the PW packs.

I bought some spare parts when I bought the packs, but haven't had to use a refill yet - the weather where I live is the classic "Don't like the weather, come back in half an hour!!!" Lousy for walking on the beach sometimes, great for the PW Humidity packs because they are 'recharging' themselves a lot. The packs absorb humidity over 45% and shed humidity under that...to keep things level.

People that live in dry arid areas complain they need to replace the packs a lot. [cursing]

No water drips from a sponge.

Works so far - about a year and a half.... the fill with water types I had are going hard in the box. [mellow]

BluesKing777.

I am mainly speaking of the pack holders ( sleeves for the packets ) instead of the Daddario new packet holder. The packets themselves (2 way) humidification system are the same. (Boveda just made the packets for the holders) . Now boveda has made the fabric sleeves like I bought a year or two ago.

There were complaints about the change of the sleeve holders.

I bought the original DD two way system about six months ago after trying my friends for a week . When I opened the box I was disappointed with the construction of the sealing system for the pouch ( it was made of hard sharp plastic ) that was not going to go near my J45 or any other guitar .I contacted Bovida by email and told them about my concerns . Two weeks later free of charge in the post arrived a complete repacment with soft pouches X 2 and three new pouches . I now use 1x pouch under the headstock and 1x pouch in the case by the heel of the guitar . Have I noticed any difference , yes , the action has remained constant on my J45 the neck has remained straight and the strings believe it or not do not discolour as much . The pouches have lasted for about five months now and are still ok . One tip always close the case when you have the guitar in use as the pouches will die quite quickly with the room humidity open to the case . Finally I also use a GSMini e a lot in a cold church most Sunday's and this guitar had a very small split in the top close to the edge about 5mm in lenth , after using the double pouch in this guitars sound hole for a month the split has closed right up . I personally would always use these as it takes all the guesswork away rolleyes.gif

I've been using the tubes (dampits) and I also did what Bill did, a soap traveler with holes drilled in it. I use those under the head stock.

they improved the Oasis products, looks to be pretty good.

I might ordered a sound hole and a case clip for the next dry season, (spring here now, still cold but these are just about done for now,)

Kaiser Bill has the right idea. I use a kitchen sponge in a sandwich bag...punch holes in the sandwich bag. Cheap, and it works better than any other device that I've seen.

I live in NE Illinois and I've used those (inexpensive but effective) black plastic, encased clay element Herco 'Guardfather' case humidifiers in my guitar cases for more than twenty years. You can purchase these little guys for just a few dollars each. I use just one humidifier per case and I humidify eight instruments using these. Now I've tried those 'sound hole humidifiers' and 'tube' type gizmos...but greatly disliked the risk of leaking water droplets staining the exterior finish around sound holes, the interior woodwork or the paper sound hole labels...especially on my acoustics. The 'Herco' cylinder humidifiers are, as already mentioned...inexpensive, dependable and they will last for many years. (Some of mine are over twenty years old and yet still do an ace job protecting sensitive, pricey acoustic guitars.)

These 'Herco' guitar case humidifiers come with only two holes on the top cover...so I add six more holes on each humidifier, using a small hand drill...(in order to augment the humidification during the long, dry heating season here.) I place each humidifier inside the guitar case, near the point where the guitar neck joins the body on my acoustic and hollow body electric guitars. I install the humidifiers beginning the first week in November and remove them the first week of the following May, each and every year. During this 'humidifier season'...once, every two weeks (every other Saturday afternoon)... I remove the humidifiers, pop-open the lids and immerse all of them in a large bowl of water for about ten minutes...then dry any 'excess' water on top of both the clay element itself and each plastic humidifier case with paper towels, before re-installing them in the guitar cases. Guess what? No more hassles, positioning moisture-laden gizmos or tubes inside sound holes and then hoping there's no 'leakage'...(to later regret.)

For more than TWENTY YEARS these simple, inexpensive gadgets have done the job wonderfully and my acoustics look and play perfectly, year after year. No damage ever, to exterior finishes or interior 'woodwork'...DEPENDABLE! The total investment in keeping my guitar collection adequately humidified in my climate, over this long period comes to less than forty dollars...(or just under five bucks for each instrument.) My guitar collection lives well with such cheap, reliable protection!

Very inexpensive...mega-simple to remove, re-charge and re-install...and they perform their intended function, as I expect.

Sorry about that. I am referring to the packet sleeve holders, not the packets themselves. In my very first post I mentioned the daddario's new design for the packet holders which a lot of people do not like. I found the "Boveda Saddlebags" (packet holders only) much like the original planet waves/Daddario holders before the change of design. Dadarrio does not sell the boveda saddlebags (boveda does via Amazon). If you Google boveda saddlebags you will see what I'm speaking of and then compare it to the new dadarrio design. I just rwcieved mine from boveda the other day and they are excellent.

I have a few guitars and find it a drag to humidify each in the cases, so I found a solution that has worked for about three years now. I have a small walk in closet where I keep all guitars in their cases. This closet has a small radiator that is just enough to keep it warm in the cold Swedish winters.

I put a tray with water below the radiator and then hang a towel over the radiator with the ends into the water. By adjusting the heat of the radiator, I can control the humidity level. The towel will slowly soak up the water and the heat will help dispere it into the space. In the winter, I fill the tray with about three liters of water each week. It is very easy to monitor the humidity and once the towel is dry I pour in more water. Takes anout thirty seconds a week.

Lars

By the way, beware of the Kyser soundhole humidifiers. The vinyl on one of those melted the finish on a guitars I had a few years back. Since then, I let no plastic or vinyl of ANY kind touch my guitars, not even a product designed to protect the instrument like the Kyser. Lessoned learned!

i tried a new humidipak planet waves- boveda and got too nervous with paks of liquid like gel hanging in my gibby, I have high humidity and am surprised more people dont refer to this issue, Ive decided to live with it,like the world seems to have done previoisly....play on drummer- sing on brother....

Yep, like others I've learned long since...never trust anything holding moisture that inserts into a sound hole or has to be placed on the inside of a guitar.

...One single 'leakage incident' is sufficient instruction to that effect!

Archived