Gibson Brands Forums

The Space Between (and NGD - Country Western)

MorrisrownSal

Hey guys....

I traded my D35 for this Gibson Country Western. I like it. The looks are great (I like natural). The adjustable bridge sounds warm, and is easy to adjust action with. This CW has great bass, but is crisp. It's more tame than my D35, and it plays easier. It's lighter, and I like the setup and airiness of it. Also, the Baggs Lyric sounds awesome in my SA220, although I am not demonstrating that in this thread.

Gibson%20Country%20Western_zpsn1yktnke.jpg

I did demo the guitar to see how well it records with my voice. This is created using my iphone, garageband, and Shure MV5; hope you like the sound!

https://soundcloud.c...e-space-between

Excellent Sal. It just has that Gibson tone when you strum it. Melds perfectly with your vocals. Kind of a dry tone? In a very good way, though. Looks beautiful, too.

I think it's a Dave Mathews tune, Keith.

Thanks guys... I do like this better than my D35. So now... I am covered in Gibson Land - Country Western, J50, and LG2 American Eagle. My lone Martin is now the very excellent D15.

I am very pumped. I just like the jangle in this one.

I would have kept the D35, but I am sticking to a promise - the one in one out rule.

And yes Keith... Dave Mathews... I felt I needed to add something more recent than 1979 to my set :)

1465435148[/url]' post='1776378']

Very cool Sal. I've always wanted one of them.

Jalex... You win for best avatar picture. Should have said it a while ago. :)

And SC I will try to do a demo of the CW and J50 on Sunday. My J50 has Martin Retro monels on... Is it ok if I keep the CW strings that are on right now intact for the demo? I have plenty of Gibson strings and Retros; I'm just lazy about changing them.

Hey congratulations - how intriguing.

The guitar sounds good. Very light, elegant and 'airy'. A whole other deer than the 35 - more of a lady (if I may say so).

A good next step would be to get an adjustable bone insert as the first alternative.

Think it would add a bit more body - or center-point-weight (to use an abstract just invented term).

Don't know, but if it's the CW that makes you perform like you do here, the purchase is a unconditional success. One of your best.

Em7 - thank you. I'll look into alternative saddles once the guitar settles in. I may mess with strings first.

Grunt.. respectfully noted. As you know I move guitars around a tad. Nothing wrong with the D35. I do love the guitar. It's too much as a pick-strummer for my weaker-volume voice, but strummed with fingers, or fingerpicked, its a great guitar. I have a youtube of me somewhere trying Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head with the D35... and I love it in that way.

Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_oeJhERrLI

Is that a standard pickguard ?

It is - they more or less looked like that for under 20 years.

I see there's a strap button in what seems to be position 5.

Is this a second hand, played thus slightly broken in guitar ?

Tasty all round. Vocally that was quite a gymnastic workout, wasnt it Sal. Jumping around the parallel bars up and down, and different timings, but you did it well Sal. Good to see you're stretching yourself.

Guitar sounds very tasty, like it a lot. Gibson are just so easy and fun to play. Martins are great too but they just need that extra work and can be frustrating sometimes, especially the rosewood memebers

So is this a full circle for you Sal, didnt you start your Gibson journey with a CW, just to sell it and now get another one.

How does it compare with the original, do you remember still ?

And SC I will try to do a demo of the CW and J50 on Sunday. My J50 has Martin Retro monels on... Is it ok if I keep the CW strings that are on right now intact for the demo? I have plenty of Gibson strings and Retros; I'm just lazy about changing them.

Looking forward to the A/B no matter which strings are on what. Right now I'm enjoying a set of JP pure nickel lights on my J50.

Great guitar and great sound, Sal. .......Yeah, there's no logical "rhyme or reason" about this guitar stuff. We trade/sell one in order to acquire another, simply because we need it....lol.....Congrats, my friend. You and it sound real good.

Great guitar and great sound, Sal. .......Yeah, there's no logical "rhyme or reason" about this guitar stuff. We trade/sell one in order to acquire another, simply because we need it....lol.....

It would be good to rent them for 6 - 12 months to give them a good try, then...on to the next. Rent/Buy options?

Would Sal make it to a 3 months rental contract though? [biggrin]

I always liked the sound of the vintage C&W and that new one has 'that'

BluesKing777.

Archived