Gibson Brands Forums

Plant thorn arthritis. Any one have experience with this?

jannusguy2

I accidentally banged my hands into a cactus and now have arthritis symptoms that are restricting my playing due to stiffness, swelling and pain. 5 weeks of this with little or no change. Have seen a couple of doctors who don't seem to be too familiar with this affliction. Although one of them did diagnose it. Prescribed steroids which gave a bit of relief but nothing lasting. Regardless, having an MRI tomorrow to see if any plant matter remains in my hands. Hoping that's not the case as surgery is the only real option as remedy. Just thought I'd ask if there were any gardener types here that might have a bit of advice from experience. Thanks in advance. Plant thorn arthritis. Who'd a thunk it FFS... [cursing]

I really help a strong does of Steriods will decrease the chemical inflammation. There might be some natural remedy's out there that can remove the toxins that are in the tissue of your hand. I might ask about that. Keep moving your hand and fingers. The synovial fluid in thejoints of your fingers need to be moved around. I know it hurts but moving each finger bending and straightening the digits will help to prevent a contracture or complete locking of the joints in your fingers.

Not a gardener - however - mesquite thorns will produce similar symptoms. Soreness, stiffness, pain. If you extract the entire thorn early on, it'll likely subside over time. If it goes on for a while, heavy antibiotics should knock out the infection and steroids may help. Damn tough break/ sorry to hear this happened.

We know this gal who several years ago tripped and fell into a cactus she had at home. Landed on her arm and shoulder. She had lots of pain on that side of her body for several months. Don't know that it had anything to do with arthritis or if any toxin from the cactus quills caused arthritis-like symptoms. She talked about it a lot because it really bothered her. Eventually she was back-to-normal. That's been a good 4-5 years ago and we still see her every couple months and she's been fine and hasn't mentioned it for ages..........For what it's worth, I've read that it can take several months (depending on the plant) for all the cactus quills to finally either dissolve or work their way out. Lots of tiny quills can be far more difficult to deal with than large ones that are more easily seen. I hope your pain soon comes to an end.

If it happened to me and the pain had already gone on for five weeks I'd find the best acupuncturist near me and give it a try. If foreign objects are still in you the infection would probably be to the red-streaks-up-your-arm stage and you would have mentioned antibiotics, etc. and be freaking (been there, done that) out. Lots of pressure points in the hands and feet and I would at least entertain the possibility that some of the cactus thorns randomly and detrimentally got inserted into nerves. Let someone that knows what inserting needle-like objects into the wrong places might do and see if they can counter it with the "correct" insertions...so to speak. That's the first thing that came to mind when I read this. But find someone that studied in China and has a stellar reputation. The best I've ever had at relieving pain lives in Charlotte, NC. Good luck with finding relief. Years of putting up with your symptoms doesn't sound remotely acceptable. I wish you the best.

Thanks for the kind words and advice, everyone. The left hand is progressively getting better but it was least damaged. The right hand (my picking hand) well, we shall see. Gotta find a open MRI as I discovered this morning I can't manage the closed one. At least I can still strum a little!

jg2, Different radiology exams find different things, depending on the medium (tissue, bone, etc) and the possible pathogen or inflammation.

If your left had was less injured, and is getting better - I believe your right hand will follow suite.

As I'm sure you know - there are lots of bad things that can wind up on cacti thorns. But, given where you are now - I would think time will ve the best medicine. Soaking in warm salt water, or water with boric acid.

Good Luck friend !

I'm an MRI radiologist and I have seen it a few times, typically palm fronds out here in the west but really any thorns or splinters can do it. Inflammation, retained foreign bodies, and infection are the big problems with it. Best of luck with it.

Haven't heard of it, that's bad news. On a side note, I had an 80 year old friend who was the healthiest looking 80 year old I've ever seen. He raked his arm across a corn plant leaf and caught some kind of fungus. He died in a week. Bizarre.

I know just what you are going through. I've had the same intermittent problem over the past few years. Originally we thought it was due to a sort of puncture injury. A thorn, a splinter, a nail?, a spider bite. I had one real bad summer a few years ago, a lost summer for sure. It did clear up somewhat and returns now and then.After all this, my Doc said get used to it, "old age has found you". Guess it finds us all!

• 3 years later...

Hey there,  

I know it's been a few years, but what conclusion did you come to? Did the MRI show microscopic pieces of the cacti? I stepped on a misquite thorn almost two weeks ago. Its continued to be painful. Though I don't believe it to be infected,  I worry about plant thorn arthritis! Hearing Your experience is appreciated !

• 11 months later...

Hey, I hope you good.

I got accidentally stabbed my hand by mesquite thorn, it has been a month still bone swelling lasts. Took antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs for 2 weeks. A couple of doctors I've seen has no idea they just give some pain killers. I'm really worried about plant thorn arthritis.  What was your results because mine seems like your problem?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I know it's been a few years since this post was active.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any updates.  While trimming a bouganvilla tree, a large branch fell on my foot and a thorn went through my shoe.  My foot immediately swelled and then the swelling went down after a few days.  Fast forward a few month and my foot was still swelling by the end of the day, but no pain.  Went to ortho where he poked and prodded (does this hurt here?  there?) and by the next day I had intense swelling and pain.  An ultrasound and MRI didn't show anything.  I've done some reading and came across these posts about thorn-prick arthritis and I'm beginning to wonder if that's my problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the cause.   I read a story (20 years ago?) visiting an abandoned homestead from the 1800s in Big Bend. A family went there to try to establish a small ranch.  The wife/mother was stuck by a cactus, developed an infection and soon died. The father and his children abandoned the ranch and moved back East.   There's one type of cactus out there  they call 'Horse Killers'.   I don't think it's the thorns per se - it's what they have on them, built up in the months since the last rain storm - to inject into you.  G'Luck ! 

@Brenda32720I also just got stabbed  with my bougainvillea and stumbled on this post, lol. Mine happened while pruning and I got stuck really hard right in the knuckle of my ring finger. It’s got a large swollen area that’s is very red and warm. I’m afraid it’s this plant thorn arthritis, from the sound of it. Unfortunately, everything I’m reading says surgery is the only answer. 🥺 It just happened yesterday, and it has gotten worse, it’s very painful. I guess I’ll see what tomorrow holds. I’d love to hear any updates of your own! Best of luck