Gibson Brands Forums

What pick up for my J-50???

SkyRider

Just got me 2002 J-50. Sounds great!

What pick up would you guys recommend?

I play mostly church worship music and I many strumm sing along. When playing at church it would be with piano, drum, bass, and vocals.

Thanks!

image_zpsty8iq9ad.jpeg

I have four pick ups in various guitars:

1.) Baggs M-80 played in passive mode through a Red Eye Pre-amp.

This works great if you have concerns about feedback when playing with a band or in a real noisy uncontrolled environment. It is a mag, but to me has the most natural sound of any mag. I have that in the D-28, Tweedy 00 DB and the Southern Jumbo TV.

2.) K&K Mini played through the Red Eye (love the Red Eye!!). This is a good, solid reasonably priced pick up. I have this in the 1948 J-50. I do have to tame the low end a bit with some EQ, but it is very easy to do.

3.) Baggs Anthem through the Red Eye. This is a quality pick up that you blend the mic sound with the UST. I use this in the SCGC Roy Smeck guitar. I have found I go a bit heavier on the UST because the mic alone (or too much) sounds thin to me. Again an easy adjustment.

4.) Schatten Passive through the Red Eye. This is a Canadian brand that you don't see a lot in the States, but I am really impressed with it. It compares quite favorably (maybe even a little better) to the K & K IMHO. I have it in a Canadian made Halcyon that is the body style based on the Nick Lucas Gibson.

All of these work well at my gigs. For any new purchases (don't see that any time soon!) I would probably go with either the K & K or the Schatten.

Trade it in for a Taylor. Will already be wired up for you and Taylors seem to be the guitar of choice for worship music. Unplugged, I have no use for Taylors, but plugged in they're great. Another option is the Martin performing artist series.

Sounds like a question for the AGF crowd. That place is crawling with worship players. The crowd in these parts seems a little more, um, corrupt!

Can't be all that bad if they have guitars involved now!

No relation to the gloomy, dour thing with no music my parents made me go to - well, my younger brother and I got the coins from mum, went in the front door and straight out the back door and off to all points, like the Devil himself was chasing us and from what we read now of all the goings on, he probably came from that very same place!

If they had guitars, little BK777 could have been lead astray easily! [mellow]

Oh, pickup for the J50? I have lots of them but have most success running through a Fishman Aura, which is the key, so Fishman u/s or Baggs u/s don't matter so much with the Aura - both sound great. Even better is my Martin with Aura onboard!

BluesKing777.

Well it's no surprise that I like Trance Audio pickups. 3 of my guitars are Amulet equipped . I also play at church through a stereo DI direct to the board and get a very good tone that blends well with the other guitars (no Taylor's [flapper] ) using either stereo or mono Amulet.

My 1st choice the stereo Amulet 2nd is the Amulet MVT it's not Stereo but is very good on a par with the more expensive Amulet. I have guitars with UST's and IMO they don't come close.

Well it's no surprise that I like Trance Audio pickups. 3 of my guitars are Amulet equipped . I also play at church through a stereo DI direct to the board and get a very good tone that blends well with the other guitars (no Taylor's [flapper] ) using either stereo or mono Amulet.

My 1st choice the stereo Amulet 2nd is the Amulet MVT it's not Stereo but is very good on a par with the more expensive Amulet. I have guitars with UST's and IMO they don't come close.

I also have three Gibson's with Trance systems. I played in a very good Church band for about 10 years. The Taylor won the duties when I needed an acoustic to cut through the piano, drums and horns. The Electric ones came out when needed.

How big is your church? Do you need a pickup? How about a microphone?

Personally, I kind of hate pickups. None of them sound like the guitar, not even the best ones. You might as well be playing a solidbody acoustic for all it matters with most of them. People go on and on about the soundboard transducers as being such a great improvement, but they still just sound like piezo to me.

I am enjoying the Baggs Anthem on my SJ-200. It is an undersaddle transducer (which I hate) mixed with an internal mic that mostly only picks up the soundboard. To me, it's the only real improvement since pickups began. I also have a Baggs Lyric on my J-15, which is the same mic as the Anthem but without any undersaddle transducer. I prefer this.

However, a mic, any mic, beats even the Anthem and the Lyric.

I play with a mic whenever possible. When I have to use a pickup, whether the Lyric or the Anthem, I still put a mic in front of the guitar and let them turn it down, but at least I still get a little in there.

Archived